Canon xs or Nikon d3100

brinkmom

Earning My Ears
I am looking at buying a new Dslr camera. I want to move up from my point and shoot. This would be my first Dslr. I am leaning more towards a Canon or a Nikon just because I have always known them for their cameras and lenses. I understand that the Nikon's auto-focus is in the lens not the camera, thus limiting buying options. However, this is just for fun and I do not currently plan on buying too many lenses (maybe 2?). I have read good reviews on the Nikon d3100 and it is in my entry level price range. I like the Canon Rebels, but the xs reviews aren't the best. But since I am just starting would I even notice? One of the major complaints on the xs is that it is made of a cheap plastic material and of some of the button placements. Since I have only been using a point and shoot, would I notice the difference? Any input is appreciated!

The Canon shooters can correct me but I don't believe the XS is the current entry level camera for Canon. I think it is the T3i. In the time frame of release the T2i and the Nikon 3100 were released within 6 months of each other. The XS was released in 2008 vs 2010 for the 3100 and T2i.

Yes, you are right....I'm tired and have been looking at way to many models. My sister in law has the xs, so I guess those letters stuck in my mind!

If you haven't handled the cameras yet, I would. I believe both are plastic bodies. You won't get a metal frame until you move up the ladder. Are you looking at the T3 or the T3i because the T3i has a higher dpreview.com rating than the 3100. Another consideration, does your SIL have a bunch of lenses you can borrow from time to time? If that were so, you might want lean towards the Canon, if everything else is equal.

One of the major complaints on the xs is that it is made of a cheap plastic material

I bought an XS a couple of years ago as my first step into the world of DSLRs. The comments regarding it's 'plastic' feel seem to be common from folks that already own significantly more expensive cameras. I personally haven't found the feel of the XS to be an issue - in fact now that I plan to upgrade in a couple of months to a 7D body because of it's brilliant functionality I am wrestling with the fact that it feels like a brick in my hands compared to the XS...this is a good reason to actually handle any camera you will be buying, it's possible that a smaller or lighter camera might be of more importance to you than the most technically capable.

I also think that buying a 'starter' body, adding better glass if you get more into photography, then upgrading to a more capable body is a better way to go. Today's best camera body will get replaced with superior technology in eighteen months or so. Today's best lens will be going strong in a decade.

The good news is that the starter DSLRs from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony are all fantastically capable - especially when you have good glass attached.

I just want to thank you all for your advice! It looks like I will be going with the Canon T3. I was totally convinced that I was going with the Nikon, but now I'm going with the Canon. I think either one would have been fine, but I have a few friends that have the Canon, so I have resources (and lenses) that I can use if needed. Plus, with all the Mother's Day sales going on, I have found a few good deals. Thanks again for the input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter