Castle in the Sky?

*Robin*

bibbity bobbity boo!
Hi everyone, just a quick question. The movie "Castle in the Sky" is being released on April 15th, with "Spirited Away".

Has anyone seen this, is it worth $22.50 (?!!)

It was initially released in 1986!!

Just wondering...

:) Thanks!

Robin

Castle in the Sky has never been released in the US to my knowledge....I do know of some who have it in the orginal Japanese. The 1986 release was in Japan.

Disney's been sitting on this one for a long time...there's a preview for it on one of our videos (possibly Kiki's Delivery Service? which was first released here by Disney in ....oh, the 90's sometime I think). All three movies are being released at once now...Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service. All were done by Hayao Miyazaki...considered by many to be one of the greats, if not the great of Japanese animation.

So anyway, judging by his other movies, I'm sure this one will be well worth it.....but to decide for yourself go rent some Miyazaki (My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki, Princess Mononoke) to see for yourself. His work does vary a lot though....some of it is very suitable for young kids (totoro, kiki) and some of it is very, very mature (Grave of the Fireflies). I'm assuming the new releases are all fairly kid oriented.

I knew someone here would have the answers. Thank you Leslie. I think we even saw Kiki's Delivery Service last year around Halloween on the Disney Channel. I had forgotten all about it.

My son is wildly into animation recently. I thought I'd get Spirited Away because it's been touted as so incredible. Maybe I'll spring for Castle in the Sky as well.

Does anyone know why Disney is buying up these types of movies? I'd hate to think it's because they've given up on making anything but "part 2" pictures.

:(

Have a great night all! :)
Robin

I'm just going to guess that Disney is finally releasing these because anime is such a huge thing right now.....and Miyazaki's work does fit well with Disney's core market (families). I do think this was a pretty smart move. Most anime that's hitting the market here is quite old....not just these releases by Disney. Not only that though....Miyazaki's movies are classics when it comes to Japanese animation. They really did get the best here. Not so much in the drawing...but in story. They certainly aren't what americans usually consider great movies (especially for kids)....they are subtle and emotional. They don't underestimate their audience. Very refreshing. There's no way Disney could even attempt to produce something like this. And among a certain small market they are guaranteed sellers. I wouldn't doubt if their awful "2" movies generate more income than these though. Maybe this is their slight nod to quality? LOL

In other words...I don't have any idea why...but I'm really happy about it!

I just saw that My Neighbor Totoro is out on DVD now also....I can't recall who distributed this one (it wasn't Disney) but they do sell Totoro merchandise in the shop in Japan at WS.

Ugh, I just realized I reserved Spirited Away today and forgot to reserve Castle in the Sky......but then again, I had to also reserve the Dragonball GT's that are coming out.....don't know if I can afford all of these at once! Thank goodness we already paid in full for Harry Potter, which comes out just a few days earlier than all of the above!

Wasn't Castle in the Sky the name of the Disney balloon that was shapes like Cindy's place?

Castle in the Sky is awesome!

I saw the Japanese version and loved it! I still haven't seen Spirited Away, but it's on my list.

Also loved Kiki's Delivery Service!:Pinkbounc

I thought it was "Castle in the Clouds," no wonder I can never find it at the video store! Thanks for the update. We have been waiting for this one. My kids LOVE "Kiki" and "Totoro."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter