Caribbean v Animal Kingdom Lodge?

dossie

Too long to wait until my holiday!
Hi
HAve booked two weeks at Caribbean Beach (been there before and loved it!) for our forthcoming trip in July 2007. I am considering upgrading to AK Lodge as a surprise for my wifr and children (age 3 and 5). Can anyone advise if this is a good idea with children this age - AK Lodge seems less child friendly but like the idea of animals, savannah, three places to eat etc..

Stayed at AKL last summer it was great kids loved it.
The animals are great and something to do for the kids every day.

If I were making the choice, it would be AKL .. hands down! I don't have little kids, but I've seen them by the pool many days doing the various kids' activites. The storytelling by the firepit is fun for the whole family.

Watching a group of 8 or 9 zebras running full blast right in front of our balcony is an experience that can't be beat!

The pool is very nice with a slide and zero entry. It is large enough where it doesn't seem too crowded.

Mara is our favorite counter service in any resort. There are nice selections of hot and cold food. Even when we are not staying there, we stop by to get a chicken sandwich on pretzel bread and some zebra domes. Breakfast and dinner at Boma are very good! We eat there almost every trip. Jiko is a wonderful experience with excellent food and service.

We stayed at AKL when our kids were 4 & 2. They're both really into animals, esp. the younger one. We had a great time. The kids loved being out on the balcony and watching the animals. They also really enjoyed the story telling at night. I'd definitely choose AKL. I can't wait to stay there again someday.

I've been to both AKL and CBR -- here are my thoughts. Bear in mind, my kids are a little older.

At AKL, my DS's were 13 and 10 -- they loved the savannah view and all the other places you could see the animals -- that was a big hit, and they also loved the pool. BUT, it was a verrrrrry long walk for us from our room to the pool, to the Mara snack bar, to the lobby, to the buses..... just depends where your room is. My DS13 loved Boma, but my DS10 didn't like it -- too many "different" foods -- exactly what my DS13 DID love....

When we went to CBR, we had a preferred location and a shorter walk to the food court and main pool there than we had at AKL. My DS's (then 14 and 11) loved the quiet pool, because there was rarely anyone else there (and this was during our Spring Break). The food court was great (were not table-service people as much) and there was plenty they could choose from and liked. We had a short walk to the bus stop too, and the buses were frequent. CBR gets a bad rap for the size of the resort, but because there are more bus stops you don't have to walk as far to get to them.

Not sure what's best for you and your kids, but we're headed back to CBR next year!

AKL hands down. We just got back with our 18month old and this place is the most child friendly I have ever found. It is a deluxe with a food court BIG PLUS. Boma was a big hit with my 2 picky eaters. The resort is small enough that it is manageable. It has the biggest pool on property. Plus the animals. We just changed our November trip from the BWV to AKL if that gives you a clue how much we loved this place. The activities in the hotel along could occupy an entire week. I have stayed at both and believe me there is NO comparison. Have fun. :thumbsup2

AKL is extremely young child friendly, so much so our teens no longer want to stay there. They have tons of activities for them, the animals, very kid geared pool with the food court and playground right there, kids club, very good food court, and my kids loved trading pins with all the CMs.

We stayed at CBR with young kids and it was alot of work. The walking was too much, it really needed more shade (and we weren't there in summer), the playground was secluded, not great and lots of birds, and the pool was too crowded (it's too small for size of resort). I think for adults it is okay, but I wouldn't go with small kids.

Thanks for all of your advice. I went with my gut instinct and have changed my original booking - now will be going to AK lodge (Savannah view) next July. Very excited!
Any tips or advice about this reort most gratefully received.

Kid Activities include: Cookie Decorating, African Folktales at the Firepit, Animal Viewing with Night Vision, African Safari with Medallion Crayon Rubbings, Pool Games and Activities, African Games and Crafts.....Build your own Bead Necklace by participating in Flamingo Feedings, Animal Tracking, Junior Researcher, Music from the Savanna and Games with Savanna Guides. There are so many CMs there, it was a great place for the kids to pin trade.

Also offer: Horticulture Activity, Culinary Tour of Africa and Spirit of Africa Art Tour.

Check out the whole hotel as there is art everywhere as well as viewing areas and sometimes nice quiet seating in viewing areas. Check out any nook you can find. BOMA is a African Buffet (but not all food is so ethnic) that is wonderful and requires ADR early. Occassionally we saw performers in the lobby and there are lots of students from all over Africa working there. Was so interesting to ask them about their countries. Once there were children from Africa doing incredible artwork in the gift shop (which is very nice) and we ended up buying a piece they were working on. Firepit inside and out.

If you have a video camera with night vision, bring it. It works the same as their night binocs and they you can use it all over and from your balcony. Bring some small binocs as well since you are savanna view.

ENJOY ! A spectacular resort !

You will not regret the decesion. I found alot of info here.

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_akl.htm

I think the 2 biggies for me were the food court and bus service. With little ones you just cant compare this resort to any other. Have fun and I hope you enjoy the place as much as we did. I also wrote a review if you want to check it out. :cool1:

We went with our DS he was almost 5. He loved it. They have tons children's programs that he went too. They were great with the kids - I wish I could have done them too!!

And one of the best parts was the zero entry pool. Our DS wasn't afraid of water, but at that point didn't go under the water. Well, the AKL changed all of that!!! Because he felt comfortable enough to stand in the water, he kept putting his face in the water and then we couldn't get him out. It really was a turning point in his swimming.

Also, what's not to love about all of the animals. Eating breakfast every morning with my own personal giraffe. I would stay there again in a heart beat (but I need to go sleep in one of the log beds at PORS!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter