CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for those who have sailed the Breakaway in the Bermuda...

Right now, every tuesday, the price of the next cruise drops dramatically. For the last two weeks I noticed that the prices went as low as 668$ CND/pp (before taxes)...

Is it realistic to hope for the same prices mid-june? (I noticed that past June 25 the prices jump) I would most likely book the cruise 5 days before departure.

Thanks in advance.

P.s.: The website won't let me see the US prices. That is why I am giving the CND $ rates.

Question for those who have sailed the Breakaway in the Bermuda...

Right now, every tuesday, the price of the next cruise drops dramatically. For the last two weeks I noticed that the prices went as low as 668$ CND/pp (before taxes)...

Is it realistic to hope for the same prices mid-june? (I noticed that past June 25 the prices jump) I would most likely book the cruise 5 days before departure.

Thanks in advance.

P.s.: The website won't let me see the US prices. That is why I am giving the CND $ rates.
Have you tried the NCL board on cc.?

Have you tried the NCL board on cc.?

Not yet. EDIT: Just done it.

I inquired by e-mail to NCL and their only answer was a courtesy hold 700$ higher than what we can afford that will expire in three days. I will let it expire and wait until the prices go down again.

Last edited:
I've just read another Carnival bashing thread (I noticed that many of you have replied on it)... All I have to say is that I'm more and more surprised when I read bad reviews about Carnival. Not that it is not possible to have a bad experience (it's not like I've tried all their ships).

But I've recently started my "cruise books" (I put all the infos we need about the ship, infos about included and non-included restaurants, infos about all the activities we would enjoy, itinerary, deck plans and other tips) for the Carnival Vista and the Norwegian Breakaway. My husband is pleasantly surprised that there are so many options. I feel like there is something for everybody to enjoy.

And I am always surprised when people make such drastic statements. Unless the ship sunk or end up like the Triumph in 2013, I have a hard time believing that one cannot appreciate a few things about their cruise.

Last edited:
I've just read another Carnival bashing thread (I noticed that many of you have replied on it)... All I have to say is that I'm more and more surprised when I read bad reviews about Carnival. Not that it is not possible to have a bad experience (it's not like I've tried all their ships).

But I've recently started my "cruise books" (I put all the infos we need about the ship, infos about included and non-included restaurants, infos about all the activities we would enjoy, itinerary, deck plans and other tips) for the Carnival Vista and the Norwegian Breakaway. My husband is pleasantly surprised that there are so many options. I feel like there are something for everybody to enjoy.

And I am always surprised when people make such drastic statements. Unless the ship sunks or end up like the Triumph in 2013, I have a hard time believing that one cannot appreciate a few things about their cruise.

OMG, me neither. I don't know how someone can take a 7-day cruise and find soooo much wrong to write about. My question is always "did they enjoy this trip at all, or did they spend the whole time finding things to complain about"? What a waste of money that would be.

We have had "something" happen on each of the 16 cruises we have taken. Some of the things were big (Pride of Aloha) and the rest were minimal, like worn carpet in an area, a rust spot, a cracked bathroom tile, etc........all the things you always see in these "bad" reviews. For us, they certainly are not enough to "ruin" our cruise or keep us rom sailing on that ship again.

Case in point: our very first cruise on Carnival we discovered that the atrium on the Glory was shockingly small. It was beautiful, but the smallest one I've ever seen. We discovered throughout the cruise that they decided there should be a live DJ in there every afternoon and early evening -- making it absolutely impossible to talk to guest services or shore excursions because no one could hear. I had never seen that on any other ship and it kind of surprised us. Did I complain about it as ruining our cruise in my comments -- NO. Did I let the fact that NCL nickled and dimed us to death (LOL) ruin our cruise -- NO, because I had done research and expected it.

If you choose to let those things ruin your cruise (and there are those who will), then maybe you should book an all inclusive resort and hunker down. And BTW, we found the same set up on the Breakaway last year -- so we chose our times wisely between acts and game shows when we had to go to guest services or shore excursion desks. We had a fabulous time on that ship. I would sail both NCL and Carnival again.

But I've recently started my "cruise books" (I put all the infos we need about the ship, infos about included and non-included restaurants, infos about all the activities we would enjoy, itinerary, deck plans and other tips) for the Carnival Vista and the Norwegian Breakaway. My husband is pleasantly surprised that there are so many options. I feel like there are something for everybody to enjoy.

And I am always surprised when people make such drastic statements. Unless the ship sunks or end up like the Triumph in 2013, I have a hard time believing that one cannot appreciate a few things about their cruise.

A 3 day cruise on almost any other line besides DCL is definitely a party cruise. I may enjoy something like that once in a while but I would not take my kids on anything shorter then 7 nights on the newer Carnival ships (more family friendly and honestly cost a bit more so would probably keep the partiers at bay). I want to try the Carnival Horizon next year out of NY, but it's only 6 months after our DCL cruise and the cost is on par with our 7 nights on the Fantasy out of PC. We don't use cc so I'm thinking it's not doable...but I may book it anyway and keep it to myself until closer to the PIF date. Bjs is also doing a special where they front the deposit so I would only have to pay 24.99 to book today!

A 3 day cruise on almost any other line besides DCL is definitely a party cruise. I may enjoy something like that once in a while but I would not take my kids on anything shorter then 7 nights on the newer Carnival ships (more family friendly and honestly cost a bit more so would probably keep the partiers at bay). I want to try the Carnival Horizon next year out of NY, but it's only 6 months after our DCL cruise and the cost is on par with our 7 nights on the Fantasy out of PC. We don't use cc so I'm thinking it's not doable...but I may book it anyway and keep it to myself until closer to the PIF date. Bjs is also doing a special where they front the deposit so I would only have to pay 24.99 to book today!

I think it also depends on the time of year you go whether you get "partyers" and a lot of kids, and the cruise itinerary. We went on the Carnival Glory out of NYC for a 4-night cruise and we saw none of the "party" atmosphere they talk about, but it could be because it was a New England/Canada cruise. I think maybe the young "partyers" go to the Caribbean more.

A 3 day cruise on almost any other line besides DCL is definitely a party cruise.

YES! It's always been obvious to me and I am quite surprised to hear that some people go on very affordable three nights cruises and expect anything else.

That being said, I was expecting our 4 nights Bahamas cruise on the Carnival Victory to be a booze cruise but turns out it was very quiet. Or maybe we just go to bed too early? :rotfl2:

Last edited:
But I've recently started my "cruise books" (I put all the infos we need about the ship, infos about included and non-included restaurants, infos about all the activities we would enjoy, itinerary, deck plans and other tips) for the Carnival Vista and the Norwegian Breakaway. My husband is pleasantly surprised that there are so many options. I feel like there is something for everybody to enjoy.

And I am always surprised when people make such drastic statements. Unless the ship sunk or end up like the Triumph in 2013, I have a hard time believing that one cannot appreciate a few things about their cruise.
What a brilliant idea! I had never thought to do that but I'm going to now, thanks.
I personally think that the some people go in ready to compare ships to DCL and as such already have an idea that they 'will not like it'. What they find has to confirm this so, they find it. What ever 'it' is it will be there. Then they can justify to themselves that DCL is worth the cost and so they will keep doing it. What some of these people don't get is you don't need to justify your decision to anyone else. They don't need to tell me that they have cruised other lines and they just are terrible. There are no redeeming qualities out there. Their findings are their findings.
I've said it before, I was one of those who were very afraid to try something else. The difference between me and 'them' was that I walked in with an open attitude. First 5 minutes I kept thinking that we had made a mistake. At that point I had two choices. Keep that thought or give myself a shake and put DCL away for a week. I packed her away and had an amazing time. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!
As you and others have said, we make of it what we want.

What a brilliant idea! I had never thought to do that but I'm going to now, thanks.
I personally think that the some people go in ready to compare ships to DCL and as such already have an idea that they 'will not like it'. What they find has to confirm this so, they find it. What ever 'it' is it will be there. Then they can justify to themselves that DCL is worth the cost and so they will keep doing it. What some of these people don't get is you don't need to justify your decision to anyone else. They don't need to tell me that they have cruised other lines and they just are terrible. There are no redeeming qualities out there. Their findings are their findings.
I've said it before, I was one of those who were very afraid to try something else. The difference between me and 'them' was that I walked in with an open attitude. First 5 minutes I kept thinking that we had made a mistake. At that point I had two choices. Keep that thought or give myself a shake and put DCL away for a week. I packed her away and had an amazing time. Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!
As you and others have said, we make of it what we want.

I am in the "cruise books" club like mevelandry. For years I start a 3-ring notebook with everything I can find out about the ship (if it's a new one for me), their deck plans, dining, events, etc. I also include our reservation confirmations, luggage tags and any excursion confirmations. It's pretty full when we leave, but since I duplicate everything, I leave one set at home and throw away the pages as we go.

Thank you! :) And if you can find a binder with a zipper and add little plastic envelopes/page holders it's even better because you can also put everything you need in it (plane tickets, reservations, luggage tags). I place it all in the order I'm going to need it:

-Complete itinerary (with open spots so I can write down last minute activities)
-Taxi reservation and cash to pay for it
-Passports and boarding passes for the flight
-Hotel reservation (pre-cruise stay)
-Restaurant reservation
-Luggage tags for the cruise
-Shuttle reservation
-Boarding passes for the cruise
-list of activities or other requests I have to make at Guest Services when I board the cruise
-list of included/non-included restaurants (including details like dishes recommendations, opening hours (when available) and best time to go...)
-list of bars or other venues we'd like to visit (including recommendations, opening hours (when available) and best time to go.)
-list of included/non-included activities (including recommendations, opening hours (when available) and best time to go.)
-list of shows that we might want to see an schedules (for the last four sections, Fun Times/Personal Navigators and other old "journal" are very useful)
-list of stuff to bring for each excursion (you can also put the tickets & cash for the day and gratuity in the page holder)
-Documents or tags you're going to need for disembarkation
-Hotel reservation for post-cruise stay (if necessary)
-Boarding passes for the returning flight

I can usually make it all fit in a 1 inch binder. :)

As you and others have said, we make of it what we want

Exactly. An open attitude is the key. I can absolutely relate to that.

When I cruised the Victory, I was so scared of it being a mistake that I booked a balcony in case we decide to cloister ourselves in the room (and stay away from those evil "party cruisers"), brought board games in case we would get bored, and I ordered decorations in case I hated the cabin, etc. But in the end, I went with an open heart and I did not need any of it... I have found beauty, I have found comfort, I have found the good service (also, keeping a smile in your face can go a long way: staff members tend to smile more when you appear with a smile on your face) and I have found the fun. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you! :) And if you can find a binder with a zipper and add little plastic envelopes/page holders it's even better because you can also put everything you need in it (plane tickets, reservations, luggage tags). I place it all in the order I'm going to need it:

-Complete itinerary (with open spots so I can write down last minute activities)
-Passports and boarding passes for the flight
-Hotel reservation (pre-cruise stay)
-Restaurant reservation
-Luggage tags for the cruise
-Shuttle reservation
-Boarding passes for the cruise
-list of activities or other requests I have to make at Guest Services when I board the cruise
-list of included/non-included restaurants (including details like dishes recommendations, opening hours (when available) and best time to go...)
-list of bars or other venues we'd like to visit (including recommendations, opening hours (when available) and best time to go.)
-list of included/non-included activities (including recommendations, opening hours (when available) and best time to go.)
-list of shows that we might want to see an schedules (for the last four sections, Fun Times/Personal Navigators and other old "journal" are very useful)
-list of stuff to bring for each excursion (you can also put the tickets & cash for the day and gratuity in the page holder)
-Documents or tags you're going to need for disembarkation
-Hotel reservation for post-cruise stay (if necessary)
-Boarding passes for the returning flight

I can usually make it all fit in a 1 inch binder. :)

Great job. This is the stuff I have become obsessed about doing for trips -- I love the research, organizing, printing. I like those pockets you mentioned -- they work great as a divider but also storage. Sometimes the planning of it leaves one with post-partem depression when the trip is over :rotfl: That's why I always have to have at least two trips going -- the one coming up and at least one future one. Happy planning:thumbsup2

I'm a binder person too! As I do my research and make bookings things get their own slots in those plastic sleeves. While we are traveling I remove items at the end of each day. Organization is the key I always say pixiedust:

What I have normally used in the past is one of the plastic folders with the compartments. Each compartment holds a folder clearly marked with what it is (air, hotel, Disney, Cruise, return air, return hotel). As I collect things in my travels I put them in one of the slots as well (Navigators, business cards). When I get home I print out a spread sheet with my costs for every thing, add it to one of the pockets and put it all away. Then I start with a new slotted folder for the next time. I could have 4 or 5 of these going at one time.

I like the idea of a binder better I think. Easier to label and probably easier to store. Its a brilliant idea and I may have to give it a try.

YES! It's always been obvious to me and I am quite surprised to hear that some people go on very affordable three nights cruises and expect anything else.

That being said, I was expecting our 4 nights Bahamas cruise on the Carnival Victory to be a booze cruise but turns out it was very quiet. Or maybe we just go to bed too early? :rotfl2:
I've never understood what's so bad about a party cruise. Not everyone's a Mouseketeer and needs G rated in your face kid stuff all the time. As much as I like DCL I am an adult and I like to change it up once in a while. Those 3 day cruises out of Long Beach are cheap blow off some steam cruises for adults. I don't think Carnival wants to be Disney on those cruises that's not their target. They make their money off gambling and alcohol on those cruises. They have the newer ships that are marketed to family's. Everything about the Vista and Horizon says family ship to me. The ocean Harbor rooms are an industry first.

I've never understood what's so bad about a party cruise. Not everyone's a Mouseketeer and needs G rated in your face kid stuff all the time. As much as I like DCL I am an adult and I like to change it up once in a while. Those 3 day cruises out of Long Beach are cheap blow off some steam cruises for adults. I don't think Carnival wants to be Disney on those cruises that's not their target. They make their money off gambling and alcohol on those cruises. They have the newer ships that are marketed to family's. Everything about the Vista and Horizon says family ship to me. The ocean Harbor rooms are an industry first.

Yes. And the change from adult pool to family pool too. Carnival is slowly changing its image.

I surprised myself being a little bit annoyed by the DCL shows and parties (Golden Mickey and Dreams, and the first minutes of Frozen, and the pirate party) during my last DCL cruise as I felt like they were really for children most of the time... I definitely prefer more adult entertainment. At home I watch comedy shows like Amy Schumer and Louis CK. I go to the movie theater to watch the Met's Opera La Traviata, if you know what I mean. That's a bit different.

Yes. And the change from adult pool to family pool too. Carnival is slowly changing its image.

I surprised myself being a little bit annoyed by the DCL shows and parties (Golden Mickey and Dreams, and the first minutes of Frozen, and the pirate party) during my last DCL cruise as I felt like they were really for children most of the time... I definitely prefer more adult entertainment. At home I watch comedy shows like Amy Schumer and Louis CK. I go to the movie theater to watch the Met's Opera La Traviata, if you know what I mean. That's a bit different.
I love kids and love Disney, but I also like adult stuff. I'm going to Vegas this Summer. I can't wait even though I don't gamble. I love movies, but I'm not a fan of Disney movies. I like movies with substance, and Disney just doesn't offer that. I'm really looking forward to the IMAX on the Vista. I wish Disney would show some non- Disney movies on their ships, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. I've tried sitting through movies like Frozen, and Nemo. I just can't do it I'm bored to tears. Some of the marvel movies are tolerable, and some aren't. I do love Star Wars, but Rogue One...meh.

What I have normally used in the past is one of the plastic folders with the compartments. Each compartment holds a folder clearly marked with what it is (air, hotel, Disney, Cruise, return air, return hotel). As I collect things in my travels I put them in one of the slots as well (Navigators, business cards). When I get home I print out a spread sheet with my costs for every thing, add it to one of the pockets and put it all away. Then I start with a new slotted folder for the next time. I could have 4 or 5 of these going at one time.

I like the idea of a binder better I think. Easier to label and probably easier to store. Its a brilliant idea and I may have to give it a try.
I use the plastic folders too, I have 4 going right now, 2 for the Disney cruises and 2 for the Carnival cruises we have booked. They work great, best thing we could have ever started doing.

I don't keep folders or anything. I've done so much traveling it's all in my head. I do store confirmations on my I- phone. I used to make list so I wouldn't forget anything. I stopped doing that, and I NEVER forget anything from home. That may sound great, but I have my flaws. I can't tell you how many things I've left in hotel room. I think I've lost my credit card at least three times while traveling. I'm great until I actually leave the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter