Cancellation Insurance (non-medical)

JEakins

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have recommendations for trip cancellation insurance for non-medical reasons?

We are looking to book points through a DVC rental site for May but I am in the process of applying to the RCMP which is very unpredictable timing wise so there's a chance I could have to go to Regina for training.

I contacted RBC insurance as we have an avion card but they won't cover it so I'm looking for other options.

That's what we did for our recent Italy trip. We were travelling with friends and we weren't sure if they would have to cancel at the last minute so we got cancel for any reason insurance through CAA at the same time as booking other things. It wasn't that much more than the general trip insurance & medical that we normally get especially since we were only covering a reasonably minimal amount of non-refundable costs.

We used CAA when we rented DVC points thru David's and it was perfect, both the coverage and the rental process BTW. I questioned specifically because I wanted to be sure it would cover this type of accommodation and was told anything non-refundable would be covered.

Good luck with the job BTW!

Thanks for the recommendations. From speaking with my contact I should have no issues travelling in May however we waited too long to try and rent DVC so we will likely stay at Pop again. I will likely still book the insurance through CAA just incase anyways.

We used CAA when we rented DVC points thru David's and it was perfect, both the coverage and the rental process BTW. I questioned specifically because I wanted to be sure it would cover this type of accommodation and was told anything non-refundable would be covered.

Good luck with the job BTW!

sorry, OP, because I don’t want to derail the thread, but I’d love to hear more about how you found renting points through David’s worked!

We’ve never rented points before (largely because like OP, our schedule keeps us from booking with enough notice) but I’ve been very interested. If our schedule allows in the future, would you recommend it?

sorry, OP, because I don’t want to derail the thread, but I’d love to hear more about how you found renting points through David’s worked!

We’ve never rented points before (largely because like OP, our schedule keeps us from booking with enough notice) but I’ve been very interested. If our schedule allows in the future, would you recommend it?
We loved it! We had a specific resort in mind so we put in the request as soon as we could but if you're not 100% set on a specific location David's has last minute sales often that are either good for a specific reservation or for generally speaking, Saratogoa Springs mainly because it's the largest resort. It would be an ideal way for your family to stay on-site since you'll have some cooking facilities for the babe! A huge selling point for us is that they are based out of London Ontario so while you're still paying US costs you only pay exchange rate NOT foreign transaction fee. Couple that with their BB rating and covered under TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario) and it was a no-brainer for us.

We loved it! We had a specific resort in mind so we put in the request as soon as we could but if you're not 100% set on a specific location David's has last minute sales often that are either good for a specific reservation or for generally speaking, Saratogoa Springs mainly because it's the largest resort. It would be an ideal way for your family to stay on-site since you'll have some cooking facilities for the babe! A huge selling point for us is that they are based out of London Ontario so while you're still paying US costs you only pay exchange rate NOT foreign transaction fee. Couple that with their BB rating and covered under TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario) and it was a no-brainer for us.

thanks for the info :) i’ll definitely keep them in mind for next time! we’ve always stayed on site, just never tried renting points.

it’s amazing how priorities change! we’ve looked into saratoga, but DP thinks it looks like a retirement community (this upcoming trip we’re celebratinh her milestone birthday and she wouldn’t see any humour...:duck:) but a kitchen would be such a plus once LO is eating solids, so maybe it’ll be a great fit next trip. this time we’re trying to balance more room space with being as close as possible (baby is an amazing sleeper, which is awesome, but it means we have to get home for most naps and for a looooooong stretch at night). thanks again for great info (as always!)

That's what we did for our recent Italy trip. We were travelling with friends and we weren't sure if they would have to cancel at the last minute so we got cancel for any reason insurance through CAA at the same time as booking other things. It wasn't that much more than the general trip insurance & medical that we normally get especially since we were only covering a reasonably minimal amount of non-refundable costs.
Yes, we actually only bought the Trip Interruption part because we were traveling thru hurricane season. So wanted to get insurance in case airports were closed a few days and couldn’t get out.

My brief experience was great. I put through the request around midnight and by 10am I had a reply saying our request wasn't available, I didn't have any back up requests listed but they still checked every other DVC resort for availability to give us options, Saratoga Springs was the only resort with availability and like yourself we're not crazy about it. When I declined SS they immediately returned the $112 fee, I just checked the emails and it was at 10:20am, their communication and customer service was great.

For us the main draw is staying at a deluxe resort for a fraction of the price, for the dates I was looking at in May, a value studio at animal kingdom lodge was less than a standard room at Pop. There's just 2 of us so we don't need a lot of room which works in our favour.

We will 100% use them for our next trip. When I contacted them before they said they can book 11 months out but if I wanted to submit the request a couple weeks early they would hold it and search for me at the first available date which is what I would recommend.

My brief experience was great. I put through the request around midnight and by 10am I had a reply saying our request wasn't available, I didn't have any back up requests listed but they still checked every other DVC resort for availability to give us options, Saratoga Springs was the only resort with availability and like yourself we're not crazy about it. When I declined SS they immediately returned the $112 fee, I just checked the emails and it was at 10:20am, their communication and customer service was great.

For us the main draw is staying at a deluxe resort for a fraction of the price, for the dates I was looking at in May, a value studio at animal kingdom lodge was less than a standard room at Pop. There's just 2 of us so we don't need a lot of room which works in our favour.

We will 100% use them for our next trip. When I contacted them before they said they can book 11 months out but if I wanted to submit the request a couple weeks early they would hold it and search for me at the first available date which is what I would recommend.

ahh thanks for the details! it sounds like a good experience, even though you didn’t end up booking with them. that price comparison is incredible! we like deluxe hotels too, but the prices really can be astronomical (especially with a struggling canadian dollar)

when i’m in the position to book at 11 months, i’ll definitely give their service a shot. sounds like great customer service and good availability, if you book soon enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter