Car dealership has buyer arrested because THEY sold him the car to cheap.

I think fair justice would be for the dealership to return any monies he paid for the vehicle (with the plantiff keeping the vehicle) and maybe another $50,000 on top of that.

Idiots :rolleyes2

Makes you wonder if someone in the police department as a relative who is a car salesman? ;)

Playing devil's advocate... I think the buyer knew the car he bought was more expensive - and he got an awesome deal because the dealership screwed up. Just my opinion - when you do your research for buying a new car, you have an idea of how much the models with different options/packages cost. Almost $6k is a lot of $$$, especially on a car with a beginning price like the Traverse, I would guess he went from a base model to a fully loaded one.

That said, once the dealership closed the deal, it was finished. My guess is that several people could have potentially lost their jobs over the transaction - probably business office/sales manager types.

I can't imagine the police just arrested him upon the direction of the dealership people - this was clearly a civil action, not a theft issue. You have to wonder about the relationship between them and the dealership, esp. considering that one came to the guys homes in plain clothes.

$2.2 m - I don't agree - but the settlement they come to will be in the low 6 figures, I would guess.

Can't believe a cop arrested and booked the guy for this!!

I also figure he got the car for 3K -- $33K for a $39K car isnt even close to "stealing" the car.

While $2.2M might be high to ask for, he was arrested...spent 4 hours in jail and I'm sure did endure a fair amount of stress given the calls/letters and such -- not to mention bad press as well.

If the reverse happened, do you think the dealership would issue the customer a refund out of the goodness of their heart? I have zero sympathy for car dealers. A 2 million lawsuit is completely justified. Im certain the dealership has ripped consumers off by much more than 2 million. Just think of how many times they ripped you off every time you go in for service. No sympathy, none.

Many if you are assuming the dealership truthfully explained the circumstances to the police.

Many if you are assuming the dealership truthfully explained the circumstances to the police.

You make a good point. If I'm going to trust the judgement of the police vs. the honesty of the dealership, I'm going with the cops 100 times out of 100. I don't doubt for a second the sales manager called in a stolen car and left much of the detail out of the explanation.

I would think not only a civil suit but also a criminal suit for filing a false claim. Im sure the dealership called the cops saying this "Guy" stole their car an provided documentation but not all of it...

You make a good point. If I'm going to trust the judgement of the police vs. the honesty of the dealership, I'm going with the cops 100 times out of 100. I don't doubt for a second the sales manager called in a stolen car and left much of the detail out of the explanation.

Wonder if anyone at the dealership will get in trouble with the police for making a false accusation?

Yes and those awards were later drastically reduced. IIRC she only ended up with about 10 grand.

No one knows what she actually received, part of the agreement was that it wasn't to be made public.

That shouldn't matter. The police should have investigated the claim by the dealer fully before arresting the man. Anyone can accuse anyone of doing anything. Before an arrest is made those accusations should be fully investigated.

It sounds like the dealership hasn't been honest with the police or the customer. The dealership would have had to press charges to have the guy arrested, and I'm sure whatever documentation they gave to the police to have the customer arrested will be divulged in the lawsuit.

The police investigate by talking to victims. In this case, it's possible the "victim" lied. It's not uncommon for more information to come out after an arrest. The police need probable cause to arrest which is usually the victims statement. Happens all the time.

Most people don't remember that the coffee lady at McDonald's only ended up getting a fraction of what her suit was for, they only remember the 1 million initially in the news.
She asked for a 20k settlement from McDonald's initially. Note that her medical bills plus lost work alone were 18k. So she was offering to settle for just $2k for pain and suffering and no punitive damages. McDonalds should have jumped on this and settled it. But when they stupidly refused, she got an attorney. As of the last court decision before they ultimately settled, they were at 640k. So that's about 32/1. I suppose 32/1 could be considered a fraction. As for what they ultimately settled for, that amount is undisclosed.

Yes and those awards were later drastically reduced. IIRC she only ended up with about 10 grand.
The last amount that was the result of litigation was 640k. The parties ultimately settled for an undisclosed amount.

She asked for a 20k settlement from McDonald's initially. Note that her medical bills plus lost work alone were 18k. So she was offering to settle for just $2k for pain and suffering and no punitive damages. McDonalds should have jumped on this and settled it. But when they stupidly refused, she got an attorney. As of the last court decision before they ultimately settled, they were at 640k. So that's about 32/1. I suppose 32/1 could be considered a fraction. As for what they ultimately settled for, that amount is undisclosed.

The last amount that was the result of litigation was 640k. The parties ultimately settled for an undisclosed amount.

I think we already covered all that but thanks. :)

Edit: It appears my memory of the case was a bit rusty.

I'm not sure about the laws in that state, but isn't it that if you are arrested for Grand Theft that is doesn't come off of your record even if you are found not guilty and released? You still were arrested for GT.

I'd sue, too.

Now if this said that an error gave him the car for 3000 instead of 30,000 ok. No reasonable person would think the car should be that cheap.
Sorry, I disagree. Even IF the guy got the car for $3K, the dealership agreed to the deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter