• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas fares...will they ever go down??

(if you need a rental car BOOK NOW, it's not unheard of for them to sell out!)

:scared1: okay, you definitely got my attention! I have left this detail until last, thinking I would find better deals closer to my dates, waiting for coupon offers, etc......... may have to get serious in my searching!
I NEVER rent cars so I don't have a ballpark figure to guide me on whether or not we find a good deal :confused3
I was much more confident about the range of airfare we could expect.
Any tips?? :surfweb:

We are returning 1/2. We will fly out 12/23 if the inlaws do not have a fit and 12/25 if they do! I know I need to know the day we are flying out but I have not seen any real good fares especially for non-stop.

Anyone know when SW will go on sale. I really wish that had the resort check in.

What is your price range for a 'good fare' ? What airports are you considering?
SW will release fares on 4/17 for travel thru Oct (I believe) so you can count on fares only being out 6 months before travel. :scared: and it sounds like everyone and their mother are waiting for those tickets!! :eek:

Remember the single busiest week at Disney is the week between Christmas and New Years...... It's also an overall incredibly busy travel time.

The combination means things get TIGHT! A few years ago we were doing the Disney Cruise and returning on something like 12/20 and planning to spend a few days at Disney before flying home. The rental car prices were so high it made more sense to rent a car and park it at the port for three days as that got me the "pre Christmas" deal. On about 12/19 the rates went up and don't come back down until 1/3 or so. Coupons etc are often blacked out.

My suggestiong book your rental car now. If you get lucky and find a better deal you can cancel, but this is one week when demand outstrips supply!

Found a good rate going out of Indy on Northwestern. Can anyone tell me real quick their cancellation policy and if they do the resort luggage and airline check in. thanks!

OK. On almost ALL airlines this there is no "refund" (SW may or may not be an exception)

If you book the airfares you see now for the price you like you are buying a non-refundable. It means just that.....

If you cancel or change you will be charged. Change fees range from $50 a ticket to $100 a ticket. If you cancel, you will have the credit (less the change fee) to use on a future ticket. Often ONLY the ticketed passenger can used the credit, that depends on the airline.

SW does not charge a change fee, but does have "credits" There have been reports of refunds, but the rules don't say they have to give them to you.

Now remember it makes NO difference which airline you take TOO the resort, they all get your luggage transported to Disney.

On the return I believe NW is a Resort Check in participating carrier. SW is not as of now.....

Remember the single busiest week at Disney is the week between Christmas and New Years...... It's also an overall incredibly busy travel time.

On about 12/19 the rates went up and don't come back down until 1/3 or so. Coupons etc are often blacked out.

My suggestiong book your rental car now. If you get lucky and find a better deal you can cancel, but this is one week when demand outstrips supply!

Thanks CarolA!!
we will be there during the single busiest week ;) due to schedules and we are expecting the huge crowds and waiting in lines.....

I will read the rental cancellation policies, since I am unfamiliar with them. Nice to know I won't lose out if a better deal comes along! I saw a rental a few weeks ago a bit over $200 and then most of them in the $500-600 range :scared: definitely won't spend more on a car that sits in a driveway to be used occassionally than I did for airfare! :laughing:

Thanks CarolA!!
we will be there during the single busiest week ;) due to schedules and we are expecting the huge crowds and waiting in lines.....

I will read the rental cancellation policies, since I am unfamiliar with them. Nice to know I won't lose out if a better deal comes along! I saw a rental a few weeks ago a bit over $200 and then most of them in the $500-600 range :scared: definitely won't spend more on a car that sits in a driveway to be used occassionally than I did for airfare! :laughing:

I make 6-7 car reservations for each of my vacations. I doesn't cost anything to make and then cancel the reservation. I don't care if it goes down by 3 or 4 dollars, that's an extra snack in my book!

I found a mid-size car with Budget for 354 (for 12/24-1/2) using the Dis discount link on the main page. There are many codes and I was very overwhelmed by the car rental process when I first started renting. I signed up for Mousesavers and read all about the codes and coupons. I'm going to keep checking my car reservation for Christmas, but it's at a price I can live with right now.

Thanks Jacksmom!! :thumbsup2
I will start my searching and reserving now, knowing I can continue to change closer to our vacation.
If I find a better deal, I'll post it for you to check out!

We were there for Xmas last year and I had very little trouble with tickets compared to what I am going through for Thanksgiving this year. It's a similar problem with the high demand for travel on a few specific days. AA out of STL is currently $802 per person (and hasn't been any lower than $678 since bookings were available) and that's at least three times more than the most we've paid in the past. I'm going to have to sweat out the SWA release date—probably not until June—for our dates and book immediately.

We were there for Xmas last year and I had very little trouble with tickets compared to what I am going through for Thanksgiving this year. It's a similar problem with the high demand for travel on a few specific days. AA out of STL is currently $802 per person (and hasn't been any lower than $678 since bookings were available) and that's at least three times more than the most we've paid in the past. I'm going to have to sweat out the SWA release date—probably not until June—for our dates and book immediately.

American was very high out of St. Louis but I saw the same out of Indy and Chicago. I am really surprised because there St. Louis rates are usually pretty good.

I usually fly Airtran but we shall see this time. Northwestern's rate looks good but I have to make the 3 hour trip to Indy.

Thanks Jacksmom!! :thumbsup2
I will start my searching and reserving now, knowing I can continue to change closer to our vacation.
If I find a better deal, I'll post it for you to check out!

Thanks!
Some you may want to try (and keep trying)
Walmart code for alamo 430710 (extra driver is free).
If you belong to BJ's or Costco, check their websites for codes and coupons.
And check this board frequently....someone always posts a code or coupon.

Good luck!

I have an almost two hundred dollar credit with Jetblue. So, can anyone guess how much a one way flight coming back from Orlando to Portland Maine might be?

Charleyann

Open up already!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter