Castaway Cay 5K

Hi! Several of us did the Castaway Cay 5k last August. It was a double dip - so we got to do it twice! It was hot - much hotter than I was used to in NYS. There is one little spot that if you can't see the leader (ummm...I couldn't!) you could take a wrong turn. And at that point, I was the only one of our group still running. It is perfectly fine to run/walk this 5K! But make sure that you check out the map at the beginning.

BTW, as an incentive to keep running - we also decided to get together at WDW in March 2011 to run the Princess 1/2 marathon. OMG. I've never run more than a 5 K before so this might be an experience...:lmao: (trying to talk my DH into doing the Family 5K that weekend...)

Also, we're booked on the Aug 16 Dream!! In fact, my 5K friend and I both booked our families on the same cruise again. There are a bunch of us crusiing together again - it's going to be a great cruise!! Take a look at our cruise thread!! :goodvibes

Oh very cool! Glad to know that I won't be alone. Of course, if I was alone, I wouldn't have to worry about getting so far behind. :) I hadn't really even thought about the heat. That could be icky. I really do hate sweating. *laugh* I suppose I will be over that by next August, I hope. :) At least I keep telling myself that. :)

I will check the cruise thread out. We are totally excited to cruise again, but have to wait until the first week in April to figure out dates. We might have to go earlier because of a school program, but we are trying to answers ASAP to decide. Of course, the ship is filling up quickly too, so hopefully they will still have a room available. As it is, we can't get early seating on that sailing and I know that I can try to change it once we are on the ship, but I am a little concerned that we won't be able to, and with a (then) almost three year old who goes to sleep around 8:00, that could be a nightmare.

Has anyone done this with one of the ship's strollers? Is it paved the entire length?

i'm not much of a runner, i was just wondering how long is a 5k?(in miles)

We just got off the Wonder yesterday and I did the Castaway Cay 5k this past Tuesday!

I got a new personal best time of 31:31 but also came in dead last! :goodvibes But I guess I can say that I placed in the top 10.. I just dont need to add that there were only 10 of us running. :lmao: I was 1st in my age group though ;);)

We were a bit late getting off the ship so the run didn't start until about 8:45. The weather started off cool but it did warm up during the run. I was hot at the end but I think that is because I was going faster than normal and it had been awhile since I had run outside. We got a nice DCL water bottle for finishing and water and a snack at the end.

The course was flat with the exception of the bridge and one other part. But even that was not bad at all. I did have to run through people getting off the ship on my way back. They did not want to move over and I had to say 'excuse me please' quite often. :eek:

Overall it was quite fun and a run that I will never forget! I really encourage everyone to give it a try! The guides are so understanding and make it easy for any level of runner!

I was thinking someone should form a Sprint Triathlon on Castaway Cay. Maybe I am biased as I like doing them. Thoughts?

A big YES! Loved the one I did last October (had to learn to swim first!:cool1:) It was my first one and and I am gearing up for my second. Have a 10k in May (first one) Olympic triathlon in June ( as a team, I am the 26 mile biker) and then Sprints in July, August and September. I am hooked...It was WAY WAY more fun than a running race!

Sprint triathlons are a shorter version...usually around 800 yard swim, 12 mile bike and a 5k at the end. Distances vary somewhat...but that is about average. beginnertriathlete.com has lots of good info.

I will be on the Dream in August 2011 and definitely plan on doing the CC5K. It will be my first Disney cruise. For all of you that are thinking about doing a 5K, I'm telling you to just do it and you will be hooked on running. I started doing 5K's over a year ago and now I'm training for my 1st 1/2 marathon this May. Some day I will do the Disney Princess 1/2. I'm use to running in the cool weather though, so August heat may slow me down....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter