Cancun exchange

natt

DIS Veteran
I'm pleased to see recent inquiries on various II exchanges. It's helpful to everyone to get a feel for all kinds of options out there and plan "down the road"!

Just wondering if anyone has done Cancun? Is it an area that there is site seeing and would older kids enjoy it (10-14 range). I would probably lean towards one of the Royal resorts - anyone have input on this?

I'd recommend it and the Royals are great. I'm not sure about the10-14 year olds but the 18-21 will have a blast. There isn't much in Cancun from an activity standpoint that will catch that age that I can think of other than the beach, tours, snorkling and the like. There are big tours you can take but most of the other sites are at least a few hours away. There is a water park south of the island toward the air port and a park called Xcarat that has won a lot of acclaim. Xel ha (I think that's it) has it's following as well. Mayan ruins are within a days distance but overnight would be best for the best ones.

The problem is there's not much down the street you can just turn them lose for.

It has been about six years since I was at the Royal Islander. DS (18) and I (22) went with DM and DD. We did more R & R stuff like hanging around the pool and reading. It is on the beach, but I don't remember hanging out on the beach because of the large rocks and strong undertow. However, I do remember some activities for the kids. DS painted a wooden toucan that hangs on a metal perch. Also, I remember going out for a cruise on a pirate ship. Might want to contact the resort for a list of kids' activities.

We stayed in a 1 bdr. and the rooms were nice and spacious. I still remember the awesome view from our huge balcony that overlooked the Carribbean. I believe our room key doubled as a charge card just like WDW. We ate a couple dinner's at Captain's Cove. I still miss their coconut shrimp! DD and I always looked forward to Happy Hour. Chips, salsa, and Strawberry Coladas!!! Yum!

In addition to our DVC membership, we own 3 weeks in Cancun - 2 at the Royal Caribbean and 1 at the Royal Mayan. Last March, we took the family -DD, SIL, and 2 granddaughters (5 & 9). Now the young ones tell us they would rather go to Cancun than Disney. There are tons of things for all ages. Check out the Royal's web site: www.royalresorts.com and you can find lists of resort activities. There are a number of things to do off property as well. Just go to a search engine and search CANCUN.

Thank-you all for your replys! marty; I will definately look at that site! DH and I went to Acapulco for our honeymoon and Cancun was just then becoming developed. I think it's defininately something our family would consider!

We own at the Royal Islander and I don't think you will be disappointed in any of the Royal Resorts. I prefer staying at one of the 3 together (Mayan, Caribbean, and Islander) because you share the amenities of all of the resorts. It also gives you more dining choices. We have been about 10 times and each time we go, we leave the resort less and less. We didn't dine outside of the resorts once the last time. There are so many options and theme nights. They also have a killer breakfast buffet that will last you until dinner (very reasonable - around $7 for adults).

The resorts are maintained wonderfully and daily maid service is included in your stay (although they don't work on Sunday).

Any age kids will love it there. They have planned activities every day like crafts, sports, contests, and lessons. Most of them are free - I think mostly just the crafts have a small fee for materials. Last year, we had 5 kids with our group aging 1,2,3,4, and 5 and they all had fun. Pre-teens and teenagers will love the pools and beaches and they will meet plenty of other kids their age to hang out with. There is also a Wet-n-Wild water park within 5 miles of there they might like. I would also recommend the XCaret day trip for them.

Honestly, we are now stuck in a rut. We only go to Disney or Cancun for vacations. We have a blast at both of them for different reasons. I just think when you find something good, you might as well stick with it. We always know we will have a magical time at either of the places.

mickeyfanz-
We are stuck in the same rut! Ain't life grand? What weeks do you own? We have 11 and 12 at the Caribbean and 11 at the Mayan. I couldn't agree with you more about the food. We hit the breakfast buffet at least 3 times each week. Saves on lunch!! And, of course, being waited on hand and foot is nice, too. We hit Disney for a "stay busy" vacation and Cancun for "chill-out" time.
I can't imagine anyone of any age not being able to find something to do in Cancun. We also love Xcaret.

Any intrest in trading points for Easter week 2004??

I'm looking to go to Cancun!

2 bedroom.

PM me if interested.

Thanks
Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter