• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Carry-on luggage?

TinkHappy

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know the size allowed for carry-ons? I am very worried about checking our luggage now, now that you can't lock it.

Consult your airline's webpage. They list the size. I never lock my luggage, never will. I really don't think it is an issue anymore now than before. If someone wants something a tiny luggage lock is not going to stop them.
You do realize, I hope, that along with size of luggage, there is a limit in number of items you may carry on.

What you might want to consider is one of those twisty tie things. I know it won't make it secure like a lock does but it does help prevent it from accidentally opening.

There is usually a carry-on luggage sizer whereever you can purchase suitcase. Check out your nearest department store to see if your carry meets the requirements.

We just got back from Mexico and used key rings to keep our zippers from coming apart. They are easily removed if you need to open your suitcase for inspection. They won't fray the way some twist ties do. They are inexpensive and can be found in craft sections of stores.

After flying this past weekend....I was throughly surprised at how many carryons some people were allowed to DRAG aboard......

On my flight home the lady sitting next to me had a roll bag...(med- large size)...A dog in a bag, and a saddle size shoulder bag and a purse.....One would think that somewhere she went over her limit......:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

PS...have never locked my luggage and haven't ever had a problem.....

I agree with the last poster - some people will DRAG on anything. I am always annoyed at the people who blatently carry on what I consider a suitcase and call it a carry-on. There is limited room as it is and one of those "Carry-ons" takes up literally half the storage bin above the seats leaving me scrunched in my seat with my small carry-on under my chair (because it fits!). So not only does the rude person who carrys on their entire life get the overhead bin, they also get leg room to boot! I personally have never locked luggage and it has never been an issue. Also- the new restrictions don't say that you CAN'T lock luggage. It is just recommended because in the event that the screeners need to open up your bag they will have to break off the lock if you are not present (some screening is not done in the public areas).

So not only does the rude person who carrys on their entire life get the overhead bin, they also get leg room to boot!

And, they are the same buffoons who insist they get off the plane first, at the risk of life and limb to other pax. I was nearly bashed in the head by some idiot who came from the front of the plane to get his carry on stuff and proceed to whip his brief case and bag out of the overhead missing my head by a mere 2". The cargo hold is for luggage, the overhead is for little items, under the seat in front of you is for little items.

Originally posted by Bildmouse
We just got back from Mexico and used key rings to keep our zippers from coming apart. They are easily removed if you need to open your suitcase for inspection. They won't fray the way some twist ties do. They are inexpensive and can be found in craft sections of stores.
God bless you, Bildmouse!!!

I'm a typical combination lock suitcase locker and was really starting to worry about what I'd do on my next trip in Feb. I had settled on using zip-strips and bringing on a small fingernail clippers either in my carry on or tucked into a pocket of my checked luggage (secured shut by a twist tie). Your idea of using key rings is an EXCELLENT one!!! Thank you!!

My biggest problem in locking my luggage isn't because I don't trust the people who must search, it's that I don't want to leave open any temptation to baggage handlers. If they have to take the time to get the lock off, they're more likely to move on to a suitcase that's easier to open.

Keyrings securing both zippers where the lock used to go will mean they have to stop and take time to "unthread" the key-ring with no guarantee that they will find anything valuable inside, then thread it back on. The key-rings will also be my peace of mind in that I won't have to worry about how I'm going to get the zip-strips cut off at my destination in case I lose the nail clippers.

Thanks for a great idea, Bildmouse! :D

Another thing I did was put all our clothes in ziploc bags. I rolled them and got 3-4 outfits in each two gallon bag. It might seem like a waste of time but when we got to Cancun someones luggage got ripped open on the carousel and their clothes were all over. When we were leaving they went through everyone's luggage (new x-ray machines aren't set up there yet). Each night I would toss our dirty clothes back in the bags. I squeezed the air out of the bags when closing them and I think it took up less space then not having them in bags. You could spend more money on the bags advertised on TV but the ziploc bags worked just as well for us and nothing seemed wrinkled when we took stuff out of the bags.

I loved the zip-lock bags. I used them last time we went on our cruise. My husband said I was nuts, but when my DD's got up to get dressed, they just grabbed a bag. It was great. Everything from socks, underwear and the outfit were in each bag. We also took extra bags for wet things to pack. The really worked great.

FAA/TSA rules are 1 carry-on per person.
The airlines might not enforce the rules, but the TSA might stop you at the security check point.

Originally posted by dvc guy
FAA/TSA rules are 1 carry-on per person.
The airlines might not enforce the rules, but the TSA might stop you at the security check point.

You are also allowed one 'Personal bag' which is meant to mean a diaper bag, purse, laptop carrybag or a camera bag. I have a feeling this is where a lot of people are taking the leeway with the one/two bag restriction. "Yes sir, this HUUUGE backpack is my purse... Yea, that's it, it's my purse..." :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter