Carseats on plane for 4,3 & 2 yo

mommytodarlings

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if my kids have to be in car seats. They will be 4.5, 3.5 and 2 at time of flying.

Can they just go in lap belts or do I have to take seats for all of them?

We will be flying US Airways.

mommytodarlings said:
Does anyone know if my kids have to be in car seats. They will be 4.5, 3.5 and 2 at time of flying.

Can they just go in lap belts or do I have to take seats for all of them?

We will be flying US Airways.

We have flown with our dd since she was just over a year (she's now 6) and we have only used her car seat once when she was about 2. I believe there is no legislation that says you "must" have a car seat for the age of your children. If you do decide to use carseats it's better to check with your airline to see what they allow. I think some airlines require "aviation" approved car seats. Hope that helps! :goodvibes

I am Flying US Airways and e mailed them the same question the reply that i got was
Approved child restraint devices may be used, but are not required when traveling on US Airways. If you decide to use a child restraint device, please ensure it displays one of the following endorsements:
  • "This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards."
  • "This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft."
  • Endorsements of foreign governments.
  • Indication that the seat was manufactured under the standards of the United Nations

Hope this answers your question

I didn't think I had to put them in a car seat, but here is the reply I got to my email to them:

Passengers under the age of 4 and/or under the weight of 40 lb must be
in an FAA approved car seat for travel on US Airways.

US Airways accepts approved car seats on all flights.

Acceptable car seats:

1. Manufactured between January 1, 1981 and February 1985 must bear the
label:

- This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor
vehicle safety standards.

2. Manufactured after February 26, 1985 must bear two labels, stating:

- This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor
vehicle safety standards.

and

- This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft,
in red lettering.

3. Manufactured outside of the U.S., must bear a label of approval of a
foreign government or a label showing the seat was manufactured under
the standards of the United Nations

I am going to call to see what answer I get. I really don't want to lug 3 carseats and our luggage through the airport.

anyone know the standards for Southwest? My 6 yr old son is handicapped and his booster car seat helps him sit better. How do i find out if its allowed?

I have traveled with my DD since she was about 8 months old and never used a car seat (she is 10 yrs now). Too restraining on a long flight. I usually could find some open seats and let her lay down and have a nap on her blanket. I think the kids in the car seats get too antsy and start creating too much. Not to be morbid...but if the plane goes down, a car seat isn't going to make much difference. I personally say let them be comfortable. If there is turbulence, you can hold them on your lap backwards with their tummy to your tummy, or if they are over 18 mos ish, you can put them in the seatbelt. Just MHO, but I am sure others do believe in the car seats on the plane. I just couldnt be bothered to lug it on. Maybe views are different now than they were 10 years ago too...

I called US Airways and they said they are optional for our 2, 3 and 4.5 year olds, thankfully. I was not looking forward to having to carry 3 car seats, luggage and get the 3 of them through the airport.

I agree, some may say take them, but it is just too much hassle with 3 of them and we are not renting a car so they will just be taking up space in the room during our stay.

disneyobessed said:
anyone know the standards for Southwest? My 6 yr old son is handicapped and his booster car seat helps him sit better. How do i find out if its allowed?

Sorry to say but most booster car seats are not aircraft approved. Are trip in Nov will be are first trip are son will not be in his car seat and just sitting in the airplane seat. He will be almost 5 years old.

Later,

DisneyScuba

We've always lugged our car seats for our car rentals, but checked them at the plane. We've never used them on AIr Canada, nor have I ever seen anyone else use carseats on the plane :confused3 Under 2, they didn't have their own seat and had to sit on my lap.

Actually no booster seats without harnesses are allowed on any airlines. Combination booster seats with harnesses are allowed as they are combination seats, but if remove harnesses, they are not allowed. I am assuming that since your son is 6, he is in a booster seat without harnesses, in which case that would not be allowed on the plane.

Tiger

With the exception of ds's first trip @ 5 mos, we always bought them seats b/c I hated the way it felt trying to hold him in my arms at landing--like he could be pulled out by the force of it. (And my mind raced, a survivable crash-landing would be a lot rougher.) BUT a 2 yo in his/her own seatbelt, I'd not fuss about it. We did use dd's carseats on the planes until they were each about 2, but not the most recent trips. I remember taking ds to Las Vegas (we have friends there!!) when he was bout 2 and it was a bit hairy making sure the carseat was appropriately labelled for American requirements. (Got several different stories.) I would use them for babies and toddlers, maybe for a 2 yo, but not for 3 or 4 yo's. And yep, they are a tremendous PAIN to deal with getting on and off airplanes. For the ride, it wasn't so bad, it was familiar, and for little ones, more comfortable than that big seat, but on and off (and connecting!) was a lot of trouble.

Have a great trip!!

we have always flown with Westjet and when we brought ds's car seat he had to be inthe seat closest to the window. I am not sure if all airplanes require this. But with 3 kids and 3 carseats that might not work

Don't flame - I'm just providing the info:
In 1995, in the aftermath of serious and sometimes unexpected events of turbulence, the FAA issued a public advisory to airlines urging the use of seat belts at all times when passengers are seated.6 Some airlines now comply, but the requirement does not apply to children younger than 2 years because they are not required to be restrained at any time during the flight.
Children younger than 2 years are the only occupants who, under current federal regulation, are not required to be restrained or secured on aircraft during takeoff, landing, and conditions of turbulence; even items such as coffee pots must be secured.
Preventable injuries and deaths have occurred in children younger than 2 years who were unrestrained in aircraft during survivable crashes and conditions of turbulence.
These quotes are from an American Academy of Pediatrics report on child safety in aircraft. Do not base your decisions about child restraint seats on what an airline allows - they are more interested in the sale then your child's safety - otherwise they would at least show the same concern that they have about a coffee pot becoming a missile during an emergency. If you would like to read the entire report click here.

calgarygary said:
These quotes are from an American Academy of Pediatrics report on child safety in aircraft.

Gary thanks for this information. I didn't think of it until I experienced how hard it was to hold my (5 month old) son on landing, and while the lap-child-free thing is nice for families, we chose not to take advantage after that first experience. OTOH, I did keep him in my lap for the most part for the "gentle" bits of the ride when the seat belt sign was off. But then I am in general a seat belt nut, and would never consider driving with a baby in my lap. (I am the only person I've ever seen insist the airport shuttle driver find a way to secure my kid's carseat! They think I'm nuts.)

I do think there's some discretion there based on the child's size. A large 2 yo would probably be more comfortable without, but I think for littler ones, until their legs are bumping the seat in front, the familiar car seat is also a nice thing for them in a strange noisy busy airplane.

CalgaryGary - Thanks for your post. Very important information.

Our kids are now out of car seats, but like coastgirl we learned our lesson the first time flying with DD on our lap. Very bad turbulence coming in and I knew if it got really bad we wouldn't be able to hold her. Both DH and I did all we could and it was very scary!

After that experience, we took her carseat for the next flight. This was 9 years ago and it was a great flight. She felt she was in the car and I gave her all the usual items to keep her busy and no problems. DH and I did agree if there was an emergency, I would go for the buckle on the seat and he would grab DD. Just a precaution. Plus we got compliments from our fellow passengers on how well behaved our 18mo old was during the entire flight!

If your kids are older than 2 and have their own seat you should be Ok, provided you make sure the belt is snug around their waists and there is little chance that they can slip under the belt in turbulence.

Three kids on a plane...........whew! Good Luck and have a great trip!

calgarygary said:
Don't flame - I'm just providing the info:

These quotes are from an American Academy of Pediatrics report on child safety in aircraft. Do not base your decisions about child restraint seats on what an airline allows - they are more interested in the sale then your child's safety - otherwise they would at least show the same concern that they have about a coffee pot becoming a missile during an emergency. If you would like to read the entire report click here.

From what you quoted, it only mentions children being seatbelted, not necessarily in carseats. I agree about the seatbelts. All of us were seatbelted the entire time, not just when the light was on, because I get freaked on airplanes :scared1:

I find it confusing with the quotes by posters of children under 2 that used carseats. I assume you had to purchase a separate ticket? Because the flights I had to WDW with my then DD1 didn't have any spare seats, so I'm not sure where you would have put a baby carseat even if you had one. Doesn't really matter.. not going down the baby route again :goodvibes

Thanks for the replies.

We have purchased seats for all of our children, including an infant in a car seat.

My concern was with the 2, 3 and 4 year olds since I was originally told that it was mandatory that I bring car seats for them if they are under 40 lbs.

We will be travelling with 4 children and have purchased 6 seats. I did not want to be bothered having to hold a child all the time so we spent the extra $$, no big deal.

I have since called US Airways and they advised that safety seats are optional for the older children.

Yes, we are probably crazy for travelling with a 4.5, 3, 2 and infant, but we have put off a trip for too long, me being pregnant all the time, :rotfl2:

We probably will only spend 1 day at the Magic Kingdom and just "relax" at the resort the rest of the time. My dks will be happy just exploring the resort, going swimming and playing at the playground, lol.

It is the last time that dh will have a lot of time off (14 weeks parental leave, gotta love Canada) so we are taking advantage of it.

mommytodarlings said:
Yes, we are probably crazy for travelling with a 4.5, 3, 2 and infant, but we have put off a trip for too long, me being pregnant all the time, :rotfl2:

We probably will only spend 1 day at the Magic Kingdom and just "relax" at the resort the rest of the time. My dks will be happy just exploring the resort, going swimming and playing at the playground, lol.

It is the last time that dh will have a lot of time off (14 weeks parental leave, gotta love Canada) so we are taking advantage of it.

With 4 kids under 5 years of age :scared: :worship:, you certainly deserve some down time no matter where it is :beach:

amw said:
I find it confusing with the quotes by posters of children under 2 that used carseats. I assume you had to purchase a separate ticket? Because the flights I had to WDW with my then DD1 didn't have any spare seats, so I'm not sure where you would have put a baby carseat even if you had one. Doesn't really matter.. not going down the baby route again :goodvibes

amw - yes, we did purchase a seat. And boy, did they check!

After we boarded (it was a flight to Florida) they kept asking to see DD's boarding card. They wanted to make sure......5 times at least....that we just weren't snagging a seat.

Mommy - If you think the 2yr old can sit confortably in a belted seat, then I wouldn't bring an additional car seat.
Whew - all I can say is, that's a lot of diapers!
Bless you!
Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter