Cheap stay..Kings Inn, Clarion, Motel 6 or other??

aebeauregard

Mouseketeer
Taking a quick weekend trip to Disneyland with my husband for the first time. We are very comfortable with WDW but this would be our first trip to Disneyland. We just want to be somewhere within walking distance that is cheap and clean. We are leaving the kids at home so I'm not too concerned with anything but having a place to sleep at night and not finding bugs in my room. We really don't want spend much on our room because we plan to be in the parks almost all day.

Any opinions about those mentioned above or one I haven't discovered yet?

I've stayed at the Super8 on Katella, which is within walking distance and a very good price. I had the same kind of trip- just needed a place to sleep and shower. I found it to be perfectly acceptable. Clean and bug-free and even comes with a very basic continental breakfast.

I believe the Super 8 on Katella mentioned above is now Kings Inn. My sister stayed there in May and loved it.

What dates are you looking at? I've been able to get a really good rate at Hotel Indigo in the past. Desert Palms, Desert Inn & Suites, or Candy Cane Inn may good ones to look into as well.

Like @ParkHopper1 I've also heard bad things about the Clarion. However, Kings Inn and Motel 6 have gotten some pretty good reviews around here for a budget stay.

No matter which one you pick you have to go in thinking location, location, location, and that they are all old California motels. Don't set your hopes up too high, and you'll be pleasantly surprised with these budget motels. There are good reviews on youtube on some of these motels, that allow you to see the bigger picture.

Dates would be Jan 24th-Jan 27th. Hoping to get the three nights for as close to $300 as possible.

Also is it best to book direct with the hotels and buy tickets separate? I’m tempted to book something so we have a room somewhere and then keep an eye out for a better deal and change if something pops up. Does that seem like the smartest way to handle the Disneyland hotel situation?

Motel 6 is quite cheap right now but about every other review I read on Yelp was either decent and clean for the price or complained about roaches. Makes me a little nervous. I don’t expect anything great I just don’t want it to be dirty.

Dates would be Jan 24th-Jan 27th. Hoping to get the three nights for as close to $300 as possible.

Also is it best to book direct with the hotels and buy tickets separate? I’m tempted to book something so we have a room somewhere and then keep an eye out for a better deal and change if something pops up. Does that seem like the smartest way to handle the Disneyland hotel situation?

Motel 6 is quite cheap right now but about every other review I read on Yelp was either decent and clean for the price or complained about roaches. Makes me a little nervous. I don’t expect anything great I just don’t want it to be dirty.
Yes, it is best to have hotels and tickets separately. As you said, it'll give you more flexibility when browsing for a good deal.

I understand your concerns about cleanliness. I have heard positive things though. There is a poster on here, @BadPinkTink that regularly stays at Motel 6 when she does her annual visit to DLR. Maybe she can chime in with some of her more recent experience.

From the sticky threads at the top of the first page, some threads with good information for you:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/

Less than $300/night should definitely be doable. I'd skip the Clarion (friends stayed once and said never again). The suggestions for the Motel 6, Hotel Indigo, Candy Cane Inn (we stay here in the Premium Rooms -- well under $300/nt. -- breakfast delivered to the room! -- always clean, private shuttle, great customer service, return customer discount if you decide to return with the kids), Kings Inn, DI&S are good. Also look at the Majestic Garden (private shuttle and walking distance to the M&F tram), the Hilton (often has specials), and any hotels near the TS lot (use Google maps to see which hotels are walking distance to that lot). You can walk to TS and use the free shuttles to/from the parks. If you are open to using Uber/Lyft, look in Garden Grove for lower hotel rates -- some hotels are only one mile south of the parks on Harbor, like the Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, Hyatt OC, etc.
Check the websites of each hotel and if you find a great rate with a no penalty cancellation policy, book it. Then call the hotel directly to see if the front desk (not the 800 number) can beat that rate.
Book your tickets separately -- there are authorized discount vendors that are used by many on this board. Check Mousesavers.com for offers that cover your dates -- all vendors listed there are legit. People here use: AAA, Costco (for packages), aRes, Getawaytoday, UT, and LMT (this site is undergoing some work right now).

Last edited:
Waves hi, I have stayed multiple times in Motel 6 Maingate on Disney Way. My most recent visit was in of June 2019.

I would book there again with out any hesitation. However for my 2020 trip to Disneyland, I have booked Kings Inn Anaheim, same price point and type of motel. In 2020 Motel 6 Maingate is closing for refurb. The last time I checked, a few weeks ago, there was no availability from January to July 2020.

As I visit every year the last week in June, first week in July, I booked Kings Inn as a backup and to lock in a good rate, just in case Motel 6 is still closed.

I stayed at King's Inn on Patella many moons ago (like 7 years ago, as a Super 8). The walk wasn't ideal, BUT I managed it easily. I was just fussy at myself each evening on the walk back.

At that point, it was clean, comfortable. Felt safe. Was in the middle of a renovation. I heard they renovate again just recently.

If you are on the very back of the property, you may be able to see the fireworks.

Waves hi, I have stayed multiple times in Motel 6 Maingate on Disney Way. My most recent visit was in of June 2019.

I would book there again with out any hesitation. However for my 2020 trip to Disneyland, I have booked Kings Inn Anaheim, same price point and type of motel. In 2020 Motel 6 Maingate is closing for refurb. The last time I checked, a few weeks ago, there was no availability from January to July 2020.

As I visit every year the last week in June, first week in July, I booked Kings Inn as a backup and to lock in a good rate, just in case Motel 6 is still closed.
Any bug issues on your stays? It seems hit and miss to people on yelp?

From the sticky threads at the top of the first page, some threads with good information for you:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/

Less than $300/night should definitely be doable. I'd skip the Clarion (friends stayed once and said never again). The suggestions for the Motel 6, Hotel Indigo, Candy Cane Inn (we stay here in the Premium Rooms -- well under $300/nt. -- breakfast delivered to the room! -- always clean, private shuttle, great customer service, return customer discount if you decide to return with the kids), Kings Inn, DI&S are good. Also look at the Majestic Garden (private shuttle and walking distance to the M&F tram), the Hilton (often has specials), and any hotels near the TS lot (use Google maps to see which hotels are walking distance to that lot). You can walk to TS and use the free shuttles to/from the parks. If you are open to using Uber/Lyft, look in Garden Grove for lower hotel rates -- some hotels are only one mile south of the parks on Harbor, like the Embassy Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, Hyatt OC, etc.
Check the websites of each hotel and if you find a great rate with a no penalty cancellation policy, book it. Then call the hotel directly to see if the front desk (not the 800 number) can beat that rate.
Book your tickets separately -- there are authorized discount vendors that are used by many on this board. Check Mousesavers.com for offers that cover your dates -- all vendors listed there are legit. People here use: AAA, Costco (for packages), aRes, Getawaytoday, UT, and LMT (this site is undergoing some work right now).

Is the Toy Story lot owned/operated by Disney? How late do the shuttles run and has anyone been hassled before about showing a parking stub or something? This opens a lot more options for mainstream brand hotels like Hilton, Marriott, and Sheraton. I would assume the Hilton and Marriott hotels near the convention center would be pretty nice (figure they do a lot of business stays), could earn points for people that stay at those chains a lot (or use points to book), and seem to be within walking distance of the parking lot. For a random weekend at the end of Feb (Feb 28th check in and Sun Mar 1st check out) I'm seeing $120-$130/night rates at those and sub $100 rates at the Red Lion! (before tax) $320.56 after tax for a Fri-Sun stay at a Hilton with really easy transport to Disney!? That's awesome and now I might need to head back for Rise of the Resistance....

I fly out for Disneyland on the 19th and I'm already thinking about how to get back there on the cheap in a couple more months.

Is the Toy Story lot owned/operated by Disney? How late do the shuttles run and has anyone been hassled before about showing a parking stub or something? This opens a lot more options for mainstream brand hotels like Hilton, Marriott, and Sheraton. I would assume the Hilton and Marriott hotels near the convention center would be pretty nice (figure they do a lot of business stays), could earn points for people that stay at those chains a lot (or use points to book), and seem to be within walking distance of the parking lot. For a random weekend at the end of Feb (Feb 28th check in and Sun Mar 1st check out) I'm seeing $120-$130/night rates at those and sub $100 rates at the Red Lion! (before tax) $320.56 after tax for a Fri-Sun stay at a Hilton with really easy transport to Disney!? That's awesome and now I might need to head back for Rise of the Resistance....

I fly out for Disneyland on the 19th and I'm already thinking about how to get back there on the cheap in a couple more months.
TS is a Disney owned lot. No problem for anyone using the free shuttles whether you park there or walk to the lot from a neighboring hotel. When we stay at the Sheraton or the Hilton, we see other guests walking to/from TS all the time. (We prefer to just walk to/from the parks.) And, yes, the loyalty points are a great perk and the free nights and/or upgrades are great!

TS is a Disney owned lot. No problem for anyone using the free shuttles whether you park there or walk to the lot from a neighboring hotel. When we stay at the Sheraton or the Hilton, we see other guests walking to/from TS all the time. (We prefer to just walk to/from the parks.) And, yes, the loyalty points are a great perk and the free nights and/or upgrades are great!

28k points/night for the double tree! I'm sure it's not fantastic, but it can't be horrible either... I think I'm earning almost enough for a Fri-Sun redemption there just in the few nights I'm staying on this trip at the Hilton near Universal Studios (between gold bonus points and a double points promo and bonus points for 2+ stays, lol).

You have opened up so many more options for me!

How's the walk just from the park if you don't take the shuttle? I'm not opposed to walking as long as it feels safe.

We stay at Homewood suites next to Toy Story lot. No problem catching their free shuttle, and I have never felt unsafe walking on Harbor even when I'm solo.

... How's the walk just from the park if you don't take the shuttle? I'm not opposed to walking as long as it feels safe.
We find the walk to be pretty easy, about 15-20 minutes from the Sheraton, depending on the signal at Katella, at a very easy pace. Good warm up for the parks and a good cool down at the end of the day. The walk takes you right past the 24/7 CVS, 7-11, and A Mart Convenience Store, so it is super easy to pick up snacks and drinks for the parks or the hotel room. We've done the walk at all hours (seriously, e.g. 4 am for CHOC Walk, after midnight park closing, before RD, etc. -- and never felt unsafe, even when I've walked alone -- the few homeless people are asleep and/or just leave you alone).

Any bug issues on your stays? It seems hit and miss to people on yelp?

Not had any bug issues, although I dont stay on the ground floor. There are 2 blocks, connected by landings and stairs.

The main building has rooms above the reception lobby area. This is where the elevator is located.
The back block only has stairs.

I usually stay in the main building block, overlooking the pool area.

motel 6.JPG

We like Stovalls on Katella. Good breakfast, $10 parking, clean rooms. 10 minute walk to downtown disney and another 10 to the entrance. If monorail is working, that cuts off a lot of walking. On the way back to the hotel, you can cut through the Grand Californian and it really cuts down on walking time. Room rates are best when booked direct and should be in the $100 range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter