Checking a trunk

julierocks

Mouseketeer
We are camping at FW and are flying in. We can fit all our equipment in a trunk, and the trunk is the appropriate size that the airline allows. My question is how to keep it closed. It's basically a foot locker, so the "clips" that keep it closed aren't the best. Will the airline allow us to zip tie it, or is that the same as locking it? I know you can't lock your luggage. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The airline will allow you to lock your luggage; it's the TSA that may want to (and will) get into it - so don't use irreplaceable locks. Zip ties are fine. Double-check the size, and don't forget the weight of the footlocker itself.

For a footlocker, you also may want to consider one of the wide straps that wraps around the trunk and latches with some kind of buckle. Some even have TSA-approved locks as part of the strap mechanisme. One of those run around the trunk and through the jandle should keep the trunk tightly closed and they can be easily unhooked and reattached by the TSA for inspection, if necessary.

Have you WEIGHED it?

It's very easy to go over the weight limit with something that big!

Are you estimating, or have you weighed it? And either way, weigh it again after it's packed. And measure it a couple more times, too. If a piece of checked luggage is overweight and oversize, the passenger will be assessed both feed.

Is the "trunk" designed to be checked on aircraft? Will it survive if it's thrown 12 feet and lands of a corner? Will it survive if dozens of other bags are dropped on top of it? Will it survive if it's smashed around and banged around?

I have checked plastic footlockers before when flying and tent camping and here is what I did.

I purchased two buckle straps from the camping section of Wal-Mart.

I then drilled holes in the front of the footlocker and the back of the footlocker. I cut the buckle straps in half and using a nut/bolt and big flat washers, secured the straps to the footlocker. Then I strapped the footlocker shut with the straps. I also put a zip tie in the spot where it can be "locked".

Unfortunately, I have no good pictures.

Here is about the best example that I have. See the blue bin with the fan on top of it. You can see the straps going over the top of the bin.

I did the same thing with that bin. That particular bin is not airline legal, but I've been doing it for years to make sure the lids stay on.

The black bin that the laptop is sitting on is airline legal and has the straps on it also. It has survived several plane flights full of camping gear.

100_3826.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter