Children Getting Seasick

RobertsMommy

Earning My Ears
HOW MANY OF YOUR CHILDREN HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN SEASICK? I HAVE HEARD THAT ADULTS ARE MORE LIKELY TO GET SEASICK THAN CHILDREN........... JUST CURIOUS BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO DECIDE WHETHER TO GIVE MY 5 YEAR OLD SEASICK MEDS OR JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS! THANKS

He ALWAYS gets car sick, it never fails he vomits on the way to and from Cape Cod every year (about a three hour ride) but in four cruises he has never even has as much as a tummy ache! I would bring some dramamine or seabands to have if you need them but I personally would not dose unless the child needs it. I was SO sure Mike would never be able to cruise or fly and neither bother him at all.

Some kids do and some don't but none of my three have ever gotten seasick. They've been on five cruises. I think if I were you, I think I would wait and see but have the meds just in case. HTH

My dd gets violently ill on cruises if she doesnt keep up on the meds (on the E cruise on 5-1 it didnt matter) and sometimes gets carsick but my 9 year old only complained about it once (I think so he didn't have to go to the kids club) and my 5 year old never complained. I'd make darn sure you were prepared just in case! Nothing is more miserable than motion sickness!

Heidi

it worked for us. before leaving, our pediatrician mentioned green apples. i tend to get seasick, and our DS2, we think he was feeling "something" the first night. he just wasn't his usual self. and we gave him some green apples, and he was fine! and i ate some too, and was fine afterwards! it's amazing, how that is, but that's what happened to us!

we did bring benedryl with us, just in case. our DS4 didn't feel a thing. as for our DS2, it was just for that one night. me, i felt queasy, and i honestly think the green apples helped! am just glad that we didn't have to give meds to our DSs. try it, you never know, but do bring meds, just in case.

good luck! :wave2:

Been on 2 cruises and none of us have ever gotten sick. On our first cruise it was so rough that people were falling into shelves in the gift shops!!! My dds 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 were fine.

My 6 yr old gets carsick after only about 40 minutes in a car so I brought along our chewable dramamine (she's about 40 lbs and I give her 1/2 a tablet). I gave her a dose right before the ship sailed and another dose before bed just to get her through those first hours of feeling the ship movement. She said she felt funny for about 5 minutes but that was it.

It might be worth trying it on your son before the trip so you're aware of any side effects. It doesn't affect my DD at all but makes many kids drowsy.

HTH!

Liz

My daughter is 7 and gets carsick on windy roads. We just got back from the magic on Saturday and she did much better than I thought she would have. Before leaving home I gave her a dose of the non-drowsy dramamine. (We flew to Orlando the morning of our cruise) Then I gave her another dose before boarding the ship around 1:00. I had planned on giving her some more that night but , I forgot. Since she had done so well I decided to hold off and see how she did. She did great and didn't have any problems until on Tuesday night the waters got a little rough and she asked for some and that was all she took the whole trip. My son who is 10 never felt any movement while on the ship. Good Luck!

RSJJ-
Did you bring the green apples aboard on your carry-on or were they available on the ship somewhere? Sounds like a possible alternative to the meds (which I have plenty of anyway, along with the sea bands etc. :D )
Thanks,
Kathy

We have only seen a couple of children sick in 4 cruises, however, the parents seemed to think that too many visits to Scoops may have added to the problem. Kids will be kids eh! We have always found salt and vinegar chips (crisps) help with travel sickness.Just an idea. Nat:Pinkbounc

My DS6 said he never even felt sick. He was fine all week. We brought some children's dramamine and didn't need it. Now Mom on the other ;)

DoomBuggieDriver-
no, i didn't bring them with me. i figured they must have green apples in the kitchen/restaurants. we asked for them from our assistant waiter in our first rotation dinning restaurant. they were the granny smith kind. i guess maybe because of the tartness of it? not sure. anyways, he gave us a bunch, ate only one that night, and we stored the rest in our little fridge thing in the room, but never had to eat them.

it definitely was an alternative to the meds, and am glad they worked for us. on our next cruise, will bring our meds, but will go the green apples route first, again. :wave2:

One cruise (eastern) we were in 20+ foot swells and the kids were animators palette for a drawing class. Most of them started feeling not very well (not necessarily sea sick, just a little woozy). We took our kids up to deck 9, got them some fresh air and some physical activity and in a very short time all was well.

My kids have never been sea sick but some others that have been with us have been. They have used natural ginger. This curtails all. It can be found at most pharmacy's and health food stores. Ginger ale also works.

Just remembered: flat Coca cola is given to children in hospital when they are queazy. Works a treat. Nat:Pinkbounc

My younger brother is very prone to car sickness... we expected the worse out of him on the cruise. SUprisingly... the movement didnt seem to bother him much at all.

The only thing that seemed to bother us was the 1st night we had dinner at the Parrot Cay. Being in the lower part of the boat while still getting used to the boat is a bit... well ... disturbing. You can you feel your equilibrium being set off... so just to be safe. my mother, father, and i all took some bonine and seemed to be just fine.

Also... kids can take childrens benadril for sea sickness... there is some antihistameen in it that prevents it.

SMooth Sailing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter