• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car Seats in a Limo

Allisonjane

Mouseketeer
I have a limo picking me up to take me to my wedding ceremony, my 11 month old daughter will be with me, does she need to be in a car seat? and if so will i need to take one or can i ask the limo company to provide one?

She will need to be in a carseat. You can try asking if they can provide one, but they may not have one. If they don't have one then you will need to provide it.

Thanks, the limo is arranged through disney weddings so im not dealing with the limo rental company myself, i'll have to ask my wedding co ordinator, we will have a car seat with us, it will just be a pain moving it from one car to another, don't like the thought of fitting it while im in my wedding dress.

Thanks, the limo is arranged through disney weddings so im not dealing with the limo rental company myself, i'll have to ask my wedding co ordinator, we will have a car seat with us, it will just be a pain moving it from one car to another, don't like the thought of fitting it while im in my wedding dress.

Will you be picked up where your car is? I ask because I've heard people having ordered a limo with a car seat only to have the driver show up without one! While I agree it'd be worth paying to have a seat brought instead of dealing with it in your dress....having the car seat nearby should they not bring one, or bring one that is not adequate for an 11 month old (rear facing, etc), it never hurts to have a back up. If the driver showed up without it, I'd politely ask him to get the one from my car and buckle it into the limo for me....seems the least he could do with you in your dress and his company failing to fill the requested car seat!

Congrats on the wedding!

Your little one does need her car seat in the limo. I would not use a rental car seat. Rental seats are notoriously lousy. Old, yucky. You don't know the history of them at all.

Take your car seat and install it in the limo. Make sure you install it rf in one of the ff seats. You cannot install a carseat in the rf seats or in a side facing seat. keep your baby safe the day of your wedding. There is a horrible story out there (the family was on Oprah) about an accident a limo had with part of the wedding party in it. Not the limos fault at all but serious injuries and deaths in the limo b/c of a drunk driver hearding the wrong direction. Very tragic story.

There is a horrible story out there (the family was on Oprah) about an accident a limo had with part of the wedding party in it. Not the limos fault at all but serious injuries and deaths in the limo b/c of a drunk driver hearding the wrong direction. Very tragic story.

That is exactly the story this thread brought to my mind. It's a tragic example of how bad things can happen even during special occasions.

OP do you think you could teach your fiance how to install the car seat? it will be easier for him to do than you. Also, you can install most infant seats w/out the base and this actually may be a little easier than trying to mess with getting the base in right. You might try it in your car first to see if thats something you'd want to try. Read your car seat owners manual to see how to do this. hth and hope you have a wonderful wedding day!

She is no longer in an infant seat as she is big for her age and has been in a forward facing seat at home for about a month now so we are taking that one with us. This seat will be fitted in our rental car and my fiance is driving that to the wedding as we do not want to arrive together, my parents will then drive our rental car back to the hotel afterwards with the baby in, as they are looking after her for the night, the limo will then be taking me and fiance - husband by then - to a different hotel, hope that makes sense. So i need to know in advance if i need to take the seat out before he drives off in the car with it in, and then after the ceremony we would neeed to swap it back into rental car, seems alot of messing about to me.
And now i've just had an email from my wedding co ordinator saying me daughter does not need to be in a car seat in the limo, so i still dont know what to do.

I personally would take the carseat regardless of what the co-ordinator said. JMO. That being said- since your dd is 11 months old she needs to be rear facing. Children are required to be rear facing until 1 year of age AND 20 lbs. Longer is better but that is the requirement by law. Good luck with your plans!

Unfortunately your coordinator was mistaken as Florida law requires childen to be in a carseat until age 3 and Livery (Taxi, Limo, Towncar etc) are not exempt.

My experience with relying on a towncar/limo company to provide a carseat has been mixed. Twice they did have an appropriate carseat and twice they had only a low backed booster seat for my then 2yo so I would not rely on them for the appropriate seat for a baby.

In your case I would either take the time to install the carseat in the limo or arrange for someone to drive her in the rental car so you can leave the seat.

Contragulations!

TJ

I don't know the rules where you are from, but here in Florida, she MUST be in a carseat and it MUST be REAR facing until she is over a year AND 20 pounds (not one or the other). I'd just hate for you to have to deal with police on your way to the wedding! Bring her seat, install it rear facing, and have a marvelous wedding!

Alison, I see you're from the UK so maybe the laws are different there, I'm not familiar with other countries car seat laws...but you may want to look at this link: Rear-facing, unmatched safety

The laws of the land may be different, but I'm sure the laws of physics are the same. :goodvibes

hth

Our laws in the UK are based on height, age and weight doesn't come into it. All children under, i think its 4 ft 7ins but dont quote me on that have to be in an appropriate car seat. By appropiate they mean one designed for there size/weight, so it could mean children upto 10 and 11 years old are still using booster seats. My daughter out grew her rear facing seat about a month ago, she is over 20 lbs so she is now in a forward facing seat, so thats the one i was planning on bringing with me to use in our rental car.
Regarding the limo, i think i may decide my daughter goes with either her dad or my parents in the rental car, so we do not have to move her seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter