Car negotiation win! (at least in my mind)

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
So we were shopping for a car for DD (just turned 16). Found an 07 Camry Hybrid w/139k miles last week at a "big name" dealer. At that point, it was listed as $8391. Over the weekend, they dropped the price to $7931. Last night, took DS & DD for a test drive. Everyone's happy, let's negotiate. Their first offer was $9000 "out the door". I countered with $6500. They came down to $8000, we came up to $7500. Still too far apart, so we left. The dealer texted me this morning asking if we've thought any more about it, I offered $7750 total and they accepted! So before taxes & fees, it's about $6750.

I'm sure there are people here who will say we still spent too much, but I generally suck at negotiating, and feel if I get the out the door price for less than what they were listing at, I did pretty good.

Sounds like you did well to me in the current market. My mechanic says in the current market, any clunker that will pass smog check is worth $4,000. The car you got sound a whole lot better than a clunker.

Good job! DW has a Camry Hybrid with 180K and it's still running as well as the day she got it (at 40K). Great first car for your DD.

We just bought a new-to-us car yesterday. 2011 Toyota Camry with 88k miles on it. I think we paid $14k--it's a car for our autistic son, so he and DH handled the whole thing. We're all very pleased with Auto von Bismarck, as DS25 calls him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter