Cast Member Aspirations

Austin Graham

Earning My Ears
Hello Dis Family! My wife and I listen to your podcast and have a few questions that you can hopefully answer. In August 2016 my wife then girlfriend, Emilee, was a part of the college program. She loved every second of it, and would go back without thinking twice. Now that we are married and we live in North Carolina, we are both quickly realizing that Disney is calling us back, and are trying to figure out the logistics of how such a big change would logistically work. Our question is, do you think that a young couple with aspirations for someday starting a family could move to Florida and both work as Cast Members on the typical starting wage? Is this a feasible goal?

Thanks ahead of time!

Hello Dis Family! My wife and I listen to your podcast and have a few questions that you can hopefully answer. In August 2016 my wife then girlfriend, Emilee, was a part of the college program. She loved every second of it, and would go back without thinking twice. Now that we are married and we live in North Carolina, we are both quickly realizing that Disney is calling us back, and are trying to figure out the logistics of how such a big change would logistically work. Our question is, do you think that a young couple with aspirations for someday starting a family could move to Florida and both work as Cast Members on the typical starting wage? Is this a feasible goal?

Thanks ahead of time!
@Austin Graham - I don't have any advice for you, but wanted to wish you and your wife all the magic pixiedust: in the world (World?) with making your dreams come true!!

Of course it is possible, if you’re realistic about where you’ll live in the first instance. You won’t own a mansion, but if you find out what the starting wage is, figure out what sort of property you could afford, then go from there...

Of course, applying for the jobs are kinda important too. Do that first :)

That would be the first step; figuring out the application process for Disney. The Disney Career Page is great if you have the specific skill set they are looking for, but I am not entirely sure how to go about just a general castmember position. My wife did everything through DCP so everything was already in place for her. I would feel much more secure in moving to Florida with the knowledge that I have somewhere to go to work already. Anybody know of the hiring process for entry level cast members?

Although you had great and amazing fun on the college program it seems to me that experience is best left where it is...entry level Disney positions are designed to teach college kids the balance of customer service, how to respond to management, being on time and the fundamentals of a starting work ethic.

To each their own and if you want to follow your dreams do so! Just be prepared that as an adult your experience may be different and you might pine for more outside of a starting entry level salary!

That would be the first step; figuring out the application process for Disney. The Disney Career Page is great if you have the specific skill set they are looking for, but I am not entirely sure how to go about just a general castmember position. My wife did everything through DCP so everything was already in place for her. I would feel much more secure in moving to Florida with the knowledge that I have somewhere to go to work already. Anybody know of the hiring process for entry level cast members?
Not sure what the hiring process is like for WDW exactly. DLR for front line hourly cast members starts with the online application, then goes to the WBI and then to an in person interview where you will either be offered a job, waitlisted for a job for up to 6 months, or no offer. You are only allowed to apply for an hourly parks role once ever 6 months. These roles typically start at/around minimum wage and at most a few dollars above that and typically start at part time.

As much as I love going to Orlando for it's theme parks, they are the reason i'm scared to move to that area. The amount of power Disney has in the Central Florida area makes me uneasy. The area as a whole depends on tourist to survive. I don't know, but i'd rather not live somewhere were one private corporation has so much power to influence. Florida, but especially central Florida thrives or fails on its tourist industry.

Does anyone have knowledge of a hotline that i could possibly call to try to get some more information?

After my advanced internship in 2000 I looked into getting a teaching job in Orlando. I actually read a book on Celebration that was written in the late 90s I think. I had also visited and toured the school during my YES Program. At the time the school was going through some growing pains which I've heard that has changed. I had an interview for a teaching job in Orange County scheduled for 8 am and then an interview in Arlington, VA set for 9 am. (both interviews were on the phone. I bet today it would been done over the computer.) Orlando didn't call at 8 so after I interviewed for the Arlington VA job and was offered it a half an hour later I accepted sight unseen. (I had only been to DC area as child visiting friends) Orlando called back later wanting to do the interview but I already had accepted the other job.

If you all are planning to have a family you are going to want to be living in a good area with low crime and good schools. I think those 2 conditions would definitely help me decide where to live. (I have heard good things about the Oviedo area.) Something that bugged me about the school groups from within the area that would come on the YES tours was that for too many of these kids Disney World had just become an amusement park. They had lost the magic. :sad2: For them (I heard their comments) Disney was no big deal.

I do wish you luck on your decision. This is an old blog but it might be useful. https://takingthefloridaplunge.wordpress.com

I have no advice or help to offer, other than to say life is a journey and not a destination. Whatever you decide to do, you will be presented with both opportunity and with challenge. Rich or poor. Young or old. Orlando or North Carolina.

I wish you well in your journey and in following your dreams.

Thanks ahead of time!

Could you do it? Yes, of course. Orlando has plenty of affordable apartments and houses that two cast member salaries could rent. It wouldn't be a glamorous life, but being a cast member definitely has its perks. I think the bigger question is what jobs would you be giving up, and how much of a pay cut would it be to change jobs. To find out, have your wife call her old supervisor or someone at casting and see what her offer would be. She should be able to start working right away without having to wait for a ton of training. Then after you get the apartment and drive down, head to the employment center and apply.

I think you need to take a step back and decide what you career goals are. A front line cast member, in my opinion, is an entry level job that is a starting point for something else. Do you have a degree or any trade skills? Just like any entry level job the way to look at it is the path for advancement through the company, not looking at that job as the end game.

I would not personally move across the country for an entry level job unless there were none near me. Instead I would get into a field that would allow me to move to Disney in Orlando at a professional position (maintenence, mechanic, accountant, HR, etc).

Good luck wherever you end up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!