Change from POFQ to AKL?

sheilafri

DIS Veteran
I am booked for 4N at CSR and 3N at POFQ with DS12. The AKL water view is available for the 3N for a total of $150 more. I can afford the extra, but I don't like to waste money. I'm looking forward to the CSR because DS12 loves to swim and it sounds like it has a good pool and slide. Do you think it would be worth changing from POFQ to AKL?

Since you are already staying at a moderate, I don't think I would just move to another moderate. The pool at the FQ will also be alittle "young" for your DS12, especially after the great pool and slide at CSR. My kids were not interested in it at a much younger age than his.

I would do the deluxe adventure of AKL. It is an awesome hotel that I think you and your DS will love it. I think it will wow you and be worth the extra money !

I made the change for my upcoming trip on the 19’Th because I like the look and feel of the AKL more than the POFQ, it has larger rooms, and because it has more 'stuff’ (like animal watching and 2 restaurants I really wanted to eat at anyways), I wanted to visit the resort during my trip anyways so when I had the chance to stay their I jumped on it. it also ended up being cheaper than what I had budgeted for POFQ (but I had budgeted for staying at POFQ at rack rates and applied a discount code for AKL I could have applied the same code to POFQ and saved even more money but decided that I really wanted to stay at the AKL) so my choice was a no brainier

I've stayed at both and honestly- I would stay at POFQ. We had a savannah view at AKL which was neat. The rooms are not much larger- and the extra space is taken up by the queen sized beds verses the full at POFQ. We like AKL- but would never pay regular price. Our family is very park-oriented, we are in the parks from opening till closing. Therefore, paying the extra money for AKL is not worth it to us. POFQ is actually smaller. We were pretty close to the lobby at AKL, but people who stayed at the end of the wings were complaining on the buses b/c of their long walk. If I didn't have a savannah view, I think I'd stick to POFQ. AKL is nice: animals are very cool, bus service was great!
We didn't care for the food court, Mara- everything tasted weird. It depends on what your family likes. If you are going to spend a lot of time at the resort- go with AKL. If not, stick with POFQ.
JMOprincess:

that reminds me, AKL has larger beds (and now has fridges), another reasion i wanted to change :)

I had orginally booked my entire stay at CBR for 8 nights, but of course I felt some resort anxiety disorder (RAD) and began to think about WL or AKL becuase they were only a little more. I took the plunge and we are spending 4 nights CBR and 4 nights AKL (in pool view room) I have heard that AKL has a nice pool and I happen to love the resteraunts there so I don't think you could go wrong. According to the Unoffical Guide it has the 3rd best pool complex!

AKL without a doubt!! where else can you get the expience of Africa without going to Africa?? AKL is an awesome experience. Also, I would not swap from mod to mod.. you will not regret the additional expense. One of the best rest. on property is ther too Boma!

Just back from 5 days at CSR and 7 at AKL. Did not like CSR nearly as much as AKL. Have stayed at POFQ and like it better than CSR. The food court at CSR was so bad that most of the food was inedible...I actually was given my money back on kung bao chicken so spicy-hot that it made my mouth numb.
Have to agree about The Mara too -- the only thing we liked was the yogurt and granola thingy and the bagels. Also liked the refills on "Mr. Pibb". We liked the food court at POFQ even though it was limited in variety.

I cannot understand why the AKL is considered to have "the 3rd best pool" -- the slide did not work in 7 days there and the pool itself was nothing special. I would give CSR the nod there, as we enjoyed the Dig Site as well as the often empty quiet pools. Of the 3 resorts I mentioned here, AKL would be my favorite, but because of its design, its animals and its (usually) quiet atmosphere.

We go from the POFQ or PO Riverside for three days to the AKL Savannah view for 7 days. Really like both resorts. Beds bigger at AKL. Separate bathroom from rest of room at AKL. And, we love the animals. We didn't think the pool was anything spectacular at AKL. Nice but nothing great! Pool at FQ is more for younger kids. Pool at Riverside is more oriented for bigger kids. Both have their unique charm. It is easier, though, to go from a moderate to a deluxe than the other way around...we think.

We're doing five nights at POR and then two CL at AKL. I personally can't wait. I know my kids will go crazy for the savannah view, we love the look of the resort, and its exotic elements. The pool doesn't look fancy, but it does look attractive, and I know the zero entry will be a hit with my three-year-old.

I'm also in it for the bunk beds, which is a big thing for my older daughter.

POR looks pleasant, and I'm assured it will be beautiful at Christmas time. I would definitely pick it over CSR, which has a fabulous pool, but no great reputation that I've read for anything else.

The pool at POFQ looks like lots of fun, too.

Kris

I would definitely change to AKL. DH and I were there last spring break and we loved it! I am looking forward to staying there again sometime soon.

I made the switch! I'll spend the last three nights at AKL. I think moving from a mod to deluxe will give us something to look forward to. I think DS12 would be disappointed going from the CSR pool to the FQ pool from the comments I've seen.

We may be slowing down by the end of the trip, so I'll have to look into the restaurants for our evenings as so many of you really like them.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. As a sufferer of RAD (resort anxiety disorder) it is good to get other points of view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter