Children under 5 Covid vaccination

On Safe Passage site, our vaccinated DS4 was updated to “Testing at Port - No Order Required” just like user four42two says.
Thanks for the update.

Someone on my cruise spoke to DCL and the agent could not guarantee it would work, but recommended testing their vaccinated kids two days before and bringing the results to the port. I plan on trying it. Make them explain to me in person why my vaccinated kid is being treated differently. (The DCL agent also implied that part of the problem was Inspire Diagnostics not updating their systems, which would explain why you're not even given an option to upload test results.)

I just got an email from DCL regarding my email asking about if my vaccinated child will be treated as a vaccinated guest and only require the one test up to 2 days before. DCL said that the testing requirements would not change for my vaccinated 3 year old and that she is required to have a PCR test 3 days prior to sailing and test at port. The email said that currently DCL is not changing the testing policy for under 5 year olds that have now been vaccinated.

So that’s a very different answer then what the website would suggest and what safe passages has said. I am angry by this email cause it doesn’t make sense my vaccinated child isn’t treated like all other vaccinated children and I’m frustrated cause idk if this email is accurate or the other conflicting information that others are getting.

I just got an email from DCL regarding my email asking about if my vaccinated child will be treated as a vaccinated guest and only require the one test up to 2 days before. DCL said that the testing requirements would not change for my vaccinated 3 year old and that she is required to have a PCR test 3 days prior to sailing and test at port. The email said that currently DCL is not changing the testing policy for under 5 year olds that have now been vaccinated.

So that’s a very different answer then what the website would suggest and what safe passages has said. I am angry by this email cause it doesn’t make sense my vaccinated child isn’t treated like all other vaccinated children and I’m frustrated cause idk if this email is accurate or the other conflicting information that others are getting.
For what it's worth, the email you got is consistent with what shoreside concierge told me. But it seems that DCL and Safe Passage are not exactly in sync here, since Safe Passage allowed me (and others, according to previous posts) to submit vaccination cards for our under-5 guests, without the need to do a PCR test.

The approach we're taking to this inconsistent messaging is to go along with the Safe Passage process - submit vaccination card, show up to the port, and test on the day of sailing - regardless of what DCL is saying. It doesn't seem to me that DCL is going to double-check Safe Passage's work, and so if Safe Passage is okay with it, that should be enough. I guess there's a small risk that we'll have trouble at the port, but if so, I'll let this group know next Friday.

I agree that it's frustrating. I would love the messaging to be clear and consistent, and I would love even more not to have to test at the port. But I think that following the Safe Passage process is the best bet to a smooth embarkation.

Yup, I got the same email from the DCL reservations address. Frustrating doesn't even begin to cover it!

Thanks for the update.

Someone on my cruise spoke to DCL and the agent could not guarantee it would work, but recommended testing their vaccinated kids two days before and bringing the results to the port. I plan on trying it. Make them explain to me in person why my vaccinated kid is being treated differently. (The DCL agent also implied that part of the problem was Inspire Diagnostics not updating their systems, which would explain why you're not even given an option to upload test results.)
Thanks for that. We would do a batch of online proctored testing anyways, so we will do that. If it works, great, and only cost $15. If it doesn’t, nothing has changed, and we will just carry on.

I wonder how much of the "required to test at port" is an actual policy decision versus a limitation of the current design/flow of the Safe Passage site. It can't hurt to bring some advance tests to the port in hopes that they might let you skip testing.

Is there anyone with an under-5 who has gone or will go on a European sailing? We are on the Transatlantic sailing so our screening will be done by Prenetics. Generally I wouldn't expect that to matter much, but it's much more interesting considering inconsistencies between Safe Passage and DCL customer service responses.

I wonder how much of the "required to test at port" is an actual policy decision versus a limitation of the current design/flow of the Safe Passage site. It can't hurt to bring some advance tests to the port in hopes that they might let you skip testing.
Yeah, I was wondering if the system is designed to force kids 5 and under to test at the port no matter what.

I decided to go ahead and email this same question to Prenetics for our European/Transatlantic sailing. I figured that it couldn't hurt and would give us a response from another screening authority (Prenetics vs Safe Passage vs DCL).

I will let you know what I hear back.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I heard back from Prenetics (in less than 12 hours!).

I'm pasting the custom part of their response here since I know that the wording is super important on these:
I can confirm that under 5s that are considered fully vaccinated will undergo the same testing requirements as 5 and older fully vaccinated individuals.

The CDC defines fully vaccinated as 14 days after receiving:

a single-dose of an accepted 1-dose vaccine

the second dose of an accepted 2-dose vaccine

the full series of an active (not placebo) COVID-19 vaccine in the U.S.-based AstraZeneca or Novavax COVID-19 vaccine trials

the second dose of any “mix-and-match” combination of accepted COVID-19 vaccines (administered at least 17 days apart)

14 days before embarkation when adding vaccination documents for the under 5s, please reach out to us with the children's proof of vaccinations as our system only accept vaccinations for 5 and older individuals. We will be able to upload these on your behalf.

So that at least sounds encouraging and consistent with the Safe Passage experience (or perhaps a bit better since it seems to imply that you could test in advance with an antigen test as well).

Fingers crossed that it is in fact accurate. :)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I heard back from Prenetics (in less than 12 hours!).

I'm pasting the custom part of their response here since I know that the wording is super important on these:

So that at least sounds encouraging and consistent with the Safe Passage experience (or perhaps a bit better since it seems to imply that you could test in advance with an antigen test as well).

Fingers crossed that it is in fact accurate. :)

I wish safe passage and DCL had the same response. This is how it should be! Under 5’s that are vaccinated should be treated like any other vaccinated person that is over 5

Unfortunately, I still wouldn't rely on that being accurate. It obviously hasn't been updated for kids under 5, because it doesn't address Pfizer, which is a three-dose vaccine for kids under five.

This part is reassuring: I can confirm that under 5s that are considered fully vaccinated will undergo the same testing requirements as 5 and older fully vaccinated individuals. (But where is that reflected in Disney policy?)

GOOD NEWS!!!

I just spoke to Zoe from Shoreside Guest Services. She stated that Safe Passage system will not allow us to upload test results, however, kids under 5 who are vaccinated will be treated the same as everyone else for testing purposes! She advised me to bring his vaccination card and test results to the port. We will most likely be directed to the testing area to provide the info to the Safe Passage agents for approval.

I love that within days of each other, we all got different responses from the different folks involved with the cruise line and testing. Clearly, the requirements for under 5 who are vaccinated are clear as mud

I love that within days of each other, we all got different responses from the different folks involved with the cruise line and testing. Clearly, the requirements for under 5 who are vaccinated are clear as mud

Disney is very much in 'Who's on first' mode. For one of the largest, most recognized companies in the world, I kinda expect better. I don't know why, by now, but it still always surprises me how they can be so inept in some ways and have such bad IT.

Yeah, she mentioned they hadn't communicated the policy yet but were letting people know who inquired about it. Who knows if that's true or we just complained enough for them to realize it was a problem!

GOOD NEWS!!!

I just spoke to Zoe from Shoreside Guest Services. She stated that Safe Passage system will not allow us to upload test results, however, kids under 5 who are vaccinated will be treated the same as everyone else for testing purposes! She advised me to bring his vaccination card and test results to the port. We will most likely be directed to the testing area to provide the info to the Safe Passage agents for approval.
That is really great news - thank you for chasing this down! We will definitely be trying this on the 19th when we sail, and will report on our experience.

We were on a July 28-Aug 1 cruise and we got our 4 year the modera the first day it was out. Her second dose put her at being “fully vaccinated” the second day of our cruise. She still had to go through the testing port, but they told us to show her vaccine card at guest services and she shouldn’t have to wear a mask in the kids club or BBB. The kids club had a screen pop up from the computer saying she was fully vaccinated and she didn’t need the mask but the fairy godmother in charge at the BBB said it didn’t matter what it said on the computer if she is under 5 she has to have the mask on. The only thing that really upset me about that was I went to effort for her to be fully vaccinated and there were two little boys around 1-2 waiting for their sisters makeover who didn’t have to wear masks since they weren’t getting makeovers? And I was upset if the rule is the princesss in the chair needs a mask the spectators should have to wear them too, isn’t under 5 under 5?
Anyway, I don’t think all the duck are in a row with this age group yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter