Checking into SSR next Tuesday--question?

tkillini99

Mouseketeer
My daughter and I are checking into a studio at SSR next Tuesday. I'm guessing that Tuesday probably isn't a huge check-in day. Does that work to my advantage or not? I'm wondering if I'll have a better than average chance of getting my request (Grandstand section) or a not-so-good chance? Anyone with experience checking in mid-week?

With Friday undoubtedly being the biggest checkOUT day, I think your best chances for getting a request are when arriving on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Open inventory levels are probably greatest on those days.

With a Monday checkin, I think you're largely subject to the trickle-down from Sunday's arrivals, plus whatever rooms are vacated that morning. In other words, if The Grandstand is pretty much filled-up wtih guests who request it on Sunday, most of the Monday vacancies would come from people departing that day.

I doubt anyone has enough experience to really help you predict what will happen. The Grandstand is so new that I don't think a lot of guests are requesting it at this point. I think the most important factor is merely to check-in as early as possible. Even at times when it may seem more sensible to head straight to the theme parks, take that extra half-hour and check-in first.

Another vote for checking in as early as possible. Even with that, there is never any guarantee, but hopefully you will eliminate some of your competition (those checking in after you). So much depends on the room type, the number of nights in your stay and how that fits in with the number of nights other guests stay in studios, and so forth. (For example, you may be staying for 5 nights, but your request is only available for 4 of those nights.) The Grandstand area is becoming more popular due to it being the first bus stop and it's not too far of a walk to the main pool and restaurants. Good Luck!

We're checking in on Sunday, can't wait! Didn't request in advance, thought that we'd ask when we got in Sunday around noon.

I would just go check-in early & let them know of your request.

We checked in around 11am on a Saturday in May & reminded them we wanted the Springs section.
We couldn't actually get our room at that time, so we spent the next few hours swimming at the main pool.
Our room was ready around 3pm. We did get the Springs section!!

OH MY GOSH...we just returned on 6/26 from SSR....I will never EVER check in or out on Sunday there. I kid you not...I had to walk up to the concierge desk to get an ADR and there must have been 200+ people checking in at about 3pm that Sunday!!!! It was a madhouse!! I asked the CM helping me if Sunday was always like that and they said yes...avoid Sunday and Friday altogether....

note to self; never ever check into a DVC resort on Sunday or Friday...:sad2:

Esmerelda

I checked into SSR Sunday before Thanksgiving about 1pm and was done in about 15 minutes. Had alot of "newbies" or "renters" taking up alot of the CM's about why they weren't getting clean towels everyday or DDP credit disputes.

My party was the only one going to SSR on our DME bus.

OH MY GOSH...we just returned on 6/26 from SSR....I will never EVER check in or out on Sunday there. I kid you not...I had to walk up to the concierge desk to get an ADR and there must have been 200+ people checking in at about 3pm that Sunday!!!! It was a madhouse!! I asked the CM helping me if Sunday was always like that and they said yes...avoid Sunday and Friday altogether....

Esmerelda

I think the CM may have been exaggerating a bit. If I had to guess, I'd say you probably arrived right after a DME bus (or two.) Those busses often deliver dozens of guests at a time.

About 6 weeks ago we checked into SSR on a Sunday. It was sometime between 12-1pm. Every post at the front desk was staffed (I think I counted 11) and I was able to walk right up to begin my check-in. Most of our check-ins have been on Sundays and I don't recall waiting in line more than 10 minutes at any DVC resort.

I'm sure there are times when the front desk is very busy on Sundays, but there are plenty of slow periods too.

Esmerelda

Checked in on Sunday 6/2 at around 5pm and had about 6 families ahead of us. A CM was walking among us, greeting everyone and assurring us the line would go quickly. We were done in about 20 minutes. I agree that a bus must have just unloaded prior to your arrival.

Esmerelda

We spent 5 days at SSR adn checked in on 6/17 (Sunday) 11:00AM. Only about six people in line before me. Looks like a lot of people schedule around the 4:00PM timeframe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter