Choosing Use Year - am I missing any factors to consider

Anthony Vito

DIS Veteran
So . . . we are in the process of buying direct at Copper Creek. We've paid the deposit, but because we're in Delaware, we have to wait to sign the final paperwork (they're not registered to finance in DE, so they can't mail the contract for financing, however we can actually sign it when we're there soon).

We bought a guaranteed week - Week 48. This week is usually the first week in December. However, some years (like next year - 2020), this week begins at the very end of November. CCV is currently selling December Use Years. Because it's a guaranteed week, they automatically book it for us about a year out, but we can opt out of it and use the points elsewhere if we choose.

The wrinkle is the December UY with the sometimes November start to our week. What they will do, we're told, is just borrow points from the next UY for those few days in November. If we're using that week, it's not a big deal and it evens out without a problem. Where we foresee a potential hiccup is if we opt out of that week. We would then have in that scenario points from the next UY borrowed into the current year, but now not being used on a reservation. Our understanding is that those points would then be stuck in that year, so we'd have to use them. We'd also have to make sure in using the points that those points are used before older points that we could actually bank if needed. It's pretty confusing, and we're still wrapping our heads around the whole Use Year/borrowing/banking, etc. My guess is that if this became an issue, Member Services might be able to finesse things a bit given the somewhat unusual situation.

However, our sales guide (who was not that well-versed in Guaranteed Week contracts, but has been great) got his manager to approve making our Use Year for October instead, and has given us the option to switch to October instead of December, thus eliminating any potential issues. I understand this would mean we'd have to bank two months earlier, but May 31st doesn't seem too bad for banking, since we'll know our summer plans by then.

So this seems like it should be an easy decision to go with October, but given that we actually have a choice, I'm just wondering if there are some other factors that we should consider.

Thanks and sorry for the long lead-up for what's probably a simple question.

Your guide is making a good decision for you, you want a UY that is a month or 2 before your usual stays, which with the fixed week is always set for you. I would most definitely take the October UY, this is cheap insurance in case you have to cancel your trip, that way even if your points go into holding you will have till the next October to try and book another trip.

I agree - I think an October UY makes a lot more sense for you than a December UY. No need to worry about whether the juggling/borrowing will work out every time - you've got a lot of years ahead of you! And congrats on your decision to buy a GW - I think that was very wise as well.

Absolutely the October UY. I'm very surprised they were even contemplating giving you a Dec UY for that fixed week.

Absolutely the October UY. I'm very surprised they were even contemplating giving you a Dec UY for that fixed week.

Well, December is what they're currently selling. Our guide called me the other day and said he thought October would be better and went to his manager with it to see if he could offer the option to us, and he was surprised how easily they just approved it and hadn't just told him from the start that he could do that.

Reactions: STA
You would be poorly served with a Dec UY GW48 due to all the tightrope accounting member services would need to do. I echo what the other posters say about Oct UY, that would streamline the process and you’re paying the premium for an easier booking time...not a harder one! Best of luck

Now that I think about what a nightmare that would become if (when) they reallocate...how many points would they borrow?

With the projected eventual changes in charts, this would be especially acute for you because W48 straddles Choice and Adventure Seasons and if it is the year where there are more November days the point shortage would be even greater and would they cause you to borrow more? Leaving you short the next year. It hurts my head just taking all the variables into account. This problem is unique to GW48 by the way, but it’s my favorite week ever for WDW so big congrats! I am glad that due to the hiccup with papers, it bought you a bit of time for this to be resolved.

Well, December is what they're currently selling. Our guide called me the other day and said he thought October would be better and went to his manager with it to see if he could offer the option to us, and he was surprised how easily they just approved it and hadn't just told him from the start that he could do that.

That's the company line but not completely correct. They have every UY available to sell and if a new buyer were to ask for something specific it would be done. I'm glad that your guide finally started realizing it wasn't good but it should have been done from the start. It really would have been a terrible mistake for you to have an overlap like that. Virtually any other UY would have been better than December.

Now that I think about what a nightmare that would become if (when) they reallocate...how many points would they borrow?

With the projected eventual changes in charts, this would be especially acute for you because W48 straddles Choice and Adventure Seasons and if it is the year where there are more November days the point shortage would be even greater and would they cause you to borrow more? Leaving you short the next year. It hurts my head just taking all the variables into account. This problem is unique to GW48 by the way, but it’s my favorite week ever for WDW so big congrats! I am glad that due to the hiccup with papers, it bought you a bit of time for this to be resolved.

Thanks! We haven't been yet during Christmastime, but we're excited about it. As far as the reallocation/higher point totals, because we got the Guaranteed Week, we actually don't have to worry about that - no matter what the points charts do, we're locked into 118 points for Week 48. So right now that's a 10% premium over the usual 107, but if that changes and that week requires more points, we'd still only have to use 118. One of the benefits that attracted us to the GW.

Arghhh! I've been reading too many threads this afternoon. Someone posted the Guaranteed Week points chart for Riviera (how many points required to buy for that week in a given villa) and the dates each GV week begins for the next several years. The weeks were grouped by Use Year - and week 48 was definitely placed in the October UY, as it should be. I can't find the thread or I'd post a link to it here.

Maybe the guide wasn't as familiar with GWs as he should be (reportedly, many are not) and just had December UY in his brain since that's what they're routinely offering right now. But as Kathy says, they have every UY available to sell.

Thanks! We haven't been yet during Christmastime, but we're excited about it. As far as the reallocation/higher point totals, because we got the Guaranteed Week, we actually don't have to worry about that - no matter what the points charts do, we're locked into 118 points for Week 48. So right now that's a 10% premium over the usual 107, but if that changes and that week requires more points, we'd still only have to use 118. One of the benefits that attracted us to the GW.

I think DVC will be selling a lot more guaranteed weeks from now on, at least to the people who know about the infamous 2020 reallocation debacle.

Glad everything worked out for you and your family.

Reactions: STA

Yes I understand about the set points usage in a typical GW contract (I have a few myself ).

But the unusual aspect of the GW crossing use years and causing member services to force borrow from the next year to compensate, sets one up for dealing with whatever the current point requirements... would be tricky.

When they automagically make your first reservation you may notice that they will make the regular booking using the current rate then manually remove the 10% excess so you are zeroed out.

The problem would be if they did the manual book and they borrowed points, I don’t know what chart they would use...the prevailing one...the one from 2019...the variables are mind boggling. And what happens when you decide to convert to points? I suppose they’d have to break their own rules to allow return to original use year etc. Far too much drama for a product that is designed to give you peace of mind :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter