chairs and umbrella in Hilton head

emmababy

DIS Veteran
If we were to buy chairs and umbrella there, what would we expect to pay? Our Ikea has them here for $14.50 aNd I didn't know if we should get them here.

Also, can you rent them at the beach house? Is a umbrella necessary?

2 chairs and an umbrella was $32 for the day. They have them directly on the beach not associated with the beach house.

There's a Wal-Mart in HHI so you could always pick something up there but personally I would just bring our own if driving. We purchased some really nice Tommy Bahama beach chairs at Costco with a matching SPF umbrella that's pretty large. The chairs are made really well so they will last for trip after trip and the great thing about them was they have backpack straps on them and a couple of storage pockets on the backs. When you go to the beach there's always sooo much "stuff" to schlep. Cooler, chairs, towels, beach blanket, umbrella, snacks....it was super helpful if you don't have a beach cart to have the backpack chairs so you could free up your hands for the other crap. And yes, I would definitely want an umbrella (especially if going in the summer). When we went in August of 2010 it was 95 degrees every day and much too HOT not to have some shade. (There were also a lot of jellyfish so we couldn't stay in the water the whole time.)

I think it depends on if you really will sit at the beach each day. You'll have to take them back and forth from the resort to the beach club. Parking spaces can be limited at times. Convenience vs. expense is something to consider. We were there for 5 nights last August. Only sat on the beach one day - hot and too many jelly fish. Spent another day at the beach pool but more time at the resort pool. One caveat - we live about 1 hour from the beach here so we can go sit at our own beaches as well. If I lived where I grew up in western PA, I would probably sit at the beach more. One idea is to buy the chairs and rent the umbrella. They can be bulky to carry and honestly, having someone else put the umbrella in the sand can be a great perk.

Everyone keeps talking about all the jellyfish. Are they really bad?

I think it depends when the jellyfish are "in season". We usually go in June and haven't had to deal with jellyfish.

We drive so we bring our own beach chairs and umbrella. We also have the Tommy Bahamma chairs and umbrella from Costco. I think an umbrella is a must! We spend almost every morning to early afternoon on the beach and we need a shade spot for some respite.

They do have a Wal-mart on the island and our first trip down we did buy a set of chairs and umbrella from the store. They were inexpensive and except for one of the adult chairs all are still in good order today and are at our family beach house in DE. The kids really like their chairs as they say "Hilton Head Island" on them!! :)

Everyone keeps talking about all the jellyfish. Are they really bad?

I think that the jellyfish prefer really warm weather (warmer tropical bath-like water) so there's more of them in mid-late summer than there are early in the season. And this would apply to ANY east coast beach. That particular summer (2010) was really hot and they'd had a really long stretch of days above 90 right before we got there. The first 2 days we were there it stormed & rained A LOT (like pretty much ALL day) and so I think the rain cooled the water off so that our first couple of beach days there were a few jellyfish but not TONS. Then by the end of our week once it was hot & sunny & 90's all day again day after day they were back. They also seemed to be worse as the tide came IN. I think there were a lot on Thurs. that week & DS & DH each got stung lightly but Friday was AWFUL. DH got one wrapped around his leg and still has scars from it. Nobody could go in the ocean that day without getting stung so we hung out at the pool. It was just too hot not to be able to cool off with some water & shade. The pool at the beach house is very nice & they played a lot of water volley ball etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter