Christmas at Tokyo DL

escape

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>I don't buy it. I'm
I am so excited, my dream is coming true. I'm going to Japan! Woohoo! Unfortunately, the trip will be short. I will only have six full days (excluding travel). With such a short time, I feel a little guilty for wanting to include a couple of Disney days but being the Disney nut that I am, I've got to go. :blush:

Has anyone here been to TDL during the Christmas holidays (Dec 25-30)? With what little reading I've done so far, I've got to assume that this will be one of the busiest times, much like it is for the parks in the states. I wish I could take the trip another time but it's not an option at this time.

Dec 25 is on Saturday this year. I would LOVE to go on that day but with it being a holiday and a weekend, I know it would be miserably crowded. So, we're thinking about going on Dec 29 & 30 - Wed & Thurs. I'm *hoping* (keeping my fingers crossed) that the weekdays during that week will be a little less crowded but realistically, not expecting it to be.

If you've been there during this time and can tell me a little about the crowds, going in colder weather or have any tips or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your input. I'm just really excited to be given this opportunity of a lifetime. I can hardly wait. :teeth:

Thanks!

The Christmas celebration ends on the 25th, so don't wait to go! We'll be there on the 23 and 24th.

It's busy but not for the same reasons our parks our busy. Christmas is not a holiday in Japan -- but the emperor's birthday is, and it's Dec. 23 (and yes, the holiday changes when the emperor does).

A Japanese crowd calendar predicts that 12/28 ~ 30 would be only moderately crowded.

I am wondering why you think the Christmas holidays would be just as crowded as in the States? Doesn't make much sense to me.....

I was there in August on a Thursday/Friday. The Friday in DL was extremely crowded. We entered the park 40 minutes after opening, and almost all rides had wait times posted at 60 minutes plus. But the FP system works VERY well at TDL - much better than in the US, and we were able to do everything we wanted to do. You MUST take advantage of FP.

You shouldn't feel guilty about going to Disney Sea. it is a breath-taking experience for any Disney fan, and you will cherish it forever.

Just wanted to add my opinion, "Christmas" is celebrated here, maybe not for the same reasons as in Western countries or whatever, but it will be extra-crowed around that time because school is out and a lot of people have vacation at the time (I know I do). I have been to TDLR 2 times, and both times it was much more crowded than anything I have ever seen at WDW or DL, but as one of the posters above stated, the fast passes work great so as long as you get there AT LEAST an hour early and head straight to the big attractions, you should be fine. And have fun!! I am totally jealous!

Just my two cents, I went to Disney Sea on Dec 30 last year and it was definitely very crowded.

We only ended up doing 1 ride (and 2 or 3 shows), but did have 2 meals at the nicer restaurants -- I should say we weren't rushing trying to fit in a bunch of things, and didn't mind taking it slow. But we definitely did not want to wait in any of the 2-3 hour lines. It was fine for me because I'd been so many times, but make sure you figure out how to budget your time, find out exactly what you want to see beforehand!

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I suspected it would be crowded but it's the only time I have to go.

shelemm, yeah, I knew they didn't celebrate Christmas like we do; obviously, I wasn't thinking right when I originally posted. However, I had read somewhere that it was a busy time due to other holidays and school out for the kids. Niomi & movingthestars kind of confirmed that.

voleball - I looked at the calendar you are referencing. Interesting. It would be nice if it were moderately crowded and not super-crowded.

Originally, we were thinking two days at TDR. There is a possibility that we can do 3 days - 28, 29 & 30. However, I'm not sure I want to give up some of my Tokyo time. We'll see. I went to DLP a couple of years ago during Christmas break and it was a mad house. It took me an hour just to get into the park (I didn't purchase my ticket ahead of time.) I won't go to WDW or DL during this time due to the crowds. Being the Disney fan I am, I'll just suck it up and go and take advantage of fast passes. :D

I can't wait! Woohoo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter