"Chanting" no longer allowed at WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious what the difference between a "CM" and a "security guard" is...

Mickey cops don't get trained in SWAT or anything.

A good question to ask. In essence? VERY LITTLE.

THIS is why the Orange County Police, and WDW, have a contract. I have no idea of the DETAILS of that contract - only that it insures an authorized, legitimate, ARMED law enforcement presence at WDW.

Now, this is a very good thing. The WDW Security People are absolutely wonderful - but they are NOT POLICE OFFICERS. And DAILY, WDW NEEDS the real deal. It is literally a major city - a relatively behaved major city, but far too large to rely solely on Security Guards. I have no statistics - but based on the every changing population of this "city", and it's average size? They likely encounter a number of armed robberies, assaults, break ins.... pretty much everything we get in our HOME cities. They NEED real Officers, with the power of arrest, and guns.

So what does WDW Security do? A LOT. 99% of the crap that is likely to occur at WDW can be handled very well by an un-armed Security Force that knows the parks, and the people that typically visit them. No one needs a gun to search a bag - they DO need serious dedication. They could be killed at any instant. No one needs a gun to help a lost child... or to resolve the issue of the occasional drunk. Or a fight when it's hot, and people get impatient....

Next time you see a Security Guy or Gal? Please... say thanks - and that you get it :). They ARE CMs, there for your first line protection - always knowing that they are NOT the Police, but that they have the PROPER backup. They are absolutely NOT that rent a cop at Walmart :). Disney does a wonderful job recruiting real PROFESSIONALS for these positions (most ARE retired Law Enforcement).

Side note - I have no affiliation with these folks.... I am NOT a retired Officer. I HAVE researched the duties, responsibilities, and limitations, of these fine individuals.

SECOND Side Note: One day, if it has not already occurred and we just don't know about it.... these CMs WILL be the front line dealing with yet another Mid East Terrorist plot. WDW is just too big a target, and filthy animals go AFTER large targets.... it will (possibly already has) happen(ed). Next time it takes a bit to check your bag? Smile :). Say "thank you" :) Bet you make that person's day.

Can't be any worse than the Pop Warner cheers that go on while they invade the parks!

I for one will never go back to WDW in July due to these groups. Not only is the chanting loud but they are rude and cut into line, have one person het all the fast passes making the next person wait some time (no longer as much of an issue with FP+). Just do not want to deal with them ever again. So I chose to go at other times as I have that freedom.

Don't they have super greeters that deal with these groups? I'm guessing that hasn't worked that well.
The Super Greeters have helped some,but they are all Brazilians and the Argentina Fifteens basically ignore and resent them.

Next time it takes a bit to check your bag? Smile :). Say "thank you" :) Bet you make that person's day.

The WDW bag check (like the one at Charlotte Motor Speedway) is a huge joke. Yes, they would feel a pistol, or possibly a knife, but one could bring in all manner of explosives with no problem whatsoever. Your person isn't even checked, so you could still have all manner of harmful items in, say, pants with cargo pockets. At CMS I brought in one of those Duluth Trading Post soft side cooler lunch boxes. Only the top compartment was checked by security. I could have had anything in the much larger bottom compartment, to include several handguns and/or several pounds of explosive, and no one would have ever known.

The bag check might make unaware visitors feel better, but bag checks like this do little to prevent real threats by people who have thought about how not to get caught (as opposed to some impulsive wacko).

The WDW bag check (like the one at Charlotte Motor Speedway) is a huge joke. Yes, they would feel a pistol, or possibly a knife, but one could bring in all manner of explosives with no problem whatsoever. Your person isn't even checked, so you could still have all manner of harmful items in, say, pants with cargo pockets. At CMS I brought in one of those Duluth Trading Post soft side cooler lunch boxes. Only the top compartment was checked by security. I could have had anything in the much larger bottom compartment, to include several handguns and/or several pounds of explosive, and no one would have ever known.

The bag check might make unaware visitors feel better, but bag checks like this do little to prevent real threats by people who have thought about how not to get caught (as opposed to some impulsive wacko).

So I gather you would like these fine folks to NOT check anything? Or would you have a more positive alternative? Never a bad thing to complain - BETTER to offer a positive alternative.

A good question to ask. In essence? VERY LITTLE.

THIS is why the Orange County Police, and WDW, have a contract. I have no idea of the DETAILS of that contract - only that it insures an authorized, legitimate, ARMED law enforcement presence at WDW.

Now, this is a very good thing. The WDW Security People are absolutely wonderful - but they are NOT POLICE OFFICERS. And DAILY, WDW NEEDS the real deal. It is literally a major city - a relatively behaved major city, but far too large to rely solely on Security Guards. I have no statistics - but based on the every changing population of this "city", and it's average size? They likely encounter a number of armed robberies, assaults, break ins.... pretty much everything we get in our HOME cities. They NEED real Officers, with the power of arrest, and guns.

So what does WDW Security do? A LOT. 99% of the crap that is likely to occur at WDW can be handled very well by an un-armed Security Force that knows the parks, and the people that typically visit them. No one needs a gun to search a bag - they DO need serious dedication. They could be killed at any instant. No one needs a gun to help a lost child... or to resolve the issue of the occasional drunk. Or a fight when it's hot, and people get impatient....

Next time you see a Security Guy or Gal? Please... say thanks - and that you get it :). They ARE CMs, there for your first line protection - always knowing that they are NOT the Police, but that they have the PROPER backup. They are absolutely NOT that rent a cop at Walmart :). Disney does a wonderful job recruiting real PROFESSIONALS for these positions (most ARE retired Law Enforcement).

Side note - I have no affiliation with these folks.... I am NOT a retired Officer. I HAVE researched the duties, responsibilities, and limitations, of these fine individuals.

SECOND Side Note: One day, if it has not already occurred and we just don't know about it.... these CMs WILL be the front line dealing with yet another Mid East Terrorist plot. WDW is just too big a target, and filthy animals go AFTER large targets.... it will (possibly already has) happen(ed). Next time it takes a bit to check your bag? Smile :). Say "thank you" :) Bet you make that person's day.

The Security Apparatus is significant and robust...and behind the scenes by design.

So I gather you would like these fine folks to NOT check anything? Or would you have a more positive alternative? Never a bad thing to complain - BETTER to offer a positive alternative.

My point was that the current WDW bag check procedure is not going to do anything to stop what you were predicting was going to happen at WDW, a terrorist attack that is well thought out and coordinated among many people (a la 9/11). I never said they should never check anything (that is something you implied from my comments, incorrectly), and indeed, the current bag check would likely catch a wacko who tried to bring in a firearm.

Disney isn't easily going to be able to do airport-level security, so you have to accept (as do they) that there is a limit to what they will catch in a hand/visual bag check.

Also, many times when I have been through bag check, my bag wasn't checked thoroughly at all. Why? Was it because I don't look like a threat? Or was it because the bag checker was just tired and getting lax? Probably some of both.

Finally, you seem to be under the misapprehension that bag checkers and security officers are omnipotent and never make errors or get lax. That just isn't the case. They are humans like everyone else, and as such, subject to human failings. As much as some people (especially law officers) want to believe that law officers are above reproach, the facts simply don't bear that opinion out. As a group, are they better than the rest of us? Probably. Are they perfect? No.

The pop warner cheerleaders are equally annoying. We won't ever go their week in December again. If this rule is real and is enforced, that will be great news. I can't believe it's even necessary, but it really is.

Good, I want to enjoy the parks (sights and sounds) not others being loud and obnoxious.

My point was that the current WDW bag check procedure is not going to do anything to stop what you were predicting was going to happen at WDW, a terrorist attack that is well thought out and coordinated among many people (a la 9/11). I never said they should never check anything (that is something you implied from my comments, incorrectly), and indeed, the current bag check would likely catch a wacko who tried to bring in a firearm.

Disney isn't easily going to be able to do airport-level security, so you have to accept (as do they) that there is a limit to what they will catch in a hand/visual bag check.

Also, many times when I have been through bag check, my bag wasn't checked thoroughly at all. Why? Was it because I don't look like a threat? Or was it because the bag checker was just tired and getting lax? Probably some of both.

Finally, you seem to be under the misapprehension that bag checkers and security officers are omnipotent and never make errors or get lax. That just isn't the case. They are humans like everyone else, and as such, subject to human failings. As much as some people (especially law officers) want to believe that law officers are above reproach, the facts simply don't bear that opinion out. As a group, are they better than the rest of us? Probably. Are they perfect? No.

The real purpose of bag check is to slow everyone down, so that the real security can get a look at you.

This is one of the reasons I don't stay at a value resort during the summer! These so-called chanting culprits favor the value resorts!! I guess because they get a group rate?? They take over the food court and one time I witnessed them completely drain ALL of the soda dispensers! It was a nightmare!

So what? They still won't be able to tell what is in someone's bag by "getting a look at them".

I believe it is the same reason why the Israel government uses profiling techniques at their airports, to watch for certain behaviors that indicate possible threats, I would not be surprised and actually pleased to know that behind the scenes Disney security is doing the same via security cameras.

So what? They still won't be able to tell what is in someone's bag by "getting a look at them".
I think that part of the purpose is to give people the idea that they COULD check very thoroughly. Short of metal detectors (ugh) and complete searches, I doubt that they can stop everything from coming in.

Respond as they do under the Eiffel Tower when chanting starts- come out with automatic weapons cross chest and make security presence known. The chanting stopped quickly.

Disney SWAT team, I can't see that getting past the legal dept.

th

This is one of the reasons I don't stay at a value resort during the summer! These so-called chanting culprits favor the value resorts!! I guess because they get a group rate?? They take over the food court and one time I witnessed them completely drain ALL of the soda dispensers! It was a nightmare!
I don't stay at values in general because of the tour groups. NOt going to take the chance of being kept up all night.

It is EXTREMELY difficult for CM's to stop the groups from chanting (or climbing, stealing, breaking, or any other inappropriate behavior).

This was explained to me when I worked at WDW by a Brazilian co-worker, who pointed out that in Brazilian class structure, CM's are viewed to be "lower class" because they are working service positions. So these Brazilian kids are coming from "upper class" families, and are taught that the working class is beneath them, and as such hold no authority over them.

I'm not sure how true that is of all of Brazil, or if it was just the area my friend was from... but it does make sense.

I would LOVE the chanting to stop! I think it's absolutely a noise problem at times. I've travel abroad,and can't EVEN imagine chanting in other countries!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter