Character meals and not eating....

cheeringmom

<font color=teal>Out of the mouth of babes<br><fon
I thought I read somewhere that you can pay a $5.00 surcharge if you do not plan to eat at the buffet with your family. Can any one give me some insight? I have a friend w/ a non eating 3 yr old and doesnt want to pay for the meal when she won't eat. Thanks for the help

I've never heard of this. I would think it would be impossible to enforce, though. Everyone could say their kid won't eat and then just give the kid food off of mom or dad's plate.

If the kid won't eat from the buffet, why go to a character meal? There are plenty of places to see characters in the parks without paying for a meal.

Perhaps she has other children who WOULD enjoy the buffet.

Melissa

If all you want to do is see characters there is an ice cream social in Epcot at 3 p every day for somewhere around $7. Read about it on Allears. I don't remember where but wdw-dine should be able to help. (Or maybe someone on here knows.)

Originally posted by msteddom
Perhaps she has other children who WOULD enjoy the buffet.

Melissa
Nope, just the one. She has ressies already but of course would like to save some $ if possible.

Originally posted by CharlesandCamilla
If all you want to do is see characters there is an ice cream social in Epcot at 3 p every day for somewhere around $7. Read about it on Allears. I don't remember where but wdw-dine should be able to help. (Or maybe someone on here knows.)
Thanks, I'm sure she will probably do that too. But I can sympathize 100%. When my dd just turned 3 we went to 3 character meals and she literally did not eat one thing but she did enjoy the characters. My dd could have gotten along with the breakfast in the room but we wanted her to enjoy the characters too. After we returned I read somewhere that there was a surcharge for non eaters but can't find it anywhere. I told her to call wdw-dine to confirm but thought I'd check here first.

You can blow off a priority seating unless it's at Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast. But how picky can the kid be? I'm sure she could find something. And the CM's might even whip something up special for her.

Originally posted by CharlesandCamilla
You can blow off a priority seating unless it's at Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast. But how picky can the kid be? I'm sure she could find something. And the CM's might even whip something up special for her.
someone did mention that they did that at Ohana's. The little one would not eat the buffet so they let her order chicken tenders for $6. I guess I'm on a mission now to find out where I read about the surcharge. Checked All Ears and Mousesavers but couldn't find anything. I'll post after my friend calls wdw dine and finds out the policy.

I remember the year my youngest son was 4. Macaroni and Cheese, chicken nuggets and Grilled Cheese (gorilla cheese to him). We stayed using the Grand Plan where all our meals were paid for and it included the character meals.
He ordered chicken nuggets at Coral Reef. He ate Macaroni and Cheese at Chef Mickeys.
I took him to all the character meals but as I said, it was all included in our plan. but I would do it again in a minute, I have some of the greatest photos of him with the characters. Peggie

A friend called wdw-dine and here is there answer.....

"Hi...I just called the Disney travel agent number and asked about "non-eating" children at a character meal ... The Official Mickey Answer is that "the $5.00 entertainment charge has been eliminated, and it is up to each restaurant whether they charge for the meal or not. They will work with you and try to provide something your child will eat, but it is not guaranteed." A flimsy answer, I think!!"

I knew I read it somewhere. But it was called an "entertainment charge" Too bad they don't do it anymore. Oh well. Thanks for all of your answers and ideas!

I think it depends on what you mean by "non-eating." If you mean the regular, ordinary, garden-variety non-eating three year old, then you still get to pay like all the rest ;)

If you mean "non-eating," medically speaking, as in child on a feeding tube, then I think accomodations would be made. The restaurants at WDW do try work with people, from the things I've heard and read.

By the way, on Deb's site (allears), there are menus for most restaurants. The Liberty Tree Tavern dinner menu said this at the bottom: For those Guests not dining, a $5.00 entertainment fee will be applied to your bill. I don't know if that option is still available, but at least it was in print somewhere...you were not going crazy! ;)

Hope that helps!

So what does the child eat?

WDW is wonderful about accomodating even the pickiest of eaters. I cant imagine that they wouldn't find anything the child would eat...

If she really doesnt want to mess with it, then I'd do the ice cream social. Remember that lots of kids eat very little at the character meals because theyre too excited about the characters - you're paying for the exp =)

I think Amieedyan has a point. At a breakfast buffet there has got to be something that a child would eat. They have everything. Dry ceral, toast, fruit,yogurt, a doughnut, pizza, even cup cakes at some. I think that most kids would want something sitting there with the family for an hour. It would not be very good to then NOT let them eat becasue they are just paying the 5.00 fee. Another suggestion is to change the PS to lunch if they would enjoy those type food more, or make a PS during the changover time and get some of both meals. MY DS went to a few character meal when younger when he only ate a couple bites. It's just a fact of life with a child and resturants. I also agree that they will bend over backward to find her something. When DS was a toddler and very picky, one food he would eat was cottage cheese. Most any sitdown had that and would be glad to get him a scoop. At places other than WDW I have had waitress notice how little he ate and not charge for him. I had heard that can happen at WDW but never had it happen as DS was school age before our first trip.
It will be worth the price.

Jordans' mom

Just wanted to add to this thread that last nov. when we went to 1900 Park Fare at GF. My dd 7 was not feeling well at all. They brought her some tea, she ate nothing, practically threw up on Winnie the Pooh, we high-tailed it out of there and they did not charge for her "meal". --del

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter