Castaway Cay 5k age restriction??

99Wendy

Mouseketeer
12 year old daughter is a xc runner - me and DH not so much
Would she be able to participate in the 5k by herself as long as we walk off the ship with her? I would be able to briskly walk the 5k, but in no way keep up with her!
She is responsible enough to stay put in a general meeting spot when she is finished and wait for me

I think the issue is she would not be allowed off the ship without you or your husband.

12 year old daughter is a xc runner - me and DH not so much
Would she be able to participate in the 5k by herself as long as we walk off the ship with her? I would be able to briskly walk the 5k, but in no way keep up with her!
She is responsible enough to stay put in a general meeting spot when she is finished and wait for me
No problem. My then 11 year-old son and I did the 5K last year. He ran ahead and I walked, & we met up toward the end. Easy peasy.

You might want to double check, when you sign up, that you won't have to sign up for the 5K too, as I know there have been a few times in the past when they only let the people signed up the 5K off at that time (e.g. if you're late docking)

You might want to double check, when you sign up, that you won't have to sign up for the 5K too, as I know there have been a few times in the past when they only let the people signed up the 5K off at that time (e.g. if you're late docking)

Thanks for the heads up!
I don't have a problem signing up too. (Just as long and I don't have to run the whole time!)

We just got off the Dream on a B2B and they let spectators off with the runners on both 5k days.

Thanks for the heads up!
I don't have a problem signing up too. (Just as long and I don't have to run the whole time!)

It probably wouldn't happen, but I think I saw it happen like three times in about 100 visits to Castaway. You wouldn't have to run it at all, they cant make you. But because of her age, she wouldn't be allowed to get off the ship otherwise.

No rule against walking the entire CC 5K. The people handing out medals at the finish will only wait there so long, but if you walk the whole thing & take a long time, you can still pick up your finisher medal in a shop that they designate.

Just so you know, the form that's used to allow members of other rooms to take your child off the ship also has a spot on the bottom where you can give permission for your child to leave the ship without you and you check off Castaway Cay (and not the other islands).

upload_2017-1-29_18-3-34.png

That's the Parental Debarkation Authorization Form at the bottom of the check in page

My kids-both xc runners, my husband and I, runners, not as fast as them. We all signed up, got off together. They did their thing, we did ours. All meet at finish. Easy! Have fun!

Make sure you do the form mentioned above. This experience was the only negative one we had on the cruise and it was a bit scary too. My son is 13 and when we boarded he and I went to guest services to see if he could do the run by himself. The CM at guest services said absolutely he was old enough and signed him up. She did not say anything about debarking. Then the morning of the run we went to the meeting place with him and listen to the full 30 minutes of instructions. No one ever said anything about a minor debarking. They clearly told family members not running to go off the ship another way and not to go with the runners because they would be slower. They told us where to meet for the finish line and off the ship we got thinking our son was right behind us. We got to the start line before the runners and watched as they all arrived and got quite terrified as my son did not arrive. They then made an announcement looking for us and told us our son could not get off the ship until I signed this form. The CM was calling to tell them that we had signed it but they couldn't get any one in guest services and they weren't sure where my son was exactly. My husband went with another CM back to the ship while I stayed with the CM who was trying to call. My son had gone back to the room, not knowing what else to do and that is where my husband found him. Needless to say we were not pleased. No one at any point had said anything about us needing to sign that form. It was a big mess and although we tried not to let it, the experience soured us quite a bit.

They clearly told family members not running to go off the ship another way and not to go with the runners because they would be slower.

I personally have literally NEVER heard of that procedure before. And since every time I've done it the runners (and family members) are behind other people disembarking, I've never experienced having family members wait until a bit later, either.

I wonder if the Guest Services person that signed him up (especially since it's normally Port Adventures where you sign up) didn't know how it was going to be run that day, and therefore didn't think it would be an issue.

I personally have literally NEVER heard of that procedure before. And since every time I've done it the runners (and family members) are behind other people disembarking, I've never experienced having family members wait until a bit later, either.

I wonder if the Guest Services person that signed him up (especially since it's normally Port Adventures where you sign up) didn't know how it was going to be run that day, and therefore didn't think it would be an issue.

I have. For a while it was quite regular on one of the ships I was working on.

My oldest daughter, husband and I are considering doing the 5K. Is the kids club on the island open during the 5K?

Is there a cost to the run? Thinking this would be great for my daughter and I. Just want to budget if needed.

I am hopeful it is safe but I wouldn't let my daughter run alone, there are lots of areas with bushes surrounding and low visibility, lots of places for people to hide. My daughter was 10 when we ran it, and I made her go at my pace so I could supervise her, although she wanted to and could go faster. I'll let her run alone and at her pace on the track at home where I can watch her the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter