Check-in: On-line vs on arrival

Sir William

RETIRED!
We're staying at the SSR, our home resort, however its the first time we've stayed at any DVC resort.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to doing the check-in online or at the time of arrival at the resort?

I'm thinking we want to stay at CP. DW wants some quiet pool-side time and we want easy access to DTD. Our young adults will probably spend most of their time at the parks, but they aren't adverse to walking to the bus stops.

I can only speak from my own experience, and I don't know if it's typical. My experiences with it are from Dec '10, Sept '11, and one night Feb '12.

When I've done online checkin, I've gotten really good rooms. When I haven't, I got the leftover room. The time that I didn't do it also coincided with getting to the resort at around 6pm, so that might have been a factor.

Our only requests have been "First floor", for my aunt's knee problems, while staying at OKW with her and we've gotten that.

And while we have not asked to have our room changed when we've done online checkin, the CM insisted that he change our room, because the one slated for us wasn't ready yet, but another one was (he had pulled the portfolio of a man with the first name that is the same as my last, so he had already looked into that man's room info and he knew it was available). Over my objections (light ones...I wasn't screaming "no, don't change us!" LOL) and after he'd insisted that there were plenty of rooms for that man, he changed our room and the only extra time it took was while I was saying that I didn't need to change and that we were patient.

So...it can be done. (also, FWIW, I was in the "online checkin" line, and a totally different CM called me over, so I wasn't actually at the online checkin area while the CM was doing this)

I'll keep doing online checkin until I have an incredibly specific request to make. Which isn't likely, given our personalities. (other than we don't like HA rooms and don't want them until we *need* them)

We've done both and really haven't noticed a significant difference. Our most challenging experience was when we used the online option. However that was when it was first available. Perhaps the bugs have been worked out by now.

We don't notice a difference with the request success. The line to check in may be longer or shorter.

:earsboy: Bill

I don't think it matters much. I believe the particular room assignment is made when you arrive, not when you "check-in". But you could call the front desk to ask for sure. I think by using on-line check-in all your materials are put together in advance: key cards, maps, etc. You may have a shorter line if the non-checked-in lines are busy, you can go to the special express line. When I was at AKV, there was a longer line at the special on-line check-in desk, so a cast member at one of the regular windows helped me. I don't think there is a lot of benefit, just might be able to save a little time when you arrive.

I will tell you what a CM at VB told us. If it's your first time at a resort and you have questions about the resort, check in there. With on line checkin they are supposed to just hand you your package and send you on your way. We've been pretty lucky and we always checkin there.

Thanks all for your very helpful information and opinions.

I failed to mention that we will be arriving early morning after disembarking from the Magic. I don't expect to get a room on check-in and that is OK as we'll be going over to the parks.

On line check in is the way to go. It is quicker then standing in line to check in. This past Feb I went to check us in while DH used the restroom. I was done by the time he got out of the bathroom!. Room was ready at 11:00!!!

On line check in is the way to go. It is quicker then standing in line to check in. This past Feb I went to check us in while DH used the restroom. I was done by the time he got out of the bathroom!. Room was ready at 11:00!!!

This isn't always true, sometimes the line for online check in is longer than the lines for regular check in.

Disney hopes that those who checked in online will just take their keys and go. Reducing the number of guests who request a room change saves Disney time and money.

:earsboy: Bill

we still like to check in the old fashioned way.

while we put in room requests, sometimes the room assigned is not so great, so we ask. almost always, there is a better room, but just not ready yet. since it is just hubby and I, we opt to wait longer for the room that better fits our choices.

I've done online check-in for the last 6 trips. Always easy-breezy. :thumbsup2 The last trip(Oct. 2011) at BWV, I didn't even go up to the desk. A CM asked my name as I entered the lobby, told me to make myself comfortable and minutes later walked up with my packet and we were on our way. AWESOME. :goodvibes It's not always THAT good. ;)

We had the same experience at BWV in December with online check-in. We were greeted as we stepped off the DME bus. The CM walked with us into the lobby, handed us the welcome packet and asked us to make ourselves comfortable while she went to get the KTTW cards. When she came back she even took a picture of the family in front of the Christmas display.

I understand they don't do this every time, but it really made the check-in experience magical!

Once again, thanks for all the responses. I realize that there are variables that impact on the speed and efficiency of checking in, but based on what I've seen here I'll give the on-line check-in a try.

We had the same experience at BWV in December with online check-in. We were greeted as we stepped off the DME bus. The CM walked with us into the lobby, handed us the welcome packet and asked us to make ourselves comfortable while she went to get the KTTW cards. When she came back she even took a picture of the family in front of the Christmas display.

I understand they don't do this every time, but it really made the check-in experience magical!

Jeff, this is exactly our experience. It was so awesome, I could hardly believe it! :goodvibes

I don't think it matters much. I believe the particular room assignment is made when you arrive, not when you "check-in". But you could call the front desk to ask for sure. I think by using on-line check-in all your materials are put together in advance: key cards, maps, etc. You may have a shorter line if the non-checked-in lines are busy, you can go to the special express line. When I was at AKV, there was a longer line at the special on-line check-in desk, so a cast member at one of the regular windows helped me. I don't think there is a lot of benefit, just might be able to save a little time when you arrive.

I just wanted to make sure people knew the bolded part isn't true. When you call the phone number for the resort you're actually getting a call center that will pretend to be the front desk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter