• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Chances of Sept 30, 2021 Rhine river cruise happening

CM Dad

DIS Veteran
My wife and are are booked on the 9/30/21 Rhine river cruise. Originally we were on the 7/1/21 cruise, but rescheduled before final payment was due. We are hoping to do the excursion to see the shipyard where the Wish is being built. I have not booked airfare yet, since I don't know if this trip will actually happen.

Anyone have opinions on this? Will the countries that we will visit be open to US visitors? We are both older and are fully vaccinated.

I'm cruising the Danube Sept 1 with Avalon. We received an email last week that said our cruise "is a go." Things can always change, but it seems promising. That said, our PIF date got moved back to July 18 (a month ago.)

My wife and are are booked on the 9/30/21 Rhine river cruise. Originally we were on the 7/1/21 cruise, but rescheduled before final payment was due. We are hoping to do the excursion to see the shipyard where the Wish is being built. I have not booked airfare yet, since I don't know if this trip will actually happen.

Anyone have opinions on this? Will the countries that we will visit be open to US visitors? We are both older and are fully vaccinated.
I'm cruising the Danube Sept 1 with Avalon. We received an email last week that said our cruise "is a go." Things can always change, but it seems promising. That said, our PIF date got moved back to July 18 (a month ago.)

Any more news on these cruises? We are booked on the October 14 Rhine cruise, and I was doing some research last night.

Although it seems as if most European countries will be open to fully vaccinated Americans, flights will be an issue depending on where you fly through, etc. For example, I have flights in and out of London right now, but those won't work because London isn't open to Europe and vice-versa right now. There is a chance that might change in August/September, but who knows.

Our October ABD cruise starts in Basel, Switzerland, but I just realized that the BSL airport is actually in France! It's things like this that are driving me crazy. Is everything open in that area between counties or which country's guidelines do we meet? The fact that ABD is incommunicado is really annoying me. IMO they should be sending out emails to all of its booked passengers on any of these trips that are allegedly going that advise people to get vaccinated ASAP and keep an eye out on flights. Also, what about kids who are under 12 who can't get vaccinated? ABD should be providing guidance. What the heck are we paying a premium for? I'm also worried about restrictions when we get there and itinerary changes.

I'm also concerned about a 9 month rule from the first shot for European entry. I had my first shot on 1-20. 9 months later is right in the middle of our cruise. How will this be handled? If it's from the first point of entry in the EU, we're fine. I assume we aren't going through immigration in all these places, but with different EU countries able to enact different rules, it gets very confusing.

IMO getting things going before 2022 is really pushing it. Aggiedog it will be interesting to see what kind of itinerary changes (if any) you have. Has Avalon been keeping you up to date with info?

EuroAirport Basel is jointly administered by both France an Switzerland with a "French" area and a "Swiss" area. From the Swiss side, there is a duty-free corridor directly to Switzerland. Technically the territory is in France but by agreement you are considered to be in Switzerland, depending on your flight.

EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg - Wikipedia

Note that Switzerland is NOT part of the European Union, but is part of the Schengen Area:

Schengen Area - Wikipedia

Other Swiss boarder anomalies include Buesingen am Hochrhein:

Büsingen am Hochrhein - Wikipedia

-Paul

EuroAirport Basel is jointly administered by both France an Switzerland with a "French" area and a "Swiss" area. From the Swiss side, there is a duty-free corridor directly to Switzerland. Technically the territory is in France but by agreement you are considered to be in Switzerland, depending on your flight.

EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg - Wikipedia

Note that Switzerland is NOT part of the European Union, but is part of the Schengen Area:

Schengen Area - Wikipedia

Other Swiss boarder anomalies include Buesingen am Hochrhein:

Büsingen am Hochrhein - Wikipedia

-Paul
Yep, I was going to mention that, but it's hard to figure out how it works in practice during COVID times. For example, if you take Air France, I presume you arrive in the France side? How does that work if you are going into Switzerland. I suspect none of this usually matters, but if Switzerland and France have different COVID rules it could. The whole thing is very frustrating and ABD's silence doesn't help :(

Avalon has not said anything else. We have signed up for excursions already. I'm fully prepared for it to not go, or go with changes. It's a 21 day cruise. If many of the excursions are taken out, I'd probably cancel.

Air travel was the biggest snafu when we went to Morocco this past February.

'm also concerned about a 9 month rule from the first shot for European entry. I had my first shot on 1-20. 9 months later is right in the middle of our cruise. How will this be handled? If it's from the first point of entry in the EU, we're fine. I assume we aren't going through immigration in all these places, but with different EU countries able to enact different rules, it gets very confusing.

IMO getting things going before 2022 is really pushing it. Aggiedog it will be interesting to see what kind of itinerary changes (if any) you have. Has Avalon been keeping you up to date with info?

I've been watching travel like a hawk. What's the nine month rule you speak of? I'm an ED nurse and my second vaccine was 1/16. Thanks.

I've been watching travel like a hawk. What's the nine month rule you speak of? I'm an ED nurse and my second vaccine was 1/16. Thanks.
I'm right there with you in watching this stuff like a hawk. I'm on FlyerTalk and someone on that mentioned it a while back. I haven't been able to find it in the EU releases https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news/digital-green-pass , but I did see it in this for Italy's green pass (from what I can tell the "green pass" is what the EU calls it's vaccine passport): "The green pass will be valid for fully vaccinated travellers for nine months upon the traveller has received the second dose of vaccine, six months more than it currently is and three months less than it was initially proposed by the authorities." https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/ne...vellers-that-received-only-one-covid-19-dose/ My hope is that *if* there is something about this buried in the rules that they keep pushing it back as we get more info on the longevity of the vaccines. One of the problems is that each member state is allowed to set their own rules, which makes figuring it all out a huge hassle. I'm still searching so I will update when/if I find out more.

Any more news on these cruises? We are booked on the October 14 Rhine cruise, and I was doing some research last night.

Although it seems as if most European countries will be open to fully vaccinated Americans, flights will be an issue depending on where you fly through, etc. For example, I have flights in and out of London right now, but those won't work because London isn't open to Europe and vice-versa right now. There is a chance that might change in August/September, but who knows.

Our October ABD cruise starts in Basel, Switzerland, but I just realized that the BSL airport is actually in France! It's things like this that are driving me crazy. Is everything open in that area between counties or which country's guidelines do we meet? The fact that ABD is incommunicado is really annoying me. IMO they should be sending out emails to all of its booked passengers on any of these trips that are allegedly going that advise people to get vaccinated ASAP and keep an eye out on flights. Also, what about kids who are under 12 who can't get vaccinated? ABD should be providing guidance. What the heck are we paying a premium for? I'm also worried about restrictions when we get there and itinerary changes.

I'm also concerned about a 9 month rule from the first shot for European entry. I had my first shot on 1-20. 9 months later is right in the middle of our cruise. How will this be handled? If it's from the first point of entry in the EU, we're fine. I assume we aren't going through immigration in all these places, but with different EU countries able to enact different rules, it gets very confusing.

Our Sept 30 ABD Rhine cruise also starts in Basel. I didn't realize until you posted that the BSL airport was in France. My wife and I have not yet booked airfare, since I'm still not sure that the cruise will actually happen.

I am disappointed in the lack of communication from ABD as well. If we were to cancel our cruise, we would lose our deposit because of when we made the initial reservation. For our cruise, there aren't any concerns about kids under 12, since it is an adults only cruise.

What is this about a 9 month rule? I don't think I've heard of that. I did find something that said that Switzerland considers vaccination to be valid for 12 months after the second week after your second vaccination. Not sure what that means for single dose vaccines.

Our Sept 30 ABD Rhine cruise also starts in Basel. I didn't realize until you posted that the BSL airport was in France. My wife and I have not yet booked airfare, since I'm still not sure that the cruise will actually happen.

I am disappointed in the lack of communication from ABD as well. If we were to cancel our cruise, we would lose our deposit because of when we made the initial reservation. For our cruise, there aren't any concerns about kids under 12, since it is an adults only cruise.

What is this about a 9 month rule? I don't think I've heard of that. I did find something that said that Switzerland considers vaccination to be valid for 12 months after the second week after your second vaccination. Not sure what that means for single dose vaccines.
We are in the same boat as you regarding our deposit, and I, too, intend to pay in full when I have to. I probably won't book airfare until a cruise ahead of me gets past the 45 day mark. That seems to be around when they are cancelling. The lack of communication from ABD is infuriating (as is the game playing to hold on to money when they have to know many of these cruises can't go).

If you read my post above, you'll see where I heard it. I"m waiting for a cruise to go before I really start the deep dive into all the country rules.

• Vaccine Certificate
The following vaccines (including mix-and-match vaccines) are recognised: BioNtech/Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, and Sinopharm. (Please be aware that this only applies to entering the country. Sinopharm is not valid for entering hotels, restaurants etc. within Austria.) You are considered "vaccinated" starting on the 22nd day after your first dose, lasting for 3 months from the vaccination date. After the second dose, the validity extends for another 6 months (i.e. the vaccination is then valid for 9 months total from the first vaccination date). Vaccines that only require one dose are valid from the 22nd day after that dose and for 9 months from the vaccination date. This also applies to people who have had COVID before and received only one dose of any vaccine.

Ds and I fly into Vienna enroute to Prague in December. The above is what I found on the 9 month vaccine requirement. I received my second dose last week and ds receives his on Sunday, so we should both be okay. However I see that Prague isn't on the list of countries permitted to enter Vienna without quarantining -- hopefully this will change. I don't suppose it matters currently as we fly from Canada, which isn't currently on Vienna's permitted list of countries either (I expect this to change soon). I am really looking forward to our Christmas Market European tour, so I hope it happens.

I didn't realize until you posted that the BSL airport was in France.

For immigration status, BSL (Basel) airport is in Switzerland, MLH (Mulhouse) is in France - but both are part of the same airport that happens to be located in French territory.

If your ticket is for BSL, you will clear Swiss customs and have a way to get to proper Swiss territory without ever being admitted to France or the EU.

The airport is well segregated. Even the roads are segregated so that Swiss vehicles can only go to/from Swiss territory and the airport and cannot enter France via the airport. There are even separate parking lots for French and Swiss vehicles.

EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg

-Paul

• Vaccine Certificate
The following vaccines (including mix-and-match vaccines) are recognised: BioNtech/Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, and Sinopharm. (Please be aware that this only applies to entering the country. Sinopharm is not valid for entering hotels, restaurants etc. within Austria.) You are considered "vaccinated" starting on the 22nd day after your first dose, lasting for 3 months from the vaccination date. After the second dose, the validity extends for another 6 months (i.e. the vaccination is then valid for 9 months total from the first vaccination date). Vaccines that only require one dose are valid from the 22nd day after that dose and for 9 months from the vaccination date. This also applies to people who have had COVID before and received only one dose of any vaccine.

Ds and I fly into Vienna enroute to Prague in December. The above is what I found on the 9 month vaccine requirement. I received my second dose last week and ds receives his on Sunday, so we should both be okay. However I see that Prague isn't on the list of countries permitted to enter Vienna without quarantining -- hopefully this will change. I don't suppose it matters currently as we fly from Canada, which isn't currently on Vienna's permitted list of countries either (I expect this to change soon). I am really looking forward to our Christmas Market European tour, so I hope it happens.
Thanks for posting this. So one more thing I need to hope changes (or that individual countries extend) before our trip. DH and I will be 9 months halfway through our trip so not sure how that would work for countries that are using the 9 months.

Did you end up doing this cruise? I am looking for more of your posts about it. Thinking about doing the Rhine one this summer, but not sure if it is worth that much plus I wonder if it will be crowded.@Californiagirl09

Did you end up doing this cruise? I am looking for more of your posts about it. Thinking about doing the Rhine one this summer, but not sure if it is worth that much plus I wonder if it will be crowded.@Californiagirl09
Do you mean if the ship will be crowded, or if the ports the ship goes to will be crowded?

Sayhello

We ended up cancelling it when they said they weren't going to Amsterdam--I want to say it was right around the PIF date. Our timing was horrible as I think things got better a month or two later. I would still like to do it at some point, but it's dropped down the list a little. Sorry to not be able to help out on this one!

The ship. I am going back and forth for this trip vs Disney Paris.
The ships used for the Rhine River Cruise only hold 156 people max. It will not be crowded. The entire ship is people taking the ABD River Cruise, and you will have up to 8 Adventure Guides. The ship being too crowded is pretty much the last thing I'd be worried about!

I would choose the River Cruise over Disneyland Paris in a hot second. There is *no* comparison!!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter