• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Check TSA Pre-check/Global Entry Expiration

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
These are expiring for many of the early adopters. They are good for 5 years and expire on your birthday. If you renew Global Entry before it expires, they give you 18 months grace period after the expiration if you haven’t received the renewal yet. Times are varying for GE. The site says it can take up to 6 months, and you may need to redo the interview. You can renew up to a year in advance without your expiration date changing. The card lists the expiration date. We just discovered why my husband hadn’t gotten pre-check on his last flight.

Just checked our TSA precheck for the 3 of us. We all got it the same day and all 3 expire together at the 5 yr mark.
Maybe Global Entry does it different?

Funny you posted this....just the other day I checked my Global Entry and it expires next May but said I could renew anytime after this May. The process may require a new in person interview. We fly back from an international trip next May so will definitely renew before it expires.

MJ

I recently discovered that my GE was expiring the August. We have a Rhine river cruise with ABD for the end of September. When i started the online renewal process it looked like the earliest interviews weren't until November. Completed the application and got notified that my renewal was approved, and I received the replacement card fairly quickly.

I renewed my GE online maybe 8 months before it expired. I did receive the note saying I would automatically have an extension because I renewed and that I needed to check back online to view the status. I kept checking every month, because I figured there would be a delay in getting in-person appointments. My original expiration date came & went with no change in status, besides "in process." Then a month or so later I checked and was amazed that the status now showed fully approved - skipped right past the "set up interview appointment" step. No I never had to do an interview. I would say it was probably a month after that before my new GE Card arrived in the mail.

Most people seem to get renewed without needing an interview. Not sure if there is random selection or just interviews if there is something "odd".

I have NEXUS (which includes access to GE) and I had to have an interview (I did at Pearson airport in Toronto and you get both a NEXUS person and a GE person at the same time). In my case, I wasn't surprised that I needed an interview as I had moved twice (from Canada to the US to Europe) in the five years and listed probably about 20 countries in my list of countries visited since having my card. In the end, only the GE person had any questions There were a couple of countries in my list that triggered questions - basically when and why . But no problem with renewal. Others in my extended family renewed around the same time with new need of interviews.

Both my husband and I have June birthdays and our GE expires in 2022. We re-newed earlier this week fearing they might be backed up in processing and just wanted to take care of this before we forgot. Less than 24 hours later we received the notice that our renewals have been approved. Now just to plan a trip 😊

Our precheck expired during the pandemic and we opted for global entry this time. We should have just gotten it last time. It's not much more money but we always looked longingly at those folks on our way back into the country. If you're not sure which to get, just spring for the extra for GE.

My husband decided to try Clear, since he had a flight yesterday. They supposedly give a pro-rated credit if you cancel. It wasn’t that great. He still had to go through the regular security line for shoes and bag stuff/laptop, since he didn’t have pre-check. They did let him cut most of the line but had to wait for some people. So, it’s definitely not as good as pre-check, unless the pre-check line is very long,

Most people seem to get renewed without needing an interview. Not sure if there is random selection or just interviews if there is something "odd".

I have NEXUS (which includes access to GE) and I had to have an interview (I did at Pearson airport in Toronto and you get both a NEXUS person and a GE person at the same time). In my case, I wasn't surprised that I needed an interview as I had moved twice (from Canada to the US to Europe) in the five years and listed probably about 20 countries in my list of countries visited since having my card. In the end, only the GE person had any questions There were a couple of countries in my list that triggered questions - basically when and why . But no problem with renewal. Others in my extended family renewed around the same time with new need of interviews.
Were Chile or N Korea any of the countries? Just asking since my husband and/or I have visited those since we first got GE.

EDIT: Meant S Korea.

Last edited:
It's definitely done by birthday. DH checked his and thought we all had until Fall to renew so didn't worry about it. Then this summer we went to renew them all and found out that DD's had already expired (first birthday of the year). Ours were done very quickly, but hers required more forms and a much longer wait time. It was eventually renewed without her needing to have another interview at least, but it's definitely something to pay attention to.

We have Clear, too. It lets you cut the ID line (without needing to show ID) but that still puts you at the back of the line for security (or pre-check if you have Global). It can make a big difference in a very crowded airport, or little to no difference if the lines aren't long in the first place, so it's really hit-or-miss.

My husband decided to try Clear, since he had a flight yesterday. They supposedly give a pro-rated credit if you cancel. It wasn’t that great. He still had to go through the regular security line for shoes and bag stuff/laptop, since he didn’t have pre-check. They did let him cut most of the line but had to wait for some people. So, it’s definitely not as good as pre-check, unless the pre-check line is very long,

Were Chile or N Korea any of the countries? Just asking since my husband and/or I have visited those since we first got GE.

It was a couple of years ago (December 2018) so I don’t totally remember. I’m pretty sure it was Indonesia, Malaysia, and Kenya (Kenya surprised me). I had Chile on my list and that didn’t flag anything. I hadn’t been to Republic of Korea (S. Korea), but I don’t imagine that that would cause a flag.

I travel a ton and CBP made me come in for an interview when I did my second Global Entry renewal in 2019. When I went in, the agent specifically wanted to know about my visits to China, Myanmar, Thailand, and Sri Lanka. He didn't seem to care about Korea or Chile at all. Even so, it was a super quick in and out visit so it's really not a big deal as long as you live relatively close to an airport that does interviews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter