Cancelling a dining reservation

TangerineZoe

Earning My Ears
How strict is Disney with the window to cancel your dining reservation? Is it 24 hrs in advance or bust? Or do they only penalize no shows that didn't give any advance notice?

You get charged if you cancel your reservation less than 24 hrs in advance. I think the amount depends on the dining venue, but the two of us were charged ~ $20 for not being able to attend Boma at AKL because of sickness.

Their policy was that if some of the party show up, then they'll waiver the cancellation fee for the unwell person. But if no one shows up, then each party member is subject to a cancellation fee. We talked to concierge to see if there was any other option, but no luck.

We've found that if you call in inside the 24 hour limit but have a good reason, they're pretty good about letting it go.

If you'd like to test the policy, I'd love to gain from your experience. :rolleyes1

But seriously, like most customer service experiences, I think there's more to it than the policy. Are they really busy and turning people away? Do you have a good excuse? Did you call/stop by? Were you expectant that they'd just do away with the policy for you (DYKWIA)?

How strict is Disney with the window to cancel your dining reservation? Is it 24 hrs in advance or bust? Or do they only penalize no shows that didn't give any advance notice?

According to the most recent DLR website Dining FAQ, each restaurant has its own cancellation policy. You might want to call guest services if you're past the 24-hour mark and inquire. No-shows aren't penalized unless the entire party doesn't show up. If at least someone shows up, my understanding is that you aren't penalized.

We were told that you can cancel up to ~8:00 p.m. the night before. I would confirm that this is still current info, however.

I love the vagueness of Disney...
Your xxx ending in #### is being used to guarantee your reservation. It will only be charged in the event that your party does not arrive as scheduled. To keep from being charged, please cancel your reservation within the allotted cancellation period.

And yet, the confirmation does not specify the allotted cancellation period! The FAQ used to have a specific time listed, but they removed that and went to the more vague wording. Honestly, I think if you called by 9:00 pm (when the dining phone line closes) you should be okay. I do agree that 24-hours is the safest, but my guess is that it's a specific time (e.g., 8:00 pm or 9:00 pm).

I love the vagueness of Disney... And yet, the confirmation does not specify the allotted cancellation period! The FAQ used to have a specific time listed, but they removed that and went to the more vague wording. Honestly, I think if you called by 9:00 pm (when the dining phone line closes) you should be okay. I do agree that 24-hours is the safest, but my guess is that it's a specific time (e.g., 8:00 pm or 9:00 pm).

I canceled ADR's for Goofy's kitchen as late as 11pm the night before I was to have breakfast. I was not charged a fee. I also canceled breakfast at Plaza Inn the night before. Both were last month, and in both cases, I canceled the ADR's online.

I canceled ADR's for Goofy's kitchen as late as 11pm the night before I was to have breakfast. I was not charged a fee. I also canceled breakfast at Plaza Inn the night before. Both were last month, and in both cases, I canceled the ADR's online.

Not quite sure why you quoted my post...

Yes, as I mentioned previously, the old FAQ used to specify an exact time (11:59 pm), but the current FAQ has removed that language. The wording on the website and email confirmation is vague, so there is no definitive answer at this point. I generally think it's probably either 9:00 pm (when the dining phone line closes) or midnight, but I don't have anything that says definitively which one it is.

This was always the case for us too, (in late July) their online system was down!!!! I could not call in since it was really late in the evening their reservation line was already closed for the day, I had to wait till the morning of and beg a supervisor not to be charged the 10 pp fee. I was not charged, but was told if it happened again they would not be so accommodating.

I love the vagueness of Disney...

And yet, the confirmation does not specify the allotted cancellation period! The FAQ used to have a specific time listed, but they removed that and went to the more vague wording. Honestly, I think if you called by 9:00 pm (when the dining phone line closes) you should be okay. I do agree that 24-hours is the safest, but my guess is that it's a specific time (e.g., 8:00 pm or 9:00 pm).

Good--maybe that indicates they're rocking back a little on that One Disney nonsense. :mic:

If you'd like to test the policy, I'd love to gain from your experience. :rolleyes1 But seriously, like most customer service experiences, I think there's more to it than the policy. Are they really busy and turning people away? Do you have a good excuse? Did you call/stop by? Were you expectant that they'd just do away with the policy for you (DYKWIA)?

I was just curious as to what other people's experiences were because I have heard conflicting things, as well as the fact that the reservation confirmation does not give a specific window as mentioned above. Sounds like many people have "tested the policy," so thanks anyway - it seems there are quite a few experimental results already.

As for everyone else, thanks for sharing! Thankfully we will be able to make the reservation.

My DD came down with a nasty sinus and double ear infection at DL, 2 weeks ago. I cancelled a noon reservation at Cafe' Orleans, around 1 AM on the day of the reservation. I did it online, and wasn't charged.

During a family trip to Disneyland in 2012, we had made reservations for 8 at the Blue Bayou 60 days in advance. When we arrived, we decided it would be too expensive for that many people. So I went up to the worker at the entrance and cancelled, the day of the reservation. She thanked me for letting them know, and that was it.

During a family trip to Disneyland in 2012, we had made reservations for 8 at the Blue Bayou 60 days in advance. When we arrived, we decided it would be too expensive for that many people. So I went up to the worker at the entrance and cancelled, the day of the reservation. She thanked me for letting them know, and that was it.

The policy to charge was announced and out on hold, but I believe it was late last year that they finally started it.

My advice is to make reservations at the times you are sure you can make it, and at the times you think you might cancel, send someone in your party ahead to put your name in. They give you a buzzer, so you can wander a little in the area (I wouldn't try to fit in a ride, maybe check out the stores.) if there's a chance you might have to cancel reservations through the trip, then try eating at off times to lessen your waits.

I made a couple ADRs on the phone the other day. She said that if I transferred my reservation to another time/place on the same day they wouldn't charge me a cancellation fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter