Car Rentals

MixedUpRichard

Earning My Ears
Hello

We are planning a visit from the UK to LA (Disney and all) in November and are looking for recommendations for a car rental companies.

Who is good? Who's chepaest? (from LAX)

We'll be travelling with our 17month old so will need a car seat too!

Thanks in advance

Really, all you can do, whether at LAX or anywhere else, is comparison shop. Check out Expedia, Kayak, and Hotwire. If you're a member of Costco, check out costcotravel.com. Check carrentals.com. There are plenty of other sites too.

Car rental rates change every day. I don't think anyone can tell you who's cheapest today.

HTH,
Bob

I would use Expedia to compare rates and then if you see a good rate with one of the companies go to their web site and book there since they usually have some sort of discount you can apply. You have to keep checking rates because they change often. I booked with Thrifty because they have "hot rates" which, when you click on it, gives you better rates for your rental period. I will be in LA on Sunday and I booked a midsize for 1 week with Thrifty using the hot rate and am paying $113 (tax in)

Definitely keep looking - the good thing about car rentals is while they take a credit card seldom do they charge ahead of time unless it's hotwire or priceline - for most of them you can book early and then cancel and re-book when you see a better one.

I got a car through Thrifty for $22.95 a day. Our trip is in less than 2 weeks so I gave Priceline a try and got $14 a day for a standard size car through Avis. You do have to pay the car in Advance with the name your price through Priceline.

The Entertainment book has a good coupon for Avis.

Go to "mousesavers" for more info on various discounts.

ETA: Sorry didn't spot the "from the UK" when I responded. I don't think you'll be able to buy an Entertainment book :(

Definitely go to Mousesavers.com and look on the left under "transportation for Disney Vacations". They have codes, coupons for all the major car rental companies (Alamo/National, Avis, Hertz,Budget, Dollar)

I have rented with Alamo, National, Dollar out of LAX. I prefer Alamo because their prices are usually the best (once I apply the discounts) and they have check-in kiosks, which makes it extremely quick to get your contract and out to your car.

At LAX, all cars are off-site--but close--and the shuttle buses run fairly frequently (although I had issues with Dollar)

Maura

Whichever you choose, I recommend booking your rental in advance in the UK, including the recommended insurance.

We used Alamo - doubt very much that they are the cheapest, but as we flew with BA, they were included within the BA fly-drive, & they were fine. (Have also used them many times in Fl).

(When you get there, you will feel tired, & so be aware that most companies will try to sell you unnecessary additions to your insurance - don't buy it!)

Found this on their website regards childseats:

https://www.alamo.com/index.do?action=itemDetails.do&HelpItemID=CHI

- check other companies for their small print on child seats in case they ask for an additionla hire charge for carseat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter