Can't purchase Disney gift card w/ Target gift card?

I had two orders cancelled yesterday. The first one was for just a $50 Disney gift card. I used four Target gift cards to cover $45 with the remaining $2.50 going on my Target card. That order was cancelled immediately so I tried again a couple of hours later. The second order contained three additional items for a grand total of $116. I again applied four gift cards totaling $45 with the remaining balance going on my Target card. This order did contain one item that could only be picked up in the store. I have a feeling that the item was not actually available and removing that item from the order would mean that the Disney gift card was once again being covered by the Target gift cards so they cancelled the whole order. I may try again again today but I don't have a good feeling about this. I ordered another Disney gift card on 8/11 and that order went through no problem.

I had two orders cancelled yesterday. The first one was for just a $50 Disney gift card. I used four Target gift cards to cover $45 with the remaining $2.50 going on my Target card. That order was cancelled immediately so I tried again a couple of hours later. The second order contained three additional items for a grand total of $116. I again applied four gift cards totaling $45 with the remaining balance going on my Target card. This order did contain one item that could only be picked up in the store. I have a feeling that the item was not actually available and removing that item from the order would mean that the Disney gift card was once again being covered by the Target gift cards so they cancelled the whole order. I may try again again today but I don't have a good feeling about this. I ordered another Disney gift card on 8/11 and that order went through no problem.
Yep, can't do it now. My guess is it's dead:(

You can still purchase a Disney GC using a Target GC in store. Nothing in their system flags or prevents it at this point in time. I bought a $50 Disney GC with a $50 Target GC last night (and about $10 of odds and ends purchased with a different form of payment) with zero issues. It seems like it is really going to be Target/cashier dependent going forward.

Target shares Tumble as Sales Drop, Outlook Cut
and
Target Q2 Income Falls 9.7% as Sales Drop
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/08/17/target-second-quarter-earnings/88611818/

Poor Target....maybe they'll offer more gift card discounts and change their policy again as we approach the holiday season:)
Or maybe they changed policies to help their bottom line because they are struggling. I hate to think these savings are gone, but if I were a shareholder (I'm sure a little is in my 401k) I'd probably be glad they made these changes. I guess the question is were they making money selling gift cards paid for with Target gift cards. If so, I doubt they would have changed the policy.

Or maybe they changed policies to help their bottom line because they are struggling. I hate to think these savings are gone, but if I were a shareholder (I'm sure a little is in my 401k) I'd probably be glad they made these changes. I guess the question is were they making money selling gift cards paid for with Target gift cards. If so, I doubt they would have changed the policy.

I agree with you; my post was a poor attempt at being facetious, especially since even most/all orders that include non gift card items are being cancelled at the moment. I recall many posts of people indicating they would not have done any business with Target if not for the gift card loophole. Time will tell.

I agree with you; my post was a poor attempt at being facetious, especially since even most/all orders that include non gift card items are being cancelled at the moment. I recall many posts of people indicating they would not have done any business with Target if not for the gift card loophole. Time will tell.
Sorry! I can be dense:) I agree.

I just tried to purchase $200 of disney GC with my target gift cards and it was cancelled. sounds like it isn't just related to the disney gift cards. I'll keep trying!

You can still purchase a Disney GC using a Target GC in store. Nothing in their system flags or prevents it at this point in time. I bought a $50 Disney GC with a $50 Target GC last night (and about $10 of odds and ends purchased with a different form of payment) with zero issues. It seems like it is really going to be Target/cashier dependent going forward.
I can't see it being a cashier dependent thing.

When I bought my 3 Disney gift cards (total of $150) using a total of 5 Target gift cards (total of $150) on 8/3/16 (I posted about it on page 2 of this thread) I mentioned there were no signs on the gift card nor no signs from Target regarding any limitations. Granted perhaps since 8/3/16 they might have put those up but the cashier wouldn't be able to say no if there was no policy regarding it in store. If there was a policy on it I would want to physically see it and where it lists the limitiation is for in-store as well as online.

I would expect that if this becomes the policy for in store that they would place signs regarding this at least for a while after the new policy was started.

There are many stores that have different policies regarding their websites and their brick and mortar stores. Some stores don't even price match their online prices if you are in store because they do special pricing for online purchases, etc.

Someone posted on a FB thread - after having her purchase cancelled twice she talked to several ppl at Target and they changed their policy effective Aug 4/16 to not allow this purchase anymore. The system is now up to date and enforcing is so no longer can buy a disney gift card with a target gift card. They will also be enforcing it in the stores.

ETA - this goes for all gift card purchases - not allowed to use a gift card to purchase another.

I purchased $1300 worth on Monday night with no issues... items shipped and will be here Friday. I purchased $750 yesterday afternoon (Tuesday) and they were all cancelled almost immediately.

Someone posted on a FB thread - after having her purchase cancelled twice she talked to several ppl at Target and they changed their policy effective Aug 4/16 to not allow this purchase anymore. The system is now up to date and enforcing is so no longer can buy a disney gift card with a target gift card. They will also be enforcing it in the stores.

ETA - this goes for all gift card purchases - not allowed to use a gift card to purchase another.
Not surprising:( I have what I need for my cruise but if I didn't and was sitting on Target gift cards I'd be heading to the closest store.

I can't see it being a cashier dependent thing.

When I bought my 3 Disney gift cards (total of $150) using a total of 5 Target gift cards (total of $150) on 8/3/16 (I posted about it on page 2 of this thread) I mentioned there were no signs on the gift card nor no signs from Target regarding any limitations. Granted perhaps since 8/3/16 they might have put those up but the cashier wouldn't be able to say no if there was no policy regarding it in store. If there was a policy on it I would want to physically see it and where it lists the limitiation is for in-store as well as online.

I would expect that if this becomes the policy for in store that they would place signs regarding this at least for a while after the new policy was started.

There are many stores that have different policies regarding their websites and their brick and mortar stores. Some stores don't even price match their online prices if you are in store because they do special pricing for online purchases, etc.

It is cashier dependent in the sense that some cashiers will immediately balk at even trying to process the payment despite the lack of any official signage and corporate policy clearly communicated to customers, and are unwilling to budge on their stance. Other cashiers will process it without hesitation or question. Sometimes it isn't worth getting into with a cashier and it is easier to just try another cashier later. I personally rather do that than get store management involved and ultimately have them set a policy for the store (whether it is in line with the corporate one or not) that doesn't allow "entertainment cards" to be purchased with Target GC. As of 8/16 my local target did not have any signage indicating it was not allowed, so if corporate has changed their policy, it has not been clearly communicated to the stores and their employees.

So if you buy a GC off Raise and use it to buy a Disney GC on line along with your red card you still get 5% off the entire order?
I did this last week - I purchased $750 in Disney gift cards. I used $743.67 in Target gift cards and used my redcard for the remaining $6.33. $37.50 came off the total order.

Again, this was last week. After reading some posts it looks like the new policy went into effect this week.

I just went to the Target .com website to try my luck. $100 Disney GCs are listed as only being available in store. I ordered 2 $50 GCs and paid with 4 $25 Target GCs. It was canceled in less than 5 minutes. Off to Target to buy the GCs there. I'll miss the extra 5% off but these were free GCs from rewards programs, so I really should not complain.

ETA - I'm back from my local Target. Absolutely no Disney GCs at any of the checkouts and not even empty slots where they would have been. There were $50 GCs in the electronics section but no $100s. I used half of my Target GCs to buy several of the $50 Disney GCs (but I didn't clean the shelf). Went to the self-service checkout where my only problem was that GCs don't weigh enough to register when they are bagged. A team member had to override the "I don't want to bag this item" twice for me.

Last edited:
I just ordered a $50 Disney gift card from Target.com on Monday. I used 4 Target gift cards to pay. The order did go through and it shipped....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter