Capacity has been increased

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I can't remember what links I can/cant share, but it's been announced by everyone from KtP to Forbes that Disney is increasing capacity effective immediately. They didn't say to what however.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about this online. Not due to Covid, but wait times. Many are saying that increasing without adding FP+ or opening up shows/people-eaters, is just a bad idea as wait times have been bad enough.

At yesterday's share holders, Bob Chapek publicly stated that they already have been increasing capacity - not just effective immediately. This has been highly suspected by many on these boards for the past couple months.

You are right - they need to open shows, restaurants and people eaters in order to increase guest satisfaction right now.

So, ^^^, as in they have already started to increase it effective immediately, before the public announcement. Not months ago.

I say, open up all shows/restaurants, reinstate fp, drop the park reservation system, and let’s call it a day. :)

Curious, why ditch the reservation system? I don't actually see it as that bad of a thing?

I agree! If you move to 50%+ capacity that's pretty much a regular day, how do you not have FP? Or at a minimum all the eating and shows open!

This is what I'm seeing online. And I totally agree. I know people love to reminisce about the days before FP+, but those were a long time ago, and crowds have increased significantly since then. I just don't see how they're going to be able to maintain customer satisfaction with regular crowd levels, with reduced offerings that help eat crowds and no FP+.

Curious, why ditch the reservation system? I don't actually see it as that bad of a thing?
Just a pain in the butt. One more thing to do. You got your AP pool and your ticket pool. One is sold out, the other isn’t. You‘ve gotta phone if you see availability in one pool, not the other, but you qualify for the other......just seems like an unnecessary hassle to me.

Just a pain in the butt. One more thing to do. You got your AP pool and your ticket pool. One is sold out, the other isn’t. You‘ve gotta phone if you see availability in one pool, not the other, but you qualify for the other......just seems like an unnecessary hassle to me.
Once the reservation becomes a mere formality (ie there is alway availability) it will go away.

I wonder what “immediately” means b/c nothing has changed as far as park reservations or dining availability for my trip in a couple weeks.

I wonder what “immediately” means b/c nothing has changed as far as park reservations or dining availability for my trip in a couple weeks.

About a month ago they opened availability for all parks in May and June. Lasted about a day before days went back to yellow on the calendar.

Same here. Since the call yesterday I've been checking the availability calendar pretty regularly and if anything availability has gotten worse (used to show Epcot some days, now nothing). I think what OP is seeing is in reference to the fact that they have ALREADY increased availability (which would also explain the dump of extra park reservations a few weeks back).

That's not to say they won't increase it more, but theoretically we should be able to track that by watching the availability calendar for park reservations. Also, like everyone else, I'm in full agreement they need to start opening things back up ASAP since it seems crowds are only building.

I think, as has been said, one of the major things holding up opening up more things is staffing. Not only will some existing things need more staff as capacity increases but so will new restaurants, shops, etc opening back up. The DCP should help with some of that and they are doing a big hiring push right now but once people are hired they still need to be trained. I’ve heard reports from people at WDW that they’ve seen groups training at various locations so that’s good. It’s just going to take some time and I think will be an ongoing process for a while.

Last edited:
Same here. Since the call yesterday I've been checking the availability calendar pretty regularly and if anything availability has gotten worse (used to show Epcot some days, now nothing). I think what OP is seeing is in reference to the fact that they have ALREADY increased availability (which would also explain the dump of extra park reservations a few weeks back).

That's not to say they won't increase it more, but theoretically we should be able to track that by watching the availability calendar for park reservations. Also, like everyone else, I'm in full agreement they need to start opening things back up ASAP since it seems crowds are only building.
Makes sense that immediately actually means as soon as possible. It isn't a light switch. But I completely agree they've been already increasing capacity, yesterday's news just gave them the green light to go even further.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter