Cheap eats for picky kids

Donathius

Mouseketeer
Anyone got good suggestions for inexpensive places to eat in/around the resort area for dinner? We're staying at the BWPPI and would prefer not to have to drive anywhere. DS6 and DD4 are really picky (aren't they all?) and we don't want to break the bank on food.

What will they eat? The kids meals in the parks have PBJ, mac & cheese, pizza, burgers and hot dogs. There is a McD's and Denny's on Harbor on the same block at BWPPI. If there's anything more specific, like brands, bring food into the park for them.

What will they eat? The kids meals in the parks have PBJ, mac & cheese, pizza, burgers and hot dogs. There is a McD's and Denny's on Harbor on the same block at BWPPI. If there's anything more specific, like brands, bring food into the park for them.
Duh...I always forget about that McDonalds...I even stayed at that hotel back when it was the Ramada Maingate when I was 15 or so. I did the breakfast runs for my family when we were there.

Cheap tacos (Del Taco, Taco Bell), french fries, Mac and Cheese, and plain buttered noodles mainly. Other stuff falls into the "snack food" category that we'll get at Walmart before we leave home.

Fries you can get a la carte at places that serve fries, even if it's not listed separately on the menu. Also, you can ask for fries as a side for kids meals at TLT and Village Haus. Mac & cheese is a kids meal option as some CS and TS places, check the menus online before you go to get the current list. You might also want some Easy Mac for the room. You can get plain buttered noodles at Pizza Port and I assume Boardwalk Pizza in DCA too. There are chicken tacos on the kids meals at RDZ and Carthay, but if a kid is used to Taco Bell I'm not sure they'd like them.

Fries you can get a la carte at places that serve fries, even if it's not listed separately on the menu. Also, you can ask for fries as a side for kids meals at TLT and Village Haus. Mac & cheese is a kids meal option as some CS and TS places, check the menus online before you go to get the current list. You might also want some Easy Mac for the room. You can get plain buttered noodles at Pizza Port and I assume Boardwalk Pizza in DCA too. There are chicken tacos on the kids meals at RDZ and Carthay, but if a kid is used to Taco Bell I'm not sure they'd like them.

Thank you very much - this is very useful. We tried RDZ with our son last time (his 5th Bday) and he didn't care for the closest thing we were able to find to what he liked. I was actually considering the Easy Mac since we can just make it in the hotel room.

If you are looking to eat at the park there is a Mexican restaurant in both DL and DCA. They both offer kid taco/burritos. Several of the restaurants offer macaroni and French fries as well as corn dogs and chicken strips if they eat those things. I'm not a huge fan of the kid food options at the park, but they do offer pretty typical kid friendly items. Pizza if of course an option in both parks as well.

There are Denny's and IHops that offer free kids meals with adult entrée purchase near the parks and your hotel. They offer breakfast food of course but also items like macaroni and French fries. And of course there is the McDonald's someone mentioned. If you all like pizza there are several locations that will deliver to your room. We like Manhattan Pizza, it's huge and will provide leftovers, but I do not know for sure if they deliver to the resort area as we drove there.

You can also get grilled cheese a la carte (without the soup) at Jolly Holiday. Though it's not exactly like a typical Wonder bread and Kraft cheese-like sandwich some kids might be used to. There's also a Taco Bell that is attached to a Starbucks in the Shell station on Ball and Harbor, but I probably wouldn't walk there because you have to pass a busy freeway entrance.

When I took my picky(about out to eat options ;) ) nephew a few years ago, we stayed at the Fairfield Marriot and would hit McD's every morning(2days) for a box of 20 piece nuggets. Then I had fruit and snacks he would eat with it. Saved money and he was happy.... not the healthiest but it was something I knew he would eat and he ate very well at home so two days weren't going to hurt him.

MY DS9 is a very picky eater as well, getting better but still a challenge sometimes. When he was younger we would always bring with us a plain bagel, some fruit and pretzels or other snacks with us. He would eat that for lunch and then we would get popcorn or ice cream for treats. We counted on the noodles at Pizza Port in DL and Boardwalk Pizza in DCA. Now he will eat the pizzas there as well. He did not like the mac 'n cheese. Also, you can get plain or buttered penne pasta at Plaza Inn. We had that last time. Oh, and they have those power packs at some places that come with yogurt, a banana, goldfish and a drink. Those are good too. And definitely hit the McD's if it's convenient for you!

If there's one thing I can count on, it's that my kids will eat breakfast foods! So IHOP and Denny's are always a hit.

If there's one thing I can count on, it's that my kids will eat breakfast foods! So IHOP and Denny's are always a hit.
That's true - we never have trouble with breakfast foods. Last time in the park we did a late lunch at the IHOP and I recall it costing more than normal - is that IHOP by BWPPI overpriced or am I imagining things?

It's normal for any chain in a resort area or near a major attraction to have higher prices than you might see elsewhere.

Seconding Pizza Press. That place is fantastic and our general go-to.
That's true - we never have trouble with breakfast foods. Last time in the park we did a late lunch at the IHOP and I recall it costing more than normal - is that IHOP by BWPPI overpriced or am I imagining things?

I think it's actually the most expensive in North America. The Denny's seems to be priced about the same, but the two times I've gone to IHOP near Disney the prices are shocking - and the portions not nearly as generous as Denny's. I mean, let's be honest, neither are exactly fine dining, but I've always had excellent service and food at the Denny's there and have no issues going there. Huge breakfasts that keep the kids going for a while, and the rare time we've gone for dinner, they have a good selection of salads, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter