Car people - 2006 Lexus IS 250 AWD

Gumbo4x4

Note to the ladies who forgot to
122,000 miles. Intended as a “spare” car to be used by DD at college in CO the next 4 years. Hoping to test drive this weekend. Any thoughts on this car? Have not run car fax yet, but intend to.

Fairly typical Toyota stuff. Bulletproof reliability, though you are adding the complexity of AWD. If it matters to you or DD, it's a fairly vanilla driving experience. The small V6 is powerful enough, but won't scare a BMW owner. Pretty sure it's on the same platform as the Lexus GS series. Interior size is fine for 4. At 112k miles, it's barely broken in for a Toyota, but I'd want to make sure it has had transmission flush, coolant flush, plugs, etc...

For a relatively low cost daily driver, it'll be a great car. I'd put it in the same relative category as a used Accord, Camry, Acura TL, Mazda6.

Fairly typical Toyota stuff. Bulletproof reliability, though you are adding the complexity of AWD. If it matters to you or DD, it's a fairly vanilla driving experience. The small V6 is powerful enough, but won't scare a BMW owner. Interior size is fine for 4. At 112k miles, it's barely broken in for a Toyota, but I'd want to make sure it has had transmission flush, coolant flush, plugs, etc...

For a relatively low cost daily driver, it'll be a great car. I'd put it in the same relative category as a used Accord, Camry, Acura TL, Mazda6.

This is pretty much what I was thinking & was hoping you’d concur. I’m also looking at some newer Subaru Legacy’s in the 2008-2011, 90-105,xxx mile range. My gut says the Lexus might have fewer issues in the long run. And it’s cheaper.

There’s also a ton of cheap BMW’s out there, some under 70,000 miles. But, I know better LOL.

I’m also looking at some newer Subaru Legacy’s in the 2008-2011, 90-105,xxx mile range.

Run away.

There’s also a ton of cheap BMW’s out there, some under 70,000 miles. But, I know better LOL.

Run away even faster (though they're stupid fun to drive)...they're cheap for a reason.

If you want something that reliable but don't buy the IS, I'd look at cars I listed above (I'm assuming you want something similar in size to the IS).

I have a 2012 ES & have never had any problems with mine (knock-on-wood). It’s the best car I’ve ever owned. Mine has 105,000 miles & so far no issues.

I have a 2012 ES & have never had any problems with mine (knock-on-wood). It’s the best car I’ve ever owned. Mine has 105,000 miles & so far no issues.

My air bag was fixed after the recall although it took like a yr to get to me. Lexus told me the older cars were their higher priority b/c they were the ones more likely to actually have a problem so I would think the previous owner would have wanted to get it fixed.

Run away.

Run away even faster (though they're stupid fun to drive)...they're cheap for a reason.

If you want something that reliable but don't buy the IS, I'd look at cars I listed above (I'm assuming you want something similar in size to the IS).

The priorities are reliable, AWD, and small. Oh, and cheap 😂

The priorities are reliable, AWD, and small. Oh, and cheap 😂

Hmmm...if those are the priorities, your selection in small sedans is relatively limited. You could always look at...shudder...."CUV"s like the CR-V, Rav4. You could also look at the G35x or G37x. I own a G37, though not the "x" model. I thoroughly enjoy it, it's our 3rd G series car over the years. We had a 2004 G35x many years ago. It was very sure footed in the snow, we lived in PA at the time. The VQ motor is reliable as the sunrise, they're a stinkin' hoot to drive, AWD, and can be had cheap. They're slightly larger...but only by a few inches. They also require premium unleaded...of the top of my head not sure if the IS250 uses regular. Check out the Lexus, if you like it, it's hard to go wrong. Great car. If you don't, check out the G in x trim.

Hmmm...if those are the priorities, your selection in small sedans is relatively limited. You could always look at...shudder...."CUV"s like the CR-V, Rav4. You could also look at the G35x or G37x. I own a G37, though not the "x" model. I thoroughly enjoy it, it's our 3rd G series car over the years. We had a 2004 G35x many years ago. It was very sure footed in the snow, we lived in PA at the time. The VQ motor is reliable as the sunrise, they're a stinkin' hoot to drive, AWD, and can be had cheap. They're slightly larger...but only by a few inches. They also require premium unleaded...of the top of my head not sure if the IS250 uses regular. Check out the Lexus, if you like it, it's hard to go wrong. Great car. If you don't, check out the G in x trim.

Yeah, ideally I’d like to have a “car”. So, that really narrows the focus.

Where in CO is she going to school? CU, CSU, CC, DU, Mines, or UNC she won't really need to worry about something really good in snow. If she is going to a college in the mountains I would suggest something really good in snow. Subaru Legacy or Forrester would be the top of my list or a a newer Rav. Older Ravs are not so great in the snow.

Yeah, ideally I’d like to have a “car”. So, that really narrows the focus.

Sure does. Not sure exactly where you are, but profile says MO. Doing a really wide search, if you don't mind travelling a bit to get something, both the Lexus and Infiniti will be in a similar price range. Here's a dealer serviced G35x for under $6K. Dealer serviced Infiniti under $6k

monsterkitty, that Subaru "good in snow" is pure marketing hype. They are good, but any AWD system with good tires will do more than fine in Colorado snow. Nothing at all special or unique about the Subie AWD system, and nothing at all wrong or bad about the Rav4 system (we're talking snowy road use, not true off-roading). Problem is Subaru has a number of quality issues...and really poor interiors.

monsterkitty, that Subaru "good in snow" is pure marketing hype. They are good, but any AWD system with good tires will do more than fine in Colorado snow. Nothing at all special or unique about the Subie AWD system, and nothing at all wrong or bad about the Rav4 system (we're talking snowy road use, not true off-roading). Problem is Subaru has a number of quality issues...and really poor interiors.

I live in Colorado. I know the snow. I can see what cars have troubles in the snow and which ones don't. In fact, I even know about tires and things.

I'm a Toyota fan but a lot of my friends drive Subaru. My sister had a 2006 Rav and it was horrible in the snow because it was so light. A coworker who has a 2015 Rav does not have the issues the smaller Ravs had. My friends who drive a Subaru have had no problems with them. Colorado drivers obviously don't care about the poor interiors of the Subaru because there are an awful lot them on the roads here.

Where in CO is she going to school? CU, CSU, CC, DU, Mines, or UNC she won't really need to worry about something really good in snow. If she is going to a college in the mountains I would suggest something really good in snow. Subaru Legacy or Forrester would be the top of my list or a a newer Rav. Older Ravs are not so great in the snow.

Western CO State in Gunnison. Western slope, 7,700 ft, Monarch Pass between her & civilization 😂

I live in Colorado. I know the snow. I can see what cars have troubles in the snow and which ones don't. In fact, I even know about tires and things.

I'm a Toyota fan but a lot of my friends drive Subaru. My sister had a 2006 Rav and it was horrible in the snow because it was so light. A coworker who has a 2015 Rav does not have the issues the smaller Ravs had. My friends who drive a Subaru have had no problems with them. Colorado drivers obviously don't care about the poor interiors of the Subaru because there are an awful lot them on the roads here.

Not saying you don't know snow...living in CO, you definitely must. Lived with snow too, though not to the degree you have. I definitely do know cars...I have to.

The only "light" RAV4 was the first generation from the mid-late '90s. The '06 really isn't any different than the '15 from that perspective, they're both heavy. In fact, it's probably heavier than the Subie. I'd doubt their AWD system has changed much either in recent years. Subaru quality reputation is what it is. It's not German or Italian car poor, but it's definitely several levels below that of its Asian competition. Definitely give Subie a lot of credit, they've done a fabulous job of building an entire cult following on their marketing. You'll see how effective their marketing is by the number of people who say "I wouldn't have gotten home if I didn't have a Subaru." Reality is that it's not true whatsoever, but that's what Subaru wants you to think. Ask anyone in the automotive world and they'll tell you that there really is nothing special about their snow capability or AWD set up. It's very much like any other AWD passenger car. Their sales have skyrocket despite building sub-par cars, it's great for them. More manufacturers is a good thing.

Heading out to your neck of the woods next week. Will be in the Commerce City and Highlands Ranch area. Hoping for good weather. The kids want to go to WaterWorld!! :D

Last edited:
Western CO State in Gunnison. Western slope, 7,700 ft, Monarch Pass between her & civilization 😂

Monarch had over 250" of snow this season. Gunnison was higher than normal as well. I would make sure whatever car you get her has good clearance, AWD or 4WD, and really good tires. Cat litter bags in the back for weight and if she gets stuck she can use the cat litter for traction. At the end of the season if she doesn't have a cat box to use the litter in, she can donate it to a shelter.

I still stand by a Subaru or a Toyota.

Monarch had over 250" of snow this season. Gunnison was higher than normal as well. I would make sure whatever car you get her has good clearance, AWD or 4WD, and really good tires. Cat litter bags in the back for weight and if she gets stuck she can use the cat litter for traction. At the end of the season if she doesn't have a cat box to use the litter in, she can donate it to a shelter.

I still stand by a Subaru or a Toyota.

Fortunately, living on campus, she won’t need to do a ton of driving. But, I know snow can pop up when you least expect it there & want her to be able to get around if she gets caught. At the very least, we’ll put good snow tires on her current (FWD) car. But, we’re also thinking of getting rid of DW’s car and moving her to DD’s current car. So, as long as we’re buying....

My friends who drive a Subaru have had no problems with them. Colorado drivers obviously don't care about the poor interiors of the Subaru because there are an awful lot them on the roads here.

Owner of a 2011 Subaru Outback that is fantastic in the snow. We have had a couple of “big” snows in Atlanta since buying the outback. My husband was one of only a few people in his office to not have to walk home after a big snow. His Subaru got him home with ease! Other people walked home for 6 hours or spent the night at work. It also gets us out of our neighborhood when the giant hill ices over. None of our other cars stand a chance.

It has also been problem FREE. We will always own a Subaru. They are so popular in my neighborhood that most every family owns at least one!

You can also go to lexusdrivers.com and enter the VIN and get a much more detailed history than CarFax

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter