Cash tips or Electronic?

randumb0

Party at Mickey's
I will be tipping my servers and room attendant above the standard amount. Does the crew prefer cash or should I modify the tip amount charged to my room?

I will be tipping my servers and room attendant above the standard amount. Does the crew prefer cash or should I modify the tip amount charged to my room?
I’m not certain you would get a straight answer from crew members. Obviously, they prefer to receive extra tip amounts, and they may not want to jeopardize that by indicating a preference. I have heard that electronic tips are somewhat easier for crew to manage, since they don’t have to deposit the cash to get it into their onboard accounts. Too much cash may be less convenient once they have provided for their needs for port shopping and such.

We have always prepaid the gratuities prior to departure, since I like having all the base cruise expenses paid. I also buy some stateroom credit to cover the cost of our excursions and tastings. We then used cash for additional gratuities for the serving team and stateroom hosts, but when we started doing longer cruises (think transatlantic or Panama Canal), the amount of cash needed became inconvenient. Once we started doing electronic, planning was simpler. I go to Guest Services and add the additional amounts a day or two before the end of the cruise. We now do that even for short cruises.

I don't know what their preference is, but personally I find it easier/less stressful to modify the amount at guest services. Then it's not a big deal if you don't remember to bring the little envelopes with you to the dining room or your dining plans get disrupted (illness, kid meltdown, etc.) - they are getting the amount you intended, regardless.

Cash! I have been on a lot of cruises, especially post Covid and listening to what they tell us… if you add any gratuities on electronically like additional grat, it doesn’t go directly to that person… there was a bartender in Pink on the Disney Dream that said the gratuities first go to the bartenders, than the bar backs, and then to the group that they were placed in so, he wasn’t even going get the full amount of auto gratuity … imagine busting your butt and somebody that’s lazy is getting part of that money.

Cash! I have been on a lot of cruises, especially post Covid and listening to what they tell us… if you add any gratuities on electronically like additional grat, it doesn’t go directly to that person… there was a bartender in Pink on the Disney Dream that said the gratuities first go to the bartenders, than the bar backs, and then to the group that they were placed in so, he wasn’t even going get the full amount of auto gratuity … imagine busting your butt and somebody that’s lazy is getting part of that money.
On DCL, your assigned servers at dinner and your room host (that the OP was asking about) get their gratuities directly though. They get the full amount of the default and the full amount of anything extra you add.

As cmph said on DCL the auto gratuities that are added to your stateroom bill fo go directly to the dining room serving team and your stateroom host/hostess. You are correct about the auto bar gratuity, but any additional you write in on the tab goes directly to the person who waited on you. So that person gets a share of the 18% auto plus whatever you add even though it is electronic. That is not the case on the other cruise lines as all gratuities are shared ship wide.

We pre-pay our gratuities. We then bring cash to add to envelopes for additional gratuities to individuals.

Imagine telling this information (which may or may not be true) to a guest. Yikes. Totally inappropriate.

That's what I do but I am wondering if cash is more of a hassle for them

Yes, it’s more of a hassle to have cash. Everything they purchase on board is electronic through their accounts, they don’t have access to traditional banks so any cash they have they need to deposit using the ship’s purser, who has limited hours and requires standing in a long line. Most of them are working to send money to their families at home and having it directly deposited in their accounts means family can access it right away. The only time they would potentially use cash is if they have a day off in port and even then they don’t need much if any.

They are also prohibited from keeping much cash on hand (I’m not sure what the current amount is), but even if just a few people leave cash tips they’re back to standing in line to deposit it.

If the choice is between no extra money and cash, of course they would be happy to get it. However, if you’re trying to decide what’s easiest for them it’s adding it to tip electronically.

Yes, it’s more of a hassle to have cash. Everything they purchase on board is electronic through their accounts, they don’t have access to traditional banks so any cash they have they need to deposit using the ship’s purser, who has limited hours and requires standing in a long line. Most of them are working to send money to their families at home and having it directly deposited in their accounts means family can access it right away. The only time they would potentially use cash is if they have a day off in port and even then they don’t need much if any.

They are also prohibited from keeping much cash on hand (I’m not sure what the current amount is), but even if just a few people leave cash tips they’re back to standing in line to deposit it.

If the choice is between no extra money and cash, of course they would be happy to get it. However, if you’re trying to decide what’s easiest for them it’s adding it to tip electronically.
I will heed this advice. Is there a way to electronically tip room service?

Last edited:
there was a bartender in Pink on the Disney Dream that said the gratuities first go to the bartenders, than the bar backs, and then to the group that they were placed in so, he wasn’t even going get the full amount of auto gratuity
My understanding about bartenders/servers in bars is that the autogratuity is split amongst all bar staff but an additional gratuity goes to the person serving you. So I always tip extra at the bars or on deck if they bring me a drink. It certainly tends to get them to remember you if you do that and it doesn't need to be a large amount.

I also always tip extra at dinner when they bring me the drink chit. I assume at least some portion of that also goes to the assistant server so I always tip even larger if they go above and beyond to find me a good pairing for my dinner. Plus we may increase the tip to the assistant server at the end (we always go to GS to increase - I never use cash) if I think they've gone above and beyond. On our last cruise, our assistant server not only was really good about making sure I had a good pairing of wine but also was really good about bringing me a different set of breads because of some allergies and making sure to check if I wanted another drink. So I tipped well on the chit plus increased her regular gratuity.

Gratuities to the four standard people (room attendant, server, assistant server and head server) are different. They do go to the individual.

I will heed this advice. Is there a way to electronically tip room service?
Sometimes. It has been hit or miss for us as to whether or not we get a receipt to sign when ordering “free” room service items. Always get a receipt to sign with paid items, like canned soda, beer, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter