• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancelling Disney under 45 days- No Insurance

tinaninea

Mouseketeer
No, I'm not doing it, I'm not that dumb. But what is the penalty. How much of your money do you get back? Any?

DH want's me to call Disney and ask, but I don't want to jinx myself, lol.

Do you have a package? I believe from 44 days to 6 days prior, package cancellation penalty is $100. Did you book air as part of the package also? Because if so, those are most likely non-refundable but will allow you credit to use on a future flight with a rebooking fee.

I think you lose your $200 deposit if its within 30-45 days and 50% from 30-7 days and the whole thing after that (that's my memory of what the CM told me when I booked).

According to http://allears.net/acc/resort.htm

ROOM ONLY: One nights fee less than 6 days prior to arrival

PACKAGE: Cancellation between 6 and 45 days prior to arrival will result in a $100.00 fee. Cancellation 5 days or less will incur a $200.00 fee. Any change or modification of the reservation inside the 45 day mark will incur a $50.00 fee.

Wow, We're 14 days out now, so if you're right, it's lose 50%. We're driving, so air's not a problem.
Some of our party was affected by Gustav. They are kind of unsure about going now. I'm not sure why, I mean I understand if they can't go now, I just don't know the exact reason. They didn't get any damage. They got power back yesterday, and the big problem is that a lot of stores in the area are still closed. I don't see that decreased work is an issue for either of them right now. Anyway, that's why I'm asking!

Thanks for the Help!

According to http://allears.net/acc/resort.htm

ROOM ONLY: One nights fee less than 6 days prior to arrival

PACKAGE: Cancellation between 6 and 45 days prior to arrival will result in a $100.00 fee. Cancellation 5 days or less will incur a $200.00 fee. Any change or modification of the reservation inside the 45 day mark will incur a $50.00 fee.

I was posting when you were. I looked at that, it sounds much better than 50%. Thanks!

Wow, We're 14 days out now, so if you're right, it's lose 50%. We're driving, so air's not a problem.
Some of our party was affected by Gustav. They are kind of unsure about going now. I'm not sure why, I mean I understand if they can't go now, I just don't know the exact reason. They didn't get any damage. They got power back yesterday, and the big problem is that a lot of stores in the area are still closed. I don't see that decreased work is an issue for either of them right now. Anyway, that's why I'm asking!

Thanks for the Help!

Now the hurricane policy is different....
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQHurricanePage

Hurricane Policy Statement
From June 1 to November 30, 2008, in the event a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area or for the guest's place of residence within 7 days before the scheduled arrival date, the guest may call in advance to reschedule or cancel their Walt Disney Travel Co. Magic Your Way vacation package without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney. This temporary policy also applies to most Walt Disney World® Resort room-only reservations booked directly with Disney, as well as reservations at Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort in the event a hurricane warning is issued for those destinations.

Q. When does this temporary policy become effective?

A. The temporary policy is effective in the event a hurricane warning is issued no more than 7 days before your scheduled arrival date by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area or for your place of residence. It is also effective in the event a hurricane warning is issued for the Vero Beach area or Hilton Head Island area for guests traveling to those destinations.

Q. What can I do if a hurricane warning is issued?

A. If a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area or for your place of residence no more than 7 days before your scheduled arrival date, you may call in advance to reschedule or cancel your Walt Disney Travel Co. Magic Your Way vacation package and most room only reservations (booked directly with Disney) without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney. This policy also applies to Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort in the event a hurricane warning is issued for those destinations. .

Q. Will I be responsible for any cancellation or change fees or other amounts?

A. If you have products and services provided by third party suppliers included in your vacation, such as airlines, hotels, car rental agencies or vacation insurance companies, you will continue to be responsible for any non-refundable payments, as well as cancellation or change fees assessed by those suppliers. The policy does not apply to certain special events or dining experiences.

Q. What if I prefer to reschedule my vacation to a different date because of a hurricane warning? Will I be able to get my same accommodations?

A. If you are scheduled to arrive within seven (7) days of the hurricane warning, you may call us in advance to reschedule without Disney imposed change fee. All amounts you paid to Disney for rooms, park tickets, Disney dining plans and other Disney products and services will be applied toward your new reservation. Any discounts or free offers applicable to your original vacation will not apply to the rescheduled vacation. We cannot guarantee availability of similar accommodations for the new travel dates. The policy does not apply to certain special events and dining experiences.

Q. I received a special offer when I booked my vacation. If I reschedule will I get the same special offer?

A. All amounts you paid to Disney for rooms, park tickets, Disney dining plans and other Disney products and services will be applied toward your new reservation. Any discounts or free offers applicable to your original vacation will not apply to the rescheduled vacation. The policy does not apply to certain special events and dining experiences.

Q. If I want to cancel or reschedule my vacation, what should I do with my airline tickets?

A. If you booked your air travel through the Walt Disney Travel Co. and you want to reschedule, we will attempt to re-book your air travel. But remember, you will be responsible for any cancellation or change fees imposed by the airline. If you did not book your air travel through the Walt Disney Travel Co., you should contact the airline.

Q. I did not book my package through the Walt Disney Travel Co. Does this policy apply to my package too?

A. No, you should contact your travel agent or tour operator directly for information relating to the cancellation and change policies that apply to your package.

Q. I have a sports or group package. Does this policy apply to my package?

A. No, the policy only applies to Walt Disney Travel Co. Magic Your Way packages. It does not apply to sports, youth, or other group or special event rooms or packages and does not apply to meetings and conventions.

Now, see, that doesn't really apply here because that just talks about the Orlando area hurricane warnings, not really those affected in other areas. But since you brought it up, a couple of years ago, we left Disney 2 days early because we had a storm headed towards home and we wanted to go board up the house and get prepared. They cancelled our nights without question and refunded all our money! I think Disney is pretty understanding. :love:

I've had to call to cancel with little to no notice. (DH is military) Anyhow, the CM told me to change my days, not cancel and I didn't have any fees/charges. I'm not sure of an actual policy though.

Now, see, that doesn't really apply here because that just talks about the Orlando area hurricane warnings, not really those affected in other areas. But since you brought it up, a couple of years ago, we left Disney 2 days early because we had a storm headed towards home and we wanted to go board up the house and get prepared. They cancelled our nights without question and refunded all our money! I think Disney is pretty understanding. :love:

It does says right in the policy posted above: "in the event a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area or for the guest's place of residence "

I think that this would apply to this situation won't it??? :confused3

We had to "Change" a ressies once within the 5 day window. The CM said there is a 50.00 fee for doing the change but they normally will just waive that charge...in this case I'm sure they would.

You will need to "change' modify" a ressie not cancel one to not really lose.

It does says right in the policy posted above: "in the event a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area or for the guest's place of residence "

I think that this would apply to this situation won't it??? :confused3

No, it wouldn't, because they're not in the 7-day window from Gustav.

within 7 days before the scheduled arrival date

No, it wouldn't, because they're not in the 7-day window from Gustav.

Yes, but Hurricane Ike (Unfortunately) is coming and that could be her key to cancelling.

Either way, you should call Disney. Sometimes they are willing to work with you and to bend the rules a bit.

Question. Am, I correct in understanding with the hurricane policy. That if I had to cancel my package due to a hurricane, within the free dining promo. I would lose the free dining portion of my package? Yes, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter