Christmas gifts for garbageman and newspaper delivery person

disneypharm

DIS Veteran
A few days ago, our garbageman and newspaper delivery person left envelopes for us. I assume they are for Christmas gifts. We have never seen them before, so I probably have to use the envelope to mail them something. Do you give your garbageman and newspaper delivery person gifts or cash for Christmas? Thanks

A few days ago, our garbageman and newspaper delivery person left envelopes for us. I assume they are for Christmas gifts. We have never seen them before, so I probably have to use the envelope to mail them something. Do you give your garbageman and newspaper delivery person gifts or cash for Christmas? Thanks

We give them both a cash/check each Christmas. The newspaper delivery person gets a check send to them. We take a card with cash to the garbage (our cans sit in a holding area, otherwise we would send a check.

We give them both a cash/check each Christmas. The newspaper delivery person gets a check send to them. We take a card with cash to the garbage (our cans sit in a holding area, otherwise we would send a check.

Thanks. How about a gift card? How much would be a right amount. DH thinks $20 per person.

We used to give our garbage man (years ago, when we had a really nice one who would go back and bring the trash down if we ever forgot, and took care to put the cans back on the driveway/sidewalk rather than leaving them in the street) a case of pepsi and a small basket of homemade cookies.

Now, we don't really give anything (at least I don't think we do; my parents pay the trash bill so I don't know what they do). But, I'm sure the envelopes are for a holiday tip of some sort. What it is though is up to you. :)

I have never given gifts to either. Our local paper is delivered by kids and we tip them during their monthly collections since you never know when a new kid will take the route over.

Wow, that seems a bit presumptuous to me! Leaving envelopes for you tip them... :confused3

We don't get the newspaper so no delivery boy to tip & our garbage men don't even have to get out of the truck anymore... they just drive up & use a mechanical arm on the truck to pick up the trash. Another truck comes by and does the same with the recycling.

honestly I tip anyone with a pulse at Christmas but no the trash men. This question had me pondering WHY. Maybe b/c they have mechanical arms on the trash truck and they NEVER get out of the truck ...hmm...mail lady doesn't get off that often yet I tip her. Maybe it is b/c if I have one bit of trash that didn't fit in the bin they refuse to take it...I too got tip envelopes from them and the recycle guy to which I argued to Dh recycling is NOT mandatory. If I didn't recycle he wouldn't have a job...thus no tip really from me..

I would never tip anyone who left me an envelope expecting a tip. :eek:

I would not tip the trash pickup crew or the newspaper delivery person. Both are being paid by their companies and are not tipped positions. Now if the trash man would come into the garage and get my trash instead of me bringing it down to the street, I would tip. Tips are for exceptional service, not "thanks for doing your job".

We gave our mailperson a $25 gift card to a local store. When she sees me out in the yard, she will bring things to me, depending what they are, of course. I think she does a great job, and it's a Thank you to her.

We have left gifts for our trash people. Gift cards as well.

I would not tip the trash pickup crew or the newspaper delivery person. Both are being paid by their companies and are not tipped positions. Now if the trash man would come into the garage and get my trash instead of me bringing it down to the street, I would tip. Tips are for exceptional service, not "thanks for doing your job".

DITTO! ITA! :worship::worship::thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I also do not tip these people. I feel like it's their job to do what they are doing. That being said, if I felt they have gone above and beyond their call of duty I might be inclined to give them a little something, but more like treats of some sort. I'm not even exchanging gifts with my own brother in an effort for us to save money, so why would I give it to someone I don't even know? That's of course just my humble opinion :).

Wow, that seems a bit presumptuous to me! Leaving envelopes for you tip them... :confused3

We don't get the newspaper so no delivery boy to tip & our garbage men don't even have to get out of the truck anymore... they just drive up & use a mechanical arm on the truck to pick up the trash. Another truck comes by and does the same with the recycling.

Our garbage men actually printed out slips telling us that if we wanted to leave them gifts, they appreciate it...and the names of the drivers. I don't tip the garbage men, but after that note, I certainly am not about to start now. I find it very tacky to ask for gifts.

THIS.

That said, our mail lady, who is always super friendly, gets the same gift as our daughter's bus driver...a gift bag with some candles, chocolates, and a gift card to Dunkin Donuts.

Garbage man? We have a truck with just a driver and a big arm that picks up our bin. He never even gets out.

Paper carrier? We used to but our route got a new one last summer and the paper comes too late for me to read it before I leave. We just got our renewal and we are not renewing, besides I can now read several papers online now.

Letter carrier? We get mail for other addresses all the time now. No idea where mine goes before it gets here. Besides, my bills are now all online.

Nope, I don't tip any of the above. Garbage men (who only drive the truck, it isn't like they actually touch the garbage), mail carrier, bus drivers, etc.

Those envelopes would be going directly into the recycling bin.

Neither! This irritates the you know what out of me and those envelopes go right in the trash. We don't get the paper and our mail and trash people do their jobs and are very nicely compensated (trust me, mail men and garbage men in our area make good money).

If someone would go way above and beyond, I would consider it (but definitely not when they leave me an envelope!), but not when they are just doing their jobs.

I have delivered papers at 4 am for the past 3 years (it is my vacation fund/child support to myself fund as ex-dh works under the table and hasn't paid anything in years).

Yes, we do get paid by the paper company but it is awful when you break it down (it equals about .03 per house a day). This is a 7 day a week 365 day a year job and especially in my neck of the woods, the weather bites this time of year. When a paper gets stolen or missed the company charges (back to the carrier) $1.00 M-F and $5.00 weekends for just one paper so you can really lose out if some vandal/teens decide to mess around. A carrier is also charged for all of the rubber bands and plastic bags if needed. The newspaper company (at least where I am from) tells you up front that the majority of your pay is dependent upon tips so YES, please remember your paper carriers.

I would not go as far as to leave envelopes with my customers, but I did hand out a little holiday greeting card with M&M treats just to be nice (but I have had the same route for 3 years and they are all used to me being friendly).

No different than all those STUPID tip jars that are popping up on just about every fast food counter...

Tipping has gotten way out of hand in America. Everyone nowadays EXPECTS a tip for just doing their job.

Ugh. My work hours are when the UPS and mail people come. I knew the UPS driver was delivering today, so I placed my gift in an envelope and placed it on the wreath on our front door labeled for her. I placed the mail lady's gift in the mail box and put the flag up.

I was so happy to be able to give them something since I ordered most of my holiday stuff online. They delivered at least 20 things to my house in this past month.

When I got home I saw that the envelopes were gone, but then I learned the regular UPS driver and the regular mail lady were not on their routes. Both drivers were temp drivers. But what can I do when I'm working when they arrive?

That will teach me to place out random envelopes. Now my regular UPS and USPS delivery people got nothing from me, but someone I don't know got it.

Stupid, stupid me. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter