Checking ID for Age on Alaska Excursions?

NGatorsT

Earning My Ears
My family (14 individuals) is going on the Disney Cruise to Alaska. We would like to do the Crab Fishing Excursion in Ketichikan (not booked directly via Disney). The age restriction is 5 and older. Everyone is 5 and older except for one child who will be three weeks short of being 5 (he will be 4 years, 11 months, 1 week old). It says the age restriction is due to coast guard regulations. Personally, I'm not concerned about my child's attention span or ability to be on the crab boat (this isn't kayaking or zip lining where I can understand age limits). He's also 40 pounds so would meet weight limits. I'm certain no one would be able to identify my son as being 4 years, 11 months, 1 week old vs. 5 years old and 1 day.

Does anyone know if these excursion companies actually check ID for age? I don't want to pay for an excursion that we then can't do. Thanks.

Last edited:
If you're booking the excursion through Disney as PP mentioned they will not allow you to book the under 5 on the excursion.

If you're booking on your own I doubt they will be checking ID but I always look at these threads and think, what are you teaching your kids? Follow the rules unless they don't work in your favor, in which case it's ok to lie? Good luck when they're teenagers and you've taught them lying is ok when it serves them.

DCL will never budge on age restrictions for shore excursions, for liability reasons, even for one day. The system will not let you book it for that guest and they will not do it over the phone either or onboard.

If you go the book-on-your-own route, the company offering the service might have different age restrictions. We can't predict if that particular company will enforce such a restriction or not.

BTW, age and height restrictions are there for a reason.

If you're booking the excursion through Disney as PP mentioned they will not allow you to book the under 5 on the excursion.

If you're booking on your own I doubt they will be checking ID but I always look at these threads and think, what are you teaching your kids? Follow the rules unless they don't work in your favor, in which case it's ok to lie? Good luck when they're teenagers and you've taught them lying is ok when it serves them.
Thanks for the input.

Also appreciate the parenting advice.

How will you handle the situation if upon boarding the crab boat one of the crew members asks your child how old they are?

Excellent point. Because at Disney for some things with age restrictions, I've seen kids be asked, the parent tries to answer, and the CM politely says they need the child to answer and the child almost invariably tells the truth. (I've also seen it at DCL check-in where the CM was asking about nausea/vomiting beforehand (they will (or would) often go over the sheet just to make sure) and the mom said "No. No one." and a kid who looked to be 3 or 4 said "No mama. I puked this morning.")

Excellent point. Because at Disney for some things with age restrictions, I've seen kids be asked, the parent tries to answer, and the CM politely says they need the child to answer and the child almost invariably tells the truth. (I've also seen it at DCL check-in where the CM was asking about nausea/vomiting beforehand (they will (or would) often go over the sheet just to make sure) and the mom said "No. No one." and a kid who looked to be 3 or 4 said "No mama. I puked this morning.")
So my kid did the puked thing with her kindergarten teacher. Said she puked that morning and it was a total lie, she'd puked but it was like 3 days before. I think they can ask age but asking about sickness is iffy, little kids don't have a good concept of time.

I would call the tour company directly. Since it's a boat, it likely has to do with Life Preservers and the Coast Guard requirements. The tour company will know whether the regulations are age based or weight based.

That would be a question for the vendor you are booking through. I'd imagine it's a liability issue with insurance.
100% agree with this. God forbid something were to happen on the excursion and it's discovered he was actually under 5. Not at all likely to happen, but there are reasons age limits are set. Not really fair to put the excursion company at risk or yourselves, especially if it is set by the Coast Guard.

Thanks for the input.

Also appreciate the parenting advice.
I apologize for the snark, you didn't imply you'd lie and I meant the general you vs you specifically but it definitely came across as judgmental. There are many threads on these boards looking to get around restrictions and I got crabby. If booking separately call the tour company and see what they say. I'd hate to book it and then be denied boarding for the almost 5yo.

These days, a 5 y old age requirement may be more to do with vaccination status than age, since the vendors know that cruise lines are requiring vaccines for 5 and up. I noticed at least one DCL excursion in Nassau that pre-Covid used to be all ages and post-restart was listed as age 5 and up and I suspect that is the reason.

Thanks all. I was able to find a solution that allows our family to have the experience without lying (or paying money and then not being able to do the experience).
I was uncomfortable reading this thread until your very last post. Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter