Castaway Cay - where do you keep your stuff?

mickeyfan0705

Earning My Ears
Hi!

My family is going on the Wonder in less than 3 weeks now.
I was just wondering where you all keep all of your stuff (cameras, snorkeling gear, ID's, etc) say when you are out doing other things (eating, bike riding, swimming).

I was somewhat nervous about it, but we left our stuff on our chairs on the beach. We just covered them with a towel. Fortunately, nothing was touched. I don't remember seeing any lockers, so other than leaving them on your lounge chairs, better leave your valuables in your stateroom! Although it's a bit of a walk, it's always possible to go back to the ship to get stuff, or to return stuff to your room. Better safe than sorry...

'Beano'

Just back, did the same thing as BeanoC, I did see some camera bags jammed up into the arms of the umbrellas on the family beach. Good idea, if you have it in one bag! Have a great time!

We packed a back pack that we used on Castawat Cay. It was helpful for four reasons.

When we flew down, it was folded up inside our luggage. After we went to the Publix in Cape Canaveral, we pulled it out and loaded it up with the water and snacks and then it boarded the ship as luggage.

After we unpacked it on the ship, we used the bag to carry towels and cameras and sunscreen to the beach at St martin and to carry our purchases.

Then we used the bag again on castaway Cay for the same type of things, towels, sunscreen, ziplock bags, cameras, purchases, etc. Then we just left the bag on the chair when we were in the water or at lunch.

Then on our trip home, we were able to use it as an additional piece of luggage and used it to carry dirty clothes and put our new purchases in the hard sided luggage.

This bag was invaluable to us!

We just left our stuff on our lounge chair with a towel covering it while we were on Castaway Cay. I was a little bit apprehensive about it but everything was fine and all there when we got back.

:bounce: :bounce: Jules:bounce: :bounce:

same here, DH and I plopped all our stuff on a chair at the adult beach and spent the next 6 HOURS in the water and a few minutes at lunch ... our stuff was never touched. We had a camcorder and beachbag with our id and room keys and I didn't feel nervous at all about leaving it there.:)

WE also left our stuff on the beach chairs. I would only do this at Castaway Cay and not any of the Ports.

We just left our stuff on the lounge chairs. But we didn't bring anything more valuable than a disposable camera.

Here's a hint for everyone, put something distinctive on one of your chairs like a bright colored scarf [or a sunburnt husband!]Every chair had towels covering up belongings on them. While I was resting, a fellow passenger told me I had moved her stuff and she was quite upset. I knew there was nothing on the chairs when I arrived but I helped her search for her stuff. She finally spotted her husband far away. She was really lost, her stuff was fine, just about 25 chairs away from mine. Believe me, every chair and lounge looked the same!

Leslie

This may seem like a REALLY odd question ... but what kind of towels do the provide on CC? Are they beach towels ..... or bath towels??

Also .... should we bring a blanket for the beach? I hate beach charis....

Thanks

wdwo

The towels that you get are not beach sized. They are a nice towel with ribs (Bumpy?). Not smooth like a normal towel. OK someone please help me out here!:confused:

Hope this somewhat helps!

Help me out here - I am I the only person on these boards who goes to beaches other than Castaway Cay with valuables? What do you people all do with your camcorders and cash when you are hanging around Hawksnest Beach on St. John (like we did last week while on the Magic) or at Dawn Beach in St. Marteen (same cruise). Those are examples of beautiful, relatively uncrowded beaches that are not micro-managed/"policed" like Castaway is, and where there are no "lockers." I don't know about you, but I'm not about to leave a $1,300 Sony Digital Camcorder under a "towel" in places like that with strangers and locals walking around. Years ago, I got a Splashcaddy (http://www.splashcaddy.com), which is a 100% waterproof bag used by the U.S. Navy that can hold a small camcorder, cameras and the card and cash stuff. When I and the family go wandering several hundred yards down the shore or out into the water, that bag goes with me. As do any worries. Also, I've found that keeping the video and camera equipment accessible at all times tends to result in taking better advantage of a lot of those unexpected photography and video opportunities.

By the way, I also used it at Castaway Cay. As a CM told me, soda mugs unfortunately aren't the only things that "disappear" on DCL cruises. :rolleyes:

Hi Folks
For those not wanting a beach chair, you may want to bring an old flat sheet to use. Not too much room in the luggage and you can discard it after use should you not wish to bring it home, You will have some room for souvies. You can get a lot of pins in the space the sheet wil take up. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter