Car Rental or Rideshares?

Where to put the money?

• Rental Car for $630

• Rideshares and Disney Busses

Results are only viewable after voting.

jimmymc

Professional Adventurer!
Looking for input about car rentals! I'm coming for 7 days, 6 nights in September for the Dis Fam. First two nights are at Portofino Bay, and the next 4 are at Jambo House (waitlisted for Copper Creek and Bay Lake Tower for convention access). I'm also going to try a few off property restaurants and attractions. I have direct to car access, so the lines aren't an issue, but the price is $630 for the week. That can buy a lot of Uber rides, and it's just me and my one bag. One last bit is I get Lyft discounts through work and my credit card. What would you do in my spot, keep the rental car or use rideshares?

Thank you!

You forgot the car parking at PB
No free parking at the hotels

go with Lyft

We always rent a car when wanting to shop/eat off-site. More convenient and gives you the most flexibility. Online taxis can be pricey at Disney and also depends on hot many trips you plan to take.

I would vote rental car. With hearing how limited the number of rideshare drivers is, along with the average delay, how much is your time worth. Is it worth waiting around another 15 minutes each trip to get someone to your location to drive? That is always what gets me.

Definitely Lyft and WDW transportation will be your best options.

I often have a rental at Disney, but not at Universal. We are not fans of Disney transportation. I take a Lyft to my universal resort, then when I am ready to leave I pick up a rental, usually at the Doubletree or Holiday Inn as they tend to be less expensive than the Avis at Uni resorts. I am often offsite or have rented DVC to avoid resort parking fees. There are still park parking fees when offsite since I don't have an AP now. Rideshare is definitely more economical these days with high rental car cost though.

I often have a rental at Disney, but not at Universal. We are not fans of Disney transportation. I take a Lyft to my universal resort, then when I am ready to leave I pick up a rental, usually at the Doubletree or Holiday Inn as they tend to be less expensive than the Avis at Uni resorts. I am often offsite or have rented DVC to avoid resort parking fees. There are still park parking fees when offsite since I don't have an AP now. Rideshare is definitely more economical these days with high rental car cost though.

This I might look at. Everything at Universal is walkable, not so much at Disney.

I'm planning to do this in October. May I ask how your experience was with Avis at the Doubletree?

It just depends on how much your time is worth. My brother and his girlfriend for example would happily take Lyft and have no complaints. Personally I like the convenience. So I'd count up approx how much you'd spend on your days there for multiple trips a day with Lyft and see what the difference would be. Personally if its only like $100-200 I'd probably just do the rental car because of the convenience.

I'm planning to do this in October. May I ask how your experience was with Avis at the Doubletree?
It was fine, at least I don't recall any issues. I rented there and returned at MCO. It takes a little longer to do the paperwork but they are rarely busy. I booked through Costco. I walked over from Citywalk and drove back to pick up my luggage at the resort. There is not any choice of cars, between that and my rentals at the Holdiay Inn (Budget? I think), I have gotten a Prius, a Nissan Rogue, something quite large like a minivan once even though I book compact category. You get whatever vehicle they have.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter