Candy Cane Inn vs HoJo

Bride In The Attic

DIS Veteran
We are planning a quick trip in August and I'm pricing out hotels. We've seen the Candy Cane Inn on our past trips and I love the look - very cozy. I've also heard good things about the Howard Johnson.

When I price these hotels on line I'm finding HoJo is about $20/night cheaper...

What are your thoughts - is Candy Cane Inn worth the extra money - I know they do have a free cont breakfast which will make up for some of that $20? I'd love to hear feedback on both properties.

Thanks! :D

We were at the Candy Cane Inn in Sept (all the on sites were completely full :guilty:). They (Candy Cane) were doing major renovations at the time. Our room was clean but nothing special. Breakfast again nothing special: apples, bananas, and some pastries and juice. We had alot of noise during our midday breaks from the renovations, and early in the morning also. Given thats it "next door" to CA Adventure it's a much farther walk then the hotels right across the street from the entrance. Never stayed at HoJo's before so I can't compare. I probably wouldn't stay at Candy Cane Inn again. In part because I'd stay somewhere right across the street from the entrance and in part because its just not the same for me not being at the Disneyland Hotel (so take some of my review as missing that).

I have not stayed at CCI but my husband has and he loves it. We have been staying at HoJo's the past few times we have gone. We have gotten the great $45 entertainment card special. The manager at HoJo's is really great too so we have been upgraded to the deluxe room (slightly bigger, fridge, micro) for free. As you can see we love HoJo's, I think the walk from CCI is slightly shorter, but my 4 year old has never had a problem with the walk.

The Candy Cane Inn is the most popular non-Disney hotel in the area, and a lot of people really like it and the breakfast it offers.

The Howard Johnson hotel doesn't offer breakfast, however, it has two pools. The main pool is toward the front and has a nice little wading area & splash zone for the little ones. You can see the Matterhorn & monorail from the pool area. There is also a "quiet" pool surrounded by trees in the middle of the hotel grounds. There are four bldgs w/nice landscaping in between. There are interior corridors, and some rooms also have doors that lead outside - the ones near the pool. There is one tower that is near the freeway, so I recommend that if you stay here, you tell them you want a room facing Disneyland, or at least NOT the one where you can hear the freeway noise.

We stayed in the HoJo in December and loved it - for breakfast we ate at Mimi's across the street. It's a 10 minute walk, has a great pool, and very nice rooms. Just make sure you get a Disney and not freeway view and the noise won't be a problem.

Amyup...

How did you get that Entertainment rate? I tried the entertainment web site, and got 69.00. Is it better to call the hotel directly and ask for the entertainment rate? Does it also depend on the date?

funcinderella said:
Amyup...

How did you get that Entertainment rate? I tried the entertainment web site, and got 69.00. Is it better to call the hotel directly and ask for the entertainment rate? Does it also depend on the date?

I'd like to know this as well - I tried the entertainment web site and didn't get anything better than HoJo's online rate....do I need to ask the hotel directly?

Thanks!
:sunny:

You have to call the hotel directly (714) 776-6120 and ask for the Entertainment rate. It was $45 the last time we stayed there but they only have a couple rooms I think for the discounted price. I also don't know if they will have the rooms at that rate due to the 50th celebration. But I would call the number and try, I have always booked the room about 4 months in advance, when I tried for a last minute trip I was unable to get that price they were sold out of Entertainment rooms.

amyup said:
You have to call the hotel directly (714) 776-6120 and ask for the Entertainment rate. It was $45 the last time we stayed there but they only have a couple rooms I think for the discounted price. I also don't know if they will have the rooms at that rate due to the 50th celebration. But I would call the number and try, I have always booked the room about 4 months in advance, when I tried for a last minute trip I was unable to get that price they were sold out of Entertainment rooms.

Thanks so much Amyup! I just called and got my rate down from $89 to $49/night and that is for the DL view!!

Glad I could help and glad to know the rate is still available!

Amy

Me too, I got the premium room for 60.00
I wonder why not 45.00? (I guess I shouldn't be complaining.)
I'm going April 16-23. What dates are you going? (I'm thinking that might be the reason for the difference, although that's scaring me , I thought that week in April would be slow??)

If you don't mind a little walk, there is an Extended Stay America about 2 blocks from the main gate. The added benefit of a kitchenette (2 burner stove, fridge, microwave + dishes, glasses, silverware & cookware) means you can save $$ on breakfast or have a place to store leftovers from a Downtown Disney dinner. Most rooms are 2 queen beds. Nowhere near the atmosphere of anything on site, but if all your looking for is a place to sleep & eat breakfast, the price is right at about $45 per night.

funcinderella said:
Me too, I got the premium room for 60.00
I wonder why not 45.00? (I guess I shouldn't be complaining.)
I'm going April 16-23. What dates are you going? (I'm thinking that might be the reason for the difference, although that's scaring me , I thought that week in April would be slow??)

We are going June 4th - 6th...maybe because your dates are during some Spring Breaks??? Although I would think it would be cheaper before the 50th celebration begins...I'm expecting our weekend to be PACKED!!

I've stayed at the Candy Cane 4 times and really enjoy it. The landscaping is just beautiful! It's not as close as HoJo but CCI does have a bus that runs to DLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter