Cheap party food for 40 people?

nilseks

DIS Veteran
Youngest DS bday is coming up in a month and I need to have food for 40ish people. Trying to cut costs. Anyone have any ideas for inexpensive but nice food for that many? In the past I have usually made several huge subs but that is just too expensive. Can't do any sort of mostaccioli or spaghetti/meatballs, family won't like that and will crab about it behind my back. :lmao:

My kids have family parties up until age 5 and believe it or not the 40 people is immediate family only (mine and DH's sibs and their kids). This is our last family party for our kiddos (other DS is 7) so I want it to be nice, but trying to keep costs down! Help, please! :lovestruc

Oh, and I already make my own cake and hardly do any decorating. A few blow-up balloons and a roll of crepe paper pretty much does it. Usually I take whatever my kids are into that year and put it around the house. One year I put his Elmo stuffed animals all over in goofy spots, this year I will prob have his Star Wars guys hanging off the chandelier or something (it's a Star Wars party). :rotfl2:

allrecipes.com has a great recipe for slow cooker italian beef for sandwiches. It makes a lot & is so easy. Maybe the beef sandwiches & meatball subs? You can use the same kind of bread/rolls & a big bag of frozen meatballs at Wal-Mart & some spaghetti sauce (I'd stretch it with a few cans of tomato sauce since you'll let it simmer for awhile). Get some mozzarella cheese to top both sandwiches & some inexpensive sides & you're good to go.
Also, maybe a taco bar. Shredded chicken & ground beef seasoned & lots of fixings. Refried beans & rice on the side. I have a seasoning mix that you add to rice & a can of diced tomatoes that makes a decent, inexpensive Spanish rice. LMK if you'd like the name of it.

Will they go for a sandwhich tray, just ham, turkey and cheeses? Some rolls to make a club roll. Do they like a pork BBQ or Sloppy Joes? Sausage and peppers?

Then buy some salads, potato, mac, or and cheese?
Do they like a pot of hot dogs in a slow cooker? SAMs Club has good finger food in big frozen bags.

make or buy veg tray with a Ranch dip.

Spinch dip in that round bread dug out into bits.

Spread cream cheese on large round serving tray, salsa over top, grated cheese, chop some blk olives, bag of dip tostito's.

Somethings we have done...

How about just having a "cake and ice cream" party. If you can't afford to feed 40 people then don't. Make sure everyone is aware that it is just cake and ice cream so they won't expect a meal.

I have done chili beans for several years but my son's birthday is in the Winter so it go along great. For the kids I will buy huge bags of nuggets from Sam's and pop in the oven. I will then have cake, ice cream, and chips. I still invite everyone in my family so we have a chance to get together.

I find a taco bar to be one of the most economical "real food" meals for a group. Not too difficult either. The taco meat can be cooked and seasoned a couple of days ahead (or even longer and frozen). A quick stop at Sams or costco and you can get shredded cheese and lettuce as well as taco shells and tortillas....chop some tomatoes, heat some refried beans. If you add on some chili con queso they have lots of choices they can make....crispy tacos, soft tacos, nachos, taco salad.

I find a taco bar to be one of the most economical "real food" meals for a group. Not too difficult either. The taco meat can be cooked and seasoned a couple of days ahead (or even longer and frozen). A quick stop at Sams or costco and you can get shredded cheese and lettuce as well as taco shells and tortillas....chop some tomatoes, heat some refried beans. If you add on some chili con queso they have lots of choices they can make....crispy tacos, soft tacos, nachos, taco salad.

Also you could add rice to the taco meat to help "stretch" the meat, mix along with salsa for more flavor, if the kiddos aren't too picky.

most people are happy with just Sloppy Joes... really. If you get ground beef on sale and buns from Aldis... viola! baked beans are cheap... buy a couple big cans and "doctor" them up with onions, peppers, and hot dog slices.. have chips as a side. (maybe you have a couple close friends willing to bring a side?, or an appetizer?) you can make this all up ahead of time and you can enjoy the party , too!

pork loin, believe it or not these is preatty reasonable. like around here under 20 dollars. cook it real slow at low temp and baste with bbq sauce, then serve potaotoes and a veggie

I have found that the easiest and least expensive birthday party food I can find is pizza. When people show up, I have bowls of chips and dip, mixed nuts, M&Ms, cheese and crackers, cucumbers, carrots and dip out on the table. Everyone eats the munchies and then my DH picks up some large pizzas from the local pizza place. Unfortunately we are 30-40 minutes away from the nearest pizza hut, Dominos or Little Ceasars, otherwise we could do it less expenive. We pay about $10/pizza and get 6-7 of them. I know some of the chain places I mentioned have $5 one-topping pizza deals. If there are any of those places in your area, you could call around and see if they have any specials.

Any dish with one of these items as a main ingredient should be cheap and cheerful :banana:

Potatoes
Pasta
Ground Beef
Eggs
Bread
sausage
dark meat chicken(or a great sale)

I did BBQ at our last big gathering.

The BBQ was the only large cost. I served buns, crockpot of baked beans, chips, slaw and that was it. I bought it all at BJs at a good price. It was a hit.

I think I may have had a friend (who is an excellent baker) make a cake and served peanuts as well (something salty) for dessert.

I usually do meatballs in the crock pot and another crock pot with roast beef and everyone seems to enjoy that since my house is always offered up for gatherings :) I've also ordered pizzas in the past and baked fries in the oven.
I have chips & dip as well and some of those trail mix type things, the kids love them.
Have a good time at the party whatever you decide! :)

start making your own pizza shells and freezing them. You can gradually buy the ingredients too as cheese freezes. Good luck. It seems like you are already doing much of what you need to do without totally being lame. :)

I think the taco bar idea is a good one. Tomatoes are practically free this time of year and again, cheese can be frozen as can ground beef-watch for sales now. Hit Sams, Aldis or somewhere similar for shells and chop some green onions. Everyone can make their own. Don't forget the refried beans, I can find cans for a dollar or less pretty often.

I just had a party for 30 - we did Italian Beef (I think it was suggested by a PP)

Take chuck roast (I buy it at Sam's Club) trim the fat, cut it into chunks
add Lipton Onion soup mix
1/2 jar pepperocinis (Italian food section or condiment aisle) full jar is too spicey for our family!

Cook for app 6 hours then take 2 forks and pull apart the meat - shredded beef!

My mom believes 3 people to 1# of beef - so I cooked two crockpots - and had a whole crockpot left over!! (but they werent even in terms of pound of meat!) we ran out of Italian rolls, and used hot dog buns - too mushy to hold the juices...

DS believes in Aldi - he buys hamburger and bratwurst (spicey hot dogs!) all the condiments and buns he does get some great deals! Its a lot of work to cook all that meat on the grill, so he's been cooking it an hour ahead, and then putting it in throwaway pans! The food is cooked when we arrive, so he can sit down and enjoy the company!

What about grilling out some hotdogs? If you have access to several charcoal grills, you could have bags of marshmallows that everyone can toast for dessert, maybe buy store brand graham crakers and a couple boxes of hershey bars for s'mores. Make sure you have plenty of sticks! :cool2:
Potato chips, pasta salad, condiments, checkered table cloths...you have an all-American picnic.
:umbrella:

Taco bar is a huge hit in my family. Also chili, sloppy joes, soup and sandwiches, bbq pork....my son's b-day is in the fall and the family really likes getting in to the "comfort food" mood for his b-day.

ohh I like the Taco Bar idea. I having having my toddlers b-day parties next weekend and have approx 50 people coming. Like you this is immediate family and close friends.

Since all my kids fall in the summer (and I have 3 with bdays 13 days apart) we have done burgers, hotdogs, side dishes, corn, rice and beans, pulled pork in crockpot.

Im cupcake this time. I bought one of those cupcake stands for my oldest dd's party last week and they were a hit. I have an elmo and abby theme for next weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter