Changes to the way internet is billed on board

I didn't quite get the calculator. If my family and I face time 5-10 min a day for the 4 day cruise on feb3 on the magic, how much data would that use?

I didn't quite get the calculator. If my family and I face time 5-10 min a day for the 4 day cruise on feb3 on the magic, how much data would that use?

Based on my research, a minute of FaceTime calling should use about 3 Megabytes (MB).

Yikes, the concierge perk went from 100 minutes to 100 megabytes. Another downgrade..$40 benefit decreases to $19.. I know, I know....but it all adds up.

I'm new to all this so can someone tell me if I will also be using my cell phone data or will it be like being on wifi and not effecting my cell phone plan.

I'm new to all this so can someone tell me if I will also be using my cell phone data or will it be like being on wifi and not effecting my cell phone plan.

Put your phone on airplane mode and enable the wifi. You use the internet data, that you purchase on DCL..not the data on your personal plan.

Wow.. I'm so happy we have a no phone, or internet rule on our vacations..
The only time we ever get on the computer on vacation is if we need to check the bank account..

But I have to agree minutes was much easier to understand

Am I correct in thinking that this is strictly for internet and email and not texting.

These changes for internet billing is better than the previous way. I only wish DCL would do something about the internet speed but I understand the limitations with being at sea. I learned after my first cruise it's better to just unplug and enjoy the cruise and forget about my emails, FB, phone calls, etc, etc. I understand that some people have personal or business reasons why they can't do this.

Am I correct in thinking that this is strictly for internet and email and not texting.

If not using a system that sends texts via WiFi then you would pay the traditional Cellular at Sea text rates of .05 per incoming , and $1.50 per out going text.

How exactly does this work?

Do you prepay for the usage you think you'll use, or do you get charged based on the actual usage?

Can you use your purchased MBs across multiple sessions during the cruise?

Can you stay connected to the ship's WiFi for the Navigator app and only turn on using your purchased MBs when you specifically want to?

Can you connect with multiple devices to share the purchased MBs? If not, has anyone had success using a travel router to share it?

Would my family of 4, adults with iphones and kids with ipod touches be able to share a wireless plan and all use it on our phones so we can text each other using imessage like we do at home?

How exactly does this work?

Do you prepay for the usage you think you'll use, or do you get charged based on the actual usage?

The full details state that once you've bought a package you can't upgrade it, so I took that to mean that yes it would be pay for what you think you'll need in advance. So if I purchased the small package for 19 dollars, when I'd used the 100MB I couldn't upgrade to the medium package for another 20 dollars, I'd have to buy a new package. If they charged for what you'd used at the end of the cruise they wouldn't have needed to state this. To be honest I'd rather pre-pay, with a bit of guesswork, saves worrying about how big the bill will be at the end of the cruise.:scared1:

Can you stay connected to the ship's WiFi for the Navigator app and only turn on using your purchased MBs when you specifically want to?

Hope it works this way, it would suit us best:thumbsup2

Can you connect with multiple devices to share the purchased MBs? If not, has anyone had success using a travel router to share it?
Hoping for this too:)

Can only sort of answer 1st q:confused3 hopefully more details will be available after the switch has happened.

My wife just looked up the history on her iPad for the last cruise from September, and we got these results

outgoing facetime - 6 minutes (53MB)
outgoing facetime - 5 minutes (29MB)
outgoing facetime - 5 minutes (61MB)
outgoing facetime - 10 minutes (180MB)

now if those #'s are accurate, then the new change to MB vs minutes is changing the charge by a multiple of what , 10?

My wife just looked up the history on her iPad for the last cruise from September, and we got these results

now if those #'s are accurate, then the new change to MB vs minutes is changing the charge by a multiple of what , 10?

Based on the reports of the available bandwidth, it's unlikely that she would have been able to conduct these sessions with the onboard wifi.

The thing with this scenario is that if you were using the ships wifi vs Cellular at Sea, then while you we're using 5 min to FaceTime, someone else could have been trying to open one email. What should have taken them a few seconds, may have eaten up 5 of their minutes because of all the bandwidth you were using. So the rate change makes it much more fair, IMO. You will use more bandwidth than someone just checking in with family via email and thus they won't waste their expensive minutes.

Assuming I've understood this topic correctly, which may not even be the case, lol!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!