Changes to Candlelight Processional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgropp

DIS Veteran
A while back on this site, there was a rumour to some changes in this years Candlelight Processional show. A rumour is a rumour but if anyone has attended this weekend, did you notice any changes?

A while back on this site, there was a rumour to some changes in this years Candlelight Processional show. A rumour is a rumour but if anyone has attended this weekend, did you notice any changes?
i attended CP tonight, it seemed mostly the same. The Voices of Liberty are now in the Green center section (the tree), the cast choir is in Gold to the sides. No high school choirs. The only part that seemed different was the last verse about Jesus becoming Human to bring love to the world, I don’t remember that from before. They added back Let There Be Peace on Earth to the end. Time was still about 45 minutes.

*correction below regarding high school choirs (only 5:15).

Last edited:
Also went Tuesday night and agree with DebbieB. Mostly the same. Mashup at the end with Joy to the World and Hallelujah Chorus. But no major changes. Glad we went again.

We went to CP last night (11/29/22) and were a bit disappointed at the change from the middle story of the writing of Silent Night to the emphasis on Jesus becoming human, (as Debbie said). It seemed that this was almost overemphasized so that it could have been offensive to some. The only other difference, as stated, was the rewriting of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus with Joy to the World. It was somewhat comical in that many in the audience were not sure if they should stand, as they had in years past, because the Hallelujah Chorus was not complete! Change is hard for us old timers, having come for 20 or more years. It's beloved songs and Scripture readings have become so personal. But Disney is in the entertainment business, and change is inevitable.

i attended CP tonight, it seemed mostly the same. The Voices of Liberty are now in the Green center section (the tree), the cast choir is in Gold to the sides. No high school choirs. The only part that seemed different was the last verse about Jesus becoming Human to bring love to the world, I don’t remember that from before. They added back Let There Be Peace on Earth to the end. Time was still about 45 minutes.
My son’s high school choir is singing in the procession at the 5:15 show this Friday so they are still doing high school choirs.

Are you from FL? Just wondering why not choirs in each time slot.
Yes we live in South Florida. It’s an audition process to get selected as a choir to sing. My daughter is singing with her school choir on Dec. 15th too also at the 5:15 slot. I’m not sure why but maybe it has to do with the backstage area and not staging so many different schools. Whoopi Goldberg came back stage to talk to the kids and hype them up. It was beautiful

We went to CP last night (11/29/22) and were a bit disappointed at the change from the middle story of the writing of Silent Night to the emphasis on Jesus becoming human, (as Debbie said). It seemed that this was almost overemphasized so that it could have been offensive to some. The only other difference, as stated, was the rewriting of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus with Joy to the World. It was somewhat comical in that many in the audience were not sure if they should stand, as they had in years past, because the Hallelujah Chorus was not complete! Change is hard for us old timers, having come for 20 or more years. It's beloved songs and Scripture readings have become so personal. But Disney is in the entertainment business, and change is inevitable.
I'm happy to report that the CP at Disneyland last night (12/3) did not deviate from the Nativity story as reported in Luke and Matthew. Viola Davis delivered a particularly dramatic reading from Matthew's account of the Magi from the East and Herod. She used her voice to certainly cast Herod as a villain ... quite sinister. The total reading included:

Luke 1:26b-35; Mary conceives by the Holy Spirit
Luke 2:1-20; Census, travel to Bethlehem, birth, shepherds
Matthew 2:1-11; a slightly condensed reading of the Magi searching for the baby; Herod's inquiry; Magi's arrival and gifts

Following the Nativity story, I'm accustomed to hearing an adaptation of "One Solitary Life." This year, it was replaced by sections of 1 Corinthians 13 -- the "Love" chapter.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 said:
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

And we heard both Joy to the World and then the complete Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. The entire performance was so, so lovely!

"Well Done!"

Edited to add: My use of the board's "quote" source altered the reference. The full referenced quoted is: 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, 13

As the question has been ansered and the thread topic is not speciic in any way to DVC, I'm going to close this thread. I'm not going to Disney this year until January 2023, I was too late making my room reservations. The changes sound...interesting...I would have liked to have seen how the affect the show, maybe next year if they keep the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter