Chicken and bird phobia at animal kingdom

I had the same phobia for years (even feathers could set me off). I went to group therapy and it really helped me. I can now go through most of Animal Kingdom with little to no problem. Would not go into any sections dealing mainly with birds though. Went to therapy once a week for about ten weeks.

If you are speaking to me, I know what a bird phobia is. I could not go to the beach and when I worked in Manhattan, NY, I would have to walk blocks out my way through buildings so I would miss the pigeons. The therapy I went to started by having me look at pictures of birds and then slowly worked me up to other things to do. I would have to sit in my car and watch ducks in ponds and things like that. Eventually, I had a small stuffed on the corner of my desk (not that I could touch, but it was there). Therapy can help, but, it is not easy. I still could never be in a room with a bird nor ever touch one but brlieve me, it does help.

I get skinbumps just reading your posts. Yes, even feathers set me off.

I wish i could seek therapy for this. But seeing on Oprah how they gave a whole chicken to someone with this kind of fear, i know i'll never make it at all. My staffs have been kind enough to protect me from bird encounters. I live in a country where there are tons of chickens and birds around.

@MinnieMSue, you're doing a great job with your child. Carry on and she'll outgrow it. My sibs have outgrown their fears, i just got stuck.

Pretty much the whole state is covered in birds. I would definitely try getting therapy for it. They could prescribe something for you and there is also hypnosis as well. Avoid the Flights of Wonder show.

I wish i could seek therapy for this. But seeing on Oprah how they gave a whole chicken to someone with this kind of fear, i know i'll never make it at all. My staffs have been kind enough to protect me from bird encounters. I live in a country where there are tons of chickens and birds around.

@MinnieMSue, you're doing a great job with your child. Carry on and she'll outgrow it. My sibs have outgrown their fears, i just got stuck.

Ok, I just have to chime in that watching OPRAH is in NO WAY akin to seeking therapy from an accredited individual! That was purely for TV and shock value. A professional would never put their patient into a situation like that.

A bird phobia can be conquered or handled just like any other irrational fear. If it affects daily life, like the PP, then I would encourage you to get therapy, as well.

With a phobia that serious, I would avoid AK altogether.

With a phobia that serious, I would avoid Florida... :(

That's not going to help you though, is it? I guess you could talk to Guest Services? They're incredibly sympathetic to guests with unusual concerns and I'm sure they've heard it all.

Not sure how Guest Services can help, there's no way they can get rid of the birds or ensure that the OP will not encounter a bird in the park.

Thanks you all. Dilemma solved. Phobia won, as it always does.

I am sorry for the challenge you are facing. It must be difficult. I don't know if this helps, but I had a friend who was hypnotized not to eat chocolate any more and it worked for her. She was a chocoholic and after the hypnotherapy years later and she still does not care for chocolate.

Good luck? I hope you can enjoy your vacation with your son.

Bird fears are just as real as fears of heights, dark etc. I too have a fear of birds, though not near as serious as yours. There are indeed birds everywhere on property. AK of course is the worst of the parks, but we have had a lot of encounters with "overly friendly" birds at most every resort we have stayed at. What works for me is to avoid being anywhere I would be "trapped" with the birds. That would mean certain places on the trails, of course the bird show etc. I have had no issue on the safari, though they are birds everywhere with the other animals, we had to leave Flame Tree, and I chose to return to the end of the trail where we started rather than go through an area of birds. My worst encounters with birds at AK have been simply walking from area to area between area. Birds just out on the walkway. Not a lot you can do about that. My 6 year old will shoe than away for me:angel:
Good luck, I feel you pain.

As someone with a few hangups myself, please accept that even people who are meaning well may not fully appreciate what you are going through. Myself included.

That said ... dear gods those ibis birds all over epcot?! If I had a bird phobia these things would be like the avian grim reaper of birds. Ok ... sorry.

The sad truth is that you will be exposed to birds nearly every moment of your time out of doors in all of WDW.

It's possible to insulate yourself to some degree. They make mobility scooters with enclosed sun shades that you could use to create a barrier between you and the feathered world.

Have you tried klonopin? Or liquor? (not at the same time). You may not want to consider psychotherapy but perhaps there is a RX therapy that may offer some relief? Get yourself comfortable that way then tackle the deeper issues on the couch.

Have you tried klonopin? Or liquor? (not at the same time). You may not want to consider psychotherapy but perhaps there is a RX therapy that may offer some relief? Get yourself comfortable that way then tackle the deeper issues on the couch.

:rotfl:

DEFINITELY not at the same time! Holy moly! :) But I use klonopin for anxiety and it is a good thing to ask a doctor about and maybe do a trial run at a park with a pond or something. OP, phobias are awful and I wish you the best.

If you don't want to answer you don't have to...but what, OP, do you think is the worst that can happen?

I mean...I get fear of heights and that sort of thing as there's a real issue that there's a danger or risk associated with it. I guess a bird could hurt you a bit or poop on you but have you ever gotten to that point in trying to figure out your fear what you think is going to happen if there's a bird around?

I'm not the OP, but a TRUE, diagnosable phobia doesn't work that way. It isn't rational--it's not that phobia sufferers are afraid of something specific happening to them. If that were the case, it would be easy enough to just put mind over matter and get on with it. That's the difference between being afraid of something and having a phobia--a phobia is completely irrational. Therapy is the best, and really only, way to manage a phobia. And it would probably help the OP immensely, not only on this vacation but in daily life.

I feel your pain, OP. I have an irrational fear of squirrels. I am truly terrified of them and few people understand his serious my fear is. Good luck!

You CAN seek therapy for this. Please don't assume that real therapy is like what you see on Oprah, or any other TV show. Talk to your regular doctor, they can help you find a reputable therapist who specializes in phobias, who CAN help you.

Even if you just get to the point where you can comfortably go to Animal Kingdom with your child...wouldn't that be worth giving it a try? Why continue to suffer with this crippling fear when there's help out there for you?

There's no such therapy in my country. They probably don't recognize this phobia as real. I have never met another adult with same phobia as mine. I'd done a google search and results would bring me to other countries for said therapy. And even if by some miracle it becomes available here, i wouldn't want to be its first subject.

But no worries, i'll just definitely avoid attractions with close proximity to birds.

To dissers who understand my plight, thanks for the tips.

To those who don't, no offense taken. I too don't understand others fear of sun, air, water, etc. I'd done a google search on other phobias as well, and quite amaze at the results of how those fears are actually identified.

Her phobia isn't irrational. The fear had to have stemmed from somewhere. Exposure therapy is designed to expose to you your fear in small doses. As others have stated, it can be effective if you want the help (I'm sure you do). Don't let the phobia beat you, you're stronger than it!

There's no such therapy in my country. They probably don't recognize this phobia as real. I have never met another adult with same phobia as mine. I'd done a google search and results would bring me to other countries for said therapy.

Why not call some therapists and ask them questions? I doubt a therapist would really put all the things they can help with on their websites. If they are busy in their practices they aren't writing articles.

Assuming you have counselors and therapists in your country, I would get on the phone to them and start asking.

Ok, I just have to chime in that watching OPRAH is in NO WAY akin to seeking therapy from an accredited individual! That was purely for TV and shock value. A professional would never put their patient into a situation like that.

Absolutely. And definitely not as the first thing they do. Don't even let yourself think about that sort of thing.

But no worries, i'll just definitely avoid attractions with close proximity to birds.

We are nature lovers so we see all kinds of birds at Disney World. All kinds at all four parks. We've seen storks and ibises on top of buildings at Magic Kingdom, of course, lots of wildlife at Animal Kingdom, tons of ducks, seagulls, osprey and even a bald eagle at Epcot. Not so much at the Studios so that would be a safe bet for you. And this is all the natural stuff at Disney World, not animals brought there for education.

The truth of the matter is, you aren't going to have any bird free days at Disney World. Just not going to happen.

I do have to side with people who say no fear is irrational. Maybe to most of us, fear of birds (or FOB as it's called at Flights of Wonder) is not understandable but it's not irrational. But OP, I would advise figuring out some kind of help for this since birds are everywhere and it doesn't appear they will be disappearing from this earth any time soon. People with a snake phobia usually don't see snakes everyday. Or people with a fear of heights usually aren't perched on a roof everyday. But birds are out there every single day around the world.

I have a fear of not being able to see - or being completely pitch black space where I can not see what is around me. Because of this I need a small nightlight or other producer of light to help me see shadows and help orient me when I wake up at night.

This little story is kinda funny now, but was totally embarrasing when it happened.

My hubby prefers to sleep in a pitch black room. He has dealt with me and my issue for awhile, and on our honeymoon's last night (in WDW), he asked (Begged!) me if I could try to NOT use a nightlight. I was pretty exhausted, and said I'd try it if I could fall asleep before him and then he came to bed afterwards and turn off all the lights.. I should be fine if I wake up in the daylight. I have very slow to adjust night vision. (I'm okay in dark rides because there is always a bit of light to make shadows and such.)

Well I was having some sort of vivid dream and woke up in the middle of the night about 2 am..pitch black room, and because I was tossing and turning the blankets were wrapped around me pretty tight...I started to panic.. thinking something was on top of me and I could not free myself and could not see! I freaked out and woke up my hubby who tried to free my hands/arms ....so of course in my panic...i thoughthe was some sort of stranger holding me down...and started to slap and attack him after he freed my arms!!

rofl..poor guy. He turned on a light and I was relieved to find out my hubby was trying to help me....but he was bruised....so we joke that it was spousal abuse.

Fears can feel real. Mine have lessened a bit in the last 10 years because I know what caused mine and I've dealt with my demons..but seek help...because our fears make us do some really dumb things, you might wind up in a panic attack and hurt someone you care about...I never thought my silly fear could have caused me to nearly punch my very loving hubby on our honeymoon!

There are lots of duck at yak and yeti carry out. People feed them so they hang out there. It is close to EE.

Please don't be offended. Sounds like you are letting this control your life. There are birds everywhere I personally would see a therapist. You and your son will be missin gout on some great attractions. Maybe with time you can learn to deal with it.

Good luck.

I do have to side with people who say no fear is irrational.

Okay, I'm really not trying to nit-pick here, but this has now been tossed around a couple of times. The definition of a phobia is an overwhelming and irrational fear of an object or situation that poses little real danger. The definition of irrational is "not governed by or according to reason."

The word "irrational" is not imbued with judgment. A crippling fear of birds is irrational because birds in a tree at a park do not pose any actual danger. Rationally, we know this. That doesn't mean the sufferer is wrong for having the fear, quite the contrary, but a phobia is, by definition, irrational. A professional can help a phobia sufferer manage the fear and live a normal life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter