Castaway Cay Stingrays

blessedmomofboys

Mouseketeer
We have this booked and wanted to know how deep the water is. I was planning on having our 5 year old come too but he doesn't know how to swim and is on the shorter side. Is the water fairly shallow or should I stick with just me and my husband?

I just went with my son (11) you wade into the water from the beach, so basically you go as deep as you want to go. The initial interaction with the rays are quite close to shore, At most the water was to my knee cap and I'm not even certain it was that high.

The water does get deep as you swim out towards the nets, but you don't have to go that far out to see the stingrays. We fed the stringrays first and that is done right by the shore. After we were done feeding them, we were able to swim out into deeper water and snorkle. Go as deep as your child feels comfortable. Remember to do the stingray shuffle as you walk in the water tho. That way you don't take the chance of stepping on a stingray that may be buried under the sand. We had a blast feeding and swimming with them. Hope you do too.

It depends on the tide when you are there. We had seen all the pictures of people feeding the rays in knee deep water but when we went in December the person had the tray thing in water that was up to my chest so we had to hold the kids even though they had life vests on. The water being freezing didn't help since we had to go out that deep. Yes, we had to go that deep to feed to rays. I don't know why the CMs were so far out but just be prepared that it can happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter