Check luggage or mail to hotel?

Emm

Lost my ears. Trying to get them back.
I'm debating whether to pay for checked luggage or to ship a box to myself at the hotel. Any comments on the pros and cons? I've never shipped a box to a hotel before.

The first leg of my trip will be a flight to Miami, where my traveling companion and I will be for three nights before driving (small rental car) to WDW. (4 nights at the Dolphin.) After WDW we will fly home via Southwest, but the airline that's taking us to Miami (American) will charge $25 per checked piece of luggage.

So I am thinking that for $25 or less I could ship a box to the Miami hotel and not have to hassle with checked (and possible lost) luggage at the airport. Then on the way back I would just have luggage for Southwest. (I would be including a large duffle-bag in the box, for the return luggage.)

Does this seem like a good idea? What is the most economical and safe way to ship things to hotels? (Note that I would be shipping to a "business class" hotel in Miami not a WDW resort.) Any tips as to size of box, weight, carrier (UPS or USP?) etc?

Thanks.

Have you priced out the actual shipping? I have not done this but have read posts here on the boards where people have and discovered that the shipping would cost more than just paying to check the luggage.

Have you priced out the actual shipping? I have not done this but have read posts here on the boards where people have and discovered that the shipping would cost more than just paying to check the luggage.

I have to be careful about weight, but I did a "rehearsal" with a 12 by 12 box and the main stuff I'd be shipping (shoes, a couple of changes of clothing, suntan lotion, mister fan, duffle bag etc) and if I were to send it parcel post or UPS ground it would cost no more than $25 which is what i would pay for checked luggage.

I wouldn't be doing it to save money (though I definitely don't want to pay a lot more) but to save "hassle." Checking luggage means standing in line, and my flight leaves at an ungodly early hour, so I don't want to add even a minute to the time I must be at the airport. Also, checking luggage means waiting anxiously at a carousel in one of the busiest airports in the country(Miami) and maybe having my bag delayed.

So to me, the shipping is the "less hassle" option-- IF it is reasonably secure. (I have never shipped a box to myself at a hotel before.) I can take care of it five or six days before my trip and just have the package waiting for me at the hotel instead of having to juggle it and my carry on to the rental car office (there's a little bus that picks up) and so forth.

In short, I am asking if anyone who has done this in the past has found that it worked out well and if so do you have any tips to make it go smoothly.

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter