• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chance Value Rooms Will Open Up for Free Dining?

Bowen9475

DIS Veteran
Do you think there is a good chance that any more value resort rooms will become available over Labor Day weekend with free dining? Ideally we would prefer ASMo then POP over the other 2. We are a family of 5 and my niece and her 2 kids would like to go so we would need 2 rooms. She really would need it to be as inexpensive as possible so it would really have to be a value resort. If we went alone we could do POR. Definitely wished I had booked right away but we just started talking about it today. Thanks for your input.

You can keep trying, but I wouldn't count on it. They set aside a certain # of rooms for any time period at each resort.

Unfortunately, Pop and ASMo seem to be the first to fill up, maybe they have the least discounted rooms agailable, I guess.

Do you think there is a good chance that any more value resort rooms will become available over Labor Day weekend with free dining? Ideally we would prefer ASMo then POP over the other 2. We are a family of 5 and my niece and her 2 kids would like to go so we would need 2 rooms. She really would need it to be as inexpensive as possible so it would really have to be a value resort. If we went alone we could do POR. Definitely wished I had booked right away but we just started talking about it today. Thanks for your input.

Continue to check each day... people cancel all the time.

i just upgraded from pop to por the other day on free dining so that opened up a room at a value resort...possibly already scooped up...but it does go to show that they do open up

i just upgraded from pop to por the other day on free dining so that opened up a room at a value resort...possibly already scooped up...but it does go to show that they do open up

That assumes Disney puts that room back in the Free Dining inventory. I'm not sure Disney does that.

I just booked ASMU for september 2-10th today..... so maybe give it a try today..

Goodluck:thumbsup2

Keep trying... Are you calling Disney direct & have you tried to contact a travel agent ?? Sometimes they have a certain alotment... It never hurts to keep calling and trying any way possible. Hope something opens up for u and ur family.

Wishing you lots of pixie dust:cheer2:

This makes me concerned about the crowds. Last year we didn't book our trip until Memorial Day weekend. They still have Value reports available. We didn't get our first choice of MSMo though. We got ASSports. When I found out their pool was rehabbing, I kept calling back until something opened at Pop! and I changed my ressie. People will book free dining & THEN see if they can make it. Some of these ressies will be concelled. Keep trying, call each afternoon.

yea cancelled my memorial day week stay and changed it - to the week my sil has off of work.

This makes me concerned about the crowds. .

The OP wants labor day weekend which I tend to think will be one of the busier free dining times. Other dates should have Value Resort availability. Last year we didn't book until May and got POP for the week following Labor Day. This year we book on 1st public booking day and POP was showing full so booked Music. However, room was available at POP a few days later but we decided to stay with Music. Been to POP twice now. Loved it but wanna try something new.

We went last year during free dining, Labor Day weekend...they starting giving the people in the Value resorts free upgrades to the DVC to open up the value rooms. Don't know if they will do this again, BUT I wouldn't put it past them. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

We just cancelled a family suite at ASM a few hours ago during free dining. We decided to stay at POFQ instead as our party changed from 5 to 4.

I have a feeling the value resorts won't be overbooked this year which is what allowed the upgrades as more rooms were sold than were actually available( I was told it was a computer error but who knows?). That's probably why there seemed to be more bookings at the value resorts last year because it wasn't true availability. With the computer "glitch" closed I would think that what we're all seeing now is what's really out there. Still, people will cancel and hopefully something will open up. Final payments aren't due for awhile and they can always add more rooms to the FD Promo allotment as time gets closer.---Kathy

We went last year during free dining, Labor Day weekend...they starting giving the people in the Value resorts free upgrades to the DVC to open up the value rooms. Don't know if they will do this again, BUT I wouldn't put it past them. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

What was the crowd level like last year, joyerbides? This will be our first trip over a holiday weekend and I'm a little nervous.

What was the crowd level like last year, joyerbides? This will be our first trip over a holiday weekend and I'm a little nervous.

Actually, it wasn't bad at all. We never waited more than 10-15 minutes for the FP rides. MK was "dead" the morning we went. (Which was the day before Labor Day-Sunday). We went to Epcot on the Saturday before LD and pretty much did what we wanted to do (except for the rain :sad2: ). We went back to MK on LD and it was a little busier, but not by much. After the weekend, it was smooth sailing. The only thing I will say is, we went during Free Dining, and the restaurants were PACKED. Even with ADR's, there were waits. Just get to your restaurant early and check in. Have fun. It is a really great time to go. It is still pretty warm though, and there is the chance of rain. But other than that, if we could go again during that time, we would :thumbsup2

That assumes Disney puts that room back in the Free Dining inventory. I'm not sure Disney does that.

I changed my ressie from BC to Poly and right before I called there was no availability for a BC CL room. After I hung up with the CM and did the switch, I was curious if my room at the BC was available right away, or if it had to wait for the computers to update overnight. So I checked online. Well, much to my surprise, the room at the BC was available immediately. So I guess they do put them back in the inventory.

I would continue to check daily, even several times a day online if you can. Certainly wouldn't hurt! People cancel and change their minds about resorts, dates, ect. all the time!!!

Actually, it wasn't bad at all. We never waited more than 10-15 minutes for the FP rides. MK was "dead" the morning we went. (Which was the day before Labor Day-Sunday). We went to Epcot on the Saturday before LD and pretty much did what we wanted to do (except for the rain :sad2: ). We went back to MK on LD and it was a little busier, but not by much. After the weekend, it was smooth sailing. The only thing I will say is, we went during Free Dining, and the restaurants were PACKED. Even with ADR's, there were waits. Just get to your restaurant early and check in. Have fun. It is a really great time to go. It is still pretty warm though, and there is the chance of rain. But other than that, if we could go again during that time, we would :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info! I'm especially excited about this trip because its last minute and a surprise for our DS and DD. I was hoping that we wouldn't be disappointed with the crowd level. It will be a short one (August 29-31), but fun all the same, I'm sure. We have already made our ADRs for dinner and plan on pool time for our arrival day, followed by a water park one day and one of the four major parks (letting the kids choose) on the other day. This is one of the craziest things I've ever done - a 12-hour drive for 2-1/2 days! I tend not to be very level headed when it comes to Disney, though! ;)

This year we book on 1st public booking day and POP was showing full so booked Music. However, room was available at POP a few days later but we decided to stay with Music. Been to POP twice now. Loved it but wanna try something new.

This year, we booked on opening day as well but Pop was available. We're going the week after you're there: Sept 10-14th. If it were my DH, DD & myself, we'd definitely be at ASMo, but since it's just the girls, we'll do Pop!

This always amazes me - sure, there are plenty of people who go, and even with Free Dining, who don't do their homework. There is a VERY simple rule to prevent waiting for your dining ressie - BOOK THE VERY EARLIEST SEATING!

There are so many benefits to doing this - no wait being obvious, but since this is also the time most people DON'T want to eat (lunch no later than 11:30 am - dinner as early as 4:00 pm), you not only get in - but you get out just as everyone else is trying to get in.

Quite simply, you are on the rides when others are in the restaurants, and in the restaurants when everyone else is trying to get on the rides.

Okay, so it might take some adjustments - and we warn our kids that meal times will be a little bit "off" normal schedule - but they're at Disney - they don't care when they eat, just so long as they eat at a fun place and we're willing to allow for the occasional light snack.

If you know what you're doing - Free Dining actually helps with crowd avoidance!

Thanks for the info! I'm especially excited about this trip because its last minute and a surprise for our DS and DD. I was hoping that we wouldn't be disappointed with the crowd level. It will be a short one (August 29-31), but fun all the same, I'm sure. We have already made our ADRs for dinner and plan on pool time for our arrival day, followed by a water park one day and one of the four major parks (letting the kids choose) on the other day. This is one of the craziest things I've ever done - a 12-hour drive for 2-1/2 days! I tend not to be very level headed when it comes to Disney, though!

I could very well be wrong but...don't you need to book 3 nights at the resort to get FD? Or are you going 8/29-9/1?

I couldn't get the 29th my first few days of trying, but got it (along with my other 3 nights) at ASSp 2 days ago. I'm going to keep checking every day (I want POP because I crave their flatbreads) as I know people will cancel trips and upgrade to other resorts.

What was the crowd level like last year, joyerbides? This will be our first trip over a holiday weekend and I'm a little nervous

I have not seen FD change the crowds much over the years going the last week in August, but I know more people stay onsite. I didn't know there was a computer glitch last year that made Disney offer people at the values the DVC properties, I just assumed they were trying to fill as many rooms as possible. We'll see what happens this year. Opening up rooms at the values helps get people to stay onsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter