Children and Sea Sickness-How did your kids do?

Incharge

<font color=deepseagreen>Has a PHOBIA about teeny
I am wondering how your kids held up as far as sea sickness goes. If they became ill, what helped the most, and what is the age for using bands, etc? My GS will be 8. Should I get him a sea band, or is something else better? Do kids have less tendecies to get sea-sick? Perhaps he won't have to use anything, but I just wonder should we come prepared. This is his first cruise as well as my adult daughter.
Thank you

Does your GS get car sick? Does he get motion sickness on theme park rides? If not, most likely he will be perfectly fine and need NOTHING at all. :) My daughter has never needed anything to cruise, and she's cruised five times.

If he IS prone to motion sickness you can try children's Dramamine (before sailing) but it can make kids drowsy. Other folks recommend Benadryl (again, can cause drowsiness), sea bands or ginger.

My 9yo dd gets car sick and didn't get sick on our last cruise. It was very calm. Our first cruise was a Disney Eastern cruise and the waters were a little rough. She was sleeping on the top bunk and got sick. She slept on the bottom after that and was fine :)

My concerns for Michael were for naught - he did great! And he loved watching the horizon go up and down and up and down (GAG!)
He also enjoyed looking at the water from our verandah - especially when the waves were high.

I wear sea bands, but the rest of my family is fine!

Rae

Neither of our kids has gotten sea sick. I've heard that kids are generally less suseptible to this than adults. I will add that the first night around dinner time they "felt" the ship moving but didn't get ill.

Your kids will probably be Ok.

My son does sometimes get car sick and for our first cruise I gave him the very lowest dosage of Dramamine for his age. He did not get sea sick and by the last night, I did not give him any Dramamine either. He did fine when he was taking it and did not get drowsy at all. We did try it before we left to see what the effects would be. That is what his physician suggested. We had a great cruise and are going again in a couple of weeks. I probably will not give him anything until we have a problem.

My son gets car sick alot, so I was concerned. It was the main reason I chose the 4 night vs. 7 night. I bought the seabands.
They wore them around half the time. No one got seasick at all.

Thank you all for the info. I will definately print this page and put with my cruise info:)
When you have never cruised with a child, you don't know what to expect. He does not get sick in the car or on rides at the amusement parks, so he should be fine.
Thanks so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter